Filling the Bears Needs

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm also coming around on making the OL a big priority, possibly priority #1. A QB's best friend is a solid OL and might as well do it now while the unit is decent rather than wait until the OL is in tatters and you have to replace 4 guys.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm also coming around on making the OL a big priority, possibly priority #1. A QB's best friend is a solid OL and might as well do it now while the unit is decent rather than wait until the OL is in tatters and you have to replace 4 guys.

Not to mention while the kid under center is still young and isn't shell shocked yet. He needs to have that confidence in his o-line to stand in there and quiet down that footwork.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Thanks for the analysis, xerOh0ur. Spot on, and I absolutely agree. Stats are important, but so is the eye test. Besides a few spotty games this year, Fuller balled out and shut down 1/2 of the field. Its high time we start rewarding home-grown talent so we can focus on other areas that need help. Pay the man.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don't think too many people are going to argue that we shouldn't retain Fuller. But what will his price be?

Would 4yr/$46m/$22m gtd do it?

On another note what will Prince's price? Some people have been saying $8-10m/yr for 3-4 years. I'm not sure I see that. He's pretty much the same player when the Bears signed him to a 1/$7m: a good cover corner who doesn't get turnovers and is an injury risk. I think 3yr/$20m/$10gtd is about right for him.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If we do keep Fuller, Amukamara and Callahan don't be surprised to see teams target Amukamara now since he's the weak link now. If you can call it a weak link because he still played pretty well. I can't imagine him getting too much money but its free agency man. All bets are off when teams are desperate for cornerback help.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Between Sitton and Long we have a lot of risk at OG right now.

We just need a much better backup then Compton and Sowell.

I am assuming Kush is going to be the backup C in most scenarios.

Leno
Sitton
Whitehair
Long
McGlinchey (1st)

Massie, best backup we have had at OT ever
Morgan
Mid Round Pick OG/C
Kush, If healthy

Kush will backup C and G. If a G gets hurt they'll either put Kush there or they'll move Whitehair over and play Kush at C.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Double dip at WR: Allen Robinson and B Wilson

Double dip at OLB: Trent Murphy and Jeremiah Attaochu.

Bring back both Fuller and Prince.

Bring in NaVarro Bowman

Draft a WR within the first 2 rounds.

Draft a complimentary back to Howard in the mid rounds

Draft OL, CB, OLB in addition to RB and WR.

Look to trade down. I think this is a perfect time to do it. There isn’t likely to be a franchise player to fall to the Bears and they have a ton of needs. Gather picks, keep getting deeper, and continue to grow as a young team.

I could definitely get behind a offseason like this. Don't see a big need to draft another RB when we have our top 2 in Howard and Cohen and really like Benny as our #3 who's a really good receiver and a good special teams player as well.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Yeah, noone carries more than 8 OLinemen on 53 man roster, so if you acquire one OT via. FA or 1st/2nd round pick you have...

Leno, addition (starting tackles)
Massie (swing tackle)
Sitton, Whitehair, Long (starting interior)
Kush (backup G/C), Morgan (backup G/T)

That means Nelson would kinda be a luxury pick, especially when you consider talented players available at high impact, playmaking positions like CB (Fitzpatrick, Jackson) and OLB (Chubb, Key, Ferrell).
And I'm certain Bears will have an opportunity to choose between Jackson, Ferrell, Nelson, Ridley at #8 (plus a potential trade down), so it will be interesting what direction they go.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I could definitely get behind a offseason like this. Don't see a big need to draft another RB when we have our top 2 in Howard and Cohen and really like Benny as our #3 who's a really good receiver and a good special teams player as well.

Not to mention Benny is a good example for the backs, a leader and beloved by the locker room. I had no idea about it either.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I only remember a few missed tackles that he was responible for... A few slips and a few missiles....

I remember him missing more then a few. The guy obviously had a really good season but is he that #1 shutdown CB? Not right now but he just finally had his first full season without any serious injuries so he'll hopefully grow off of this season and be even better next year and on. If he's not that #1 CB then he'd be one of the best #2 CB's in the league.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If we do keep Fuller, Amukamara and Callahan don't be surprised to see teams target Amukamara now since he's the weak link now. If you can call it a weak link because he still played pretty well. I can't imagine him getting too much money but its free agency man. All bets are off when teams are desperate for cornerback help.

I don't think Prince has ever been a bad CB at all, his problem has always been staying healthy and he doesn't get turnovers but he's a god cover CB. The health thing worries me of course with him but maybe he turned the corner on that with a somewhat healthy year this year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So I forgot to list this shit last night. I am pretty sure I forgot something along the way but these were the screenshots I took quickly. The following are the cornerback rankings by the listed categories. I'm going to embed the pics and list the link so you can just open to view it since it looks like shit sometimes otherwise.

Sorted by targets:

https://xer0hour.com/fullerbytargets.png

fullerbytargets.png

Sorted by quarterback rating when targeted:

https://xer0hour.com/fullerbyrating.png

fullerbyrating.png

Sorted by snaps in coverage:

https://xer0hour.com/fullerbysnaps.png

fullerbysnaps.png

Sorted by snaps / targets which is number of snaps in coverage divided by number of targets:

https://xer0hour.com/fullerbysnapstarget.png

fullerbysnapstarget.png

And a bonus Bryce Callahan by quarterback rating when targeted:

https://xer0hour.com/callahanbyrating.png

callahanbyrating.png

Callahan was also #2 in cover snaps / target and cover snaps / reception

So long story short. We need to fucking re-sign our cornerbacks. Seriously.

Thanks for posting. Damn Bouye's numbers are ridiculous. Can you imagine if we had signed him?

As for Fuller, he definitely was targeted more than the big name guys but did a great job defending it based on those numbers.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I knew Bouye was ballin out this season but holy shit those numbers are guady for him. Just barely gave up his first touchdown today.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I have always argued in pass heavy league that cb’s are more important than olb’s Or de’s and here is why. 1. They have more impact on the entirety of the game by virtue of playing more snaps and with excellent corner play, you can be more aggressive on first and second downs defending the run , we had a lot of sacks for a team crushed with injuries and I think it was due to great coverage. We should be able to create more turnovers and better field position when we keep fuller and Callahan. Amukamara played pretty well in limited play. But needs to cut down on penalties. If the bears could get a top tier bo free agency if they are still young enough
To be here a while.

I also think that if we can be healthy for a season, we can field a strong team with our coaches. Look at Minnesota, team of good health and no. “superstars”

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You sure about that? They have at the very least Harrison Smith and that isn't even accounting for the rest of their ballers on defense like their corners Rhodes and Waynes.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I have always argued in pass heavy league that cb’s are more important than olb’s Or de’s and here is why. 1. They have more impact on the entirety of the game by virtue of playing more snaps and with excellent corner play, you can be more aggressive on first and second downs defending the run , we had a lot of sacks for a team crushed with injuries and I think it was due to great coverage. We should be able to create more turnovers and better field position when we keep fuller and Callahan. Amukamara played pretty well in limited play. But needs to cut down on penalties. If the bears could get a top tier bo free agency if they are still young enough
To be here a while.

I also think that if we can be healthy for a season, we can field a strong team with our coaches. Look at Minnesota, team of good health and no. “superstars” but good players all around. Teams are starting to get asjway from “me first”’”I need ten passes” it creates problems within the team as the primadonnna is more motivated by money. For example I’d rather have a solid free agent at wideout that is a team player, I know it isn’t sexy but they should be willing to open up the field by running fly routes creating space and scaring the defense as. I think with creative formations and three or four solid wr’s that play as a team that also block l!!! Not focusing on any one player is the way teams are moving so that they are more focused on mismatches and getting the ball to the right guy and not force feed a greedy guy.

As you can see in this game already, two l“bombs” that ended up as incompletions are lthe reason for Vikings ten pointsml so far from two bombs and penalties. Having the wr’s buying into working as a group is very important these days and especially in a west coast hybrid.

Lastly, we really need to fix the special teams on both sides. How can you have a coach I that Wants games to be close and then hope his team makes less mistakes and not spend a couple million for a top kicker I hate that loser mentality and the message it sends to younger generations that he basically doesn’t

Long winded way of saying that Nagy and fangio will have a well coached and exciting team and they make the biggest difference in today’s nfl.

Bettarr down

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I knew Bouye was ballin out this season but holy shit those numbers are guady for him. Just barely gave up his first touchdown today.

And he had great coverage on that TD play to but when you're covering Antonio "Fucking" Brown it better be a perfect pass and great catch to get it by Bouye. The kid is a stud.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pittsburgh's backup OT Chris Hubbard, who played a lot this season, continues to impress me everytime he plays. The guy is a really athletic pass protector and gives great effort in the run game. He has made starts at LT and RT and would be a great addition to start at RT and move to LT in case of emergency.

DaGrizzler

Liked Posts:
Between Sitton and Long we have a lot of risk at OG right now.

We just need a much better backup then Compton and Sowell.

I am assuming Kush is going to be the backup C in most scenarios.

Leno
Sitton
Whitehair
Long
McGlinchey (1st)

Massie, best backup we have had at OT ever
Morgan
Mid Round Pick OG/C
Kush, If healthy

With all the players recovering from injuries it is hard to know how Pace and the coaches feel about the OL.

Having said that, I do believe the OL has to be the #1 off season priorty to be addressed -- which may or may not mean using a 1st round draft pick.

IMHO, if they think Nelson is a generational talent -- and they would know it better than anybody with Harry Hiestand on board -- they have to take him to make our OL DOMINANT not just sufficient.

With Tribs, the goal should be to get a DOMINANT OL ASAP. If we do we will be in the playoff hunt for at least 10-12 years -- barring major injuries of course.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Pittsburgh's backup OT Chris Hubbard, who played a lot this season, continues to impress me everytime he plays. The guy is a really athletic pass protector and gives great effort in the run game. He has made starts at LT and RT and would be a great addition to start at RT and move to LT in case of emergency.

We could always use depth.