Filling the Bears Needs

PickSix

Liked Posts:
I think it is important that at OLB and WR we focus on "better" and not "good".

Let’s see who ends up being the DC first.
We all have a mental fantasy of having that dynamic edge guy chasing down the QB. But if Fangio returns, that’s not my rd 1 pick. That pick would get under utilized just the way Floyd has. It’s not his system. And that’s fine when you are pumping out a top 10 D without that style. We survived just fine this year with virtually nothing opposite of Floyd.

I would add Okoronkwo to the second tier of edge guys. I’ve seen him mocked all over, from the end of 1 all the way to 4. Big 12 D player of the year. Great speed and knows how to get the QB. If we trade down and pick up another 2nd, I’d look at him or other edge guys here.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
OLB - I would resign Houston who shouldn't be expensive and keep whichever of McPhee and Young accepts a pay cut. If Chubb is within striking distance I trade up for him.

WR - I sign Richardson and Wilson and resign Inman. I look to pick up a speed WR in the draft.

OT - I would probably draft 2 OL at some point in the draft.

CB - I resign Prince and I sign a CB in FA whether it be Fuller, Butler, Johnson. No way I sign 2 of those guys as that is too much money to tie up in CB particularly with the draft being so deep at CB. In the draft, I take Fitzpatrick at 8 if we can't get Chubb otherwise I draft a CB at some point.

There is really no reason why we can't solve most of these issues. We don't need a stud at all of these positions. Just solid players and more importantly IMO depth.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Let’s see who ends up being the DC first.
We all have a mental fantasy of having that dynamic edge guy chasing down the QB. But if Fangio returns, that’s not my rd 1 pick. That pick would get under utilized just the way Floyd has. It’s not his system. And that’s fine when you are pumping out a top 10 D without that style. We survived just fine this year with virtually nothing opposite of Floyd.

I would add Okoronkwo to the second tier of edge guys. I’ve seen him mocked all over, from the end of 1 all the way to 4. Big 12 D player of the year. Great speed and knows how to get the QB. If we trade down and pick up another 2nd, I’d look at him or other edge guys here.

It is not a matter of it not being his system. He doesn't have the players. Are we forgetting Aldon Smith racked up a fuck ton of sacks under Fangio. The issue here is Floyd is not a pure pass rusher. He is more of a balanced player who has pass rush and coverage skills. If Fangio had an Aldon Smith type then he would use him. Instead he has a jack of all trades type in Floyd. It is just the case that Floyd happens to be our best pass rusher but he is not really a natural in that role.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
This is bogus. Pace Nagy gonna gang bang FA and draft, fill ALL the holes

ob1force

Liked Posts:
Agree with everything you've said. Whether that's the route Pace goes remains to be seen but fans should be ready for another non-splashy offseason.

I think CB/OL should be the positions we strengthen this offseason even if Fuller is retained.

You draft somebody like Fitz/Jackson to pair with Fuller, that secondary all the sudden is super young with a chance to be elite for several years.

OL is pretty solid but getting old and injured in some spots. There are OT options in the draft at #8 and C options via free agency. Draft Brown and sign a center like Jensen/Fulton, etc. and the OL is starting to enter elite territory.

OLB corps is the group I'm most worried about especially if Floyd can't stay upright. Gonna need more Willie Young type signings or hope Chubb slips to you at #8.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Key- major off field issues, injured all year, massive weight gain this season.

Ferrill-going back to Clemson.

I haven't seen anything about C.Ferrell making his decision yet on if he's gonna declare for the draft yet or not. If he does declare then he's no doubt 1st round and top 10 talent and it's way too early for any of us fans to say what A.Key will be in the NFL. He definitely has some question marks but still no way to say what will happen with him in the NFL but if he comes in with his shit straight he'll be a beast and also think H.Landry has plenty of pass rush talent.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
OLB-Patch
WR-Patch
CB-Build
OL-Build

Based on available talent it seems like this could happen.

It sounds like a solid plan, and it follows the BPA concept.

I know it is not sexy, but OL is what can make this work.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
If they can solidify 2 starters at CB and get the eventual replacement for Massie on the roster (even if it takes a season or 2 before he's replaced) that's a decent win. 2019 as of now has a handful of interesting WR FAs, if the Bears still need a #1 guy there is potential to grab one then.

For EDGE, not as excited with 2019 FA class, that may prove to be a thorn in the Bears side for awhile. Which is funny considering as early as start of this season it was looked at as a position of strength.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Been saying this for a while now... absolutely no fucking point to pass on a premium player for a 2nd tier quality DE just because of the position. Take best CB (Minkah, josh jackson) or O line (nelson/mcglinchey) with pick 8, round 2 take BPA which im hoping will be a WR like Kirk or Miller.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Been saying this for a while now... absolutely no fucking point to pass on a premium player for a 2nd tier quality DE just because of the position. Take best CB (Minkah, josh jackson) or O line (nelson/mcglinchey) with pick 8, round 2 take BPA which im hoping will be a WR like Kirk or Miller.

I agree. I think we are going to be a little disappointed by what happens at OLB. Just a terrible year to need pass rush.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I think it is important that at OLB and WR we focus on "better" and not "good".

I think at WR good would be better.

If only Kevin White amounted to something. The blow that keeps on hurting the Bears. I think he is done, but that position needs what Kevin White was projected to be.

Watch, no injuries this year and he'll be a star, then won't extend.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am not taking a guy that can't eventually play LT in the top 10. Pass rusher, LT, and CB are so costly in FA and more impactful to the game that you have to target thoae positions when you are drafting that high IMO. QB as well but that position is set.

Someone would need to be a unique talent for me to draft then. So an ILB with Urlacher level coverage skills for example.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree. I think we are going to be a little disappointed by what happens at OLB. Just a terrible year to need pass rush.

Don't know that we can say that yet. By this logic Floyd would be a disappointment as he was not considered a top 10 pick at this stage last year. He moved up draft boards because of his workouts as he was in coverage a lot in college but teams show he had the athleticism to develop into a pass rusher.

Pass rushing is the one spot where you see huge movements after the combine and workouts because there are typically guys who test better than their college production indicates and it is definitely a spot where a lot of coaches feel they can take and athletic freak and mold them into a good pass rusher.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think at WR good would be better.

Watch, no injuries this year and he'll be a star, then won't extend.

WR will be better, but I doubt anyone will be pointing to it as a strength of the team.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don't know that we can say that yet. By this logic Floyd would be a disappointment as he was not considered a top 10 pick at this stage last year. He moved up draft boards because of his workouts as he was in coverage a lot in college but teams show he had the athleticism to develop into a pass rusher.

Pass rushing is the one spot where you see huge movements after the combine and workouts because there are typically guys who test better than their college production indicates and it is definitely a spot where a lot of coaches feel they can take and athletic freak and mold them into a good pass rusher.

There could be shifts, but even Floyd did not Fix the position as a rookie.

I doubt the player you are describing is ready for a huge role as a rookie.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If they can solidify 2 starters at CB and get the eventual replacement for Massie on the roster (even if it takes a season or 2 before he's replaced) that's a decent win. 2019 as of now has a handful of interesting WR FAs, if the Bears still need a #1 guy there is potential to grab one then.

For EDGE, not as excited with 2019 FA class, that may prove to be a thorn in the Bears side for awhile. Which is funny considering as early as start of this season it was looked at as a position of strength.

The 2019 free agent class for WR's is really strong though so if we can't get that legit #1 WR this offseason then maybe we do it in 2019.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the 2nd round is a sweat spot for WRs, specifically ones with the speed that the Bears will want.

Christian Kirk, Anthony Miller would be a couple of nice adds at 39.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I think the 2nd round is a sweat spot for WRs, specifically ones with the speed that the Bears will want.

Agree. The 2nd round is looking like a perfect spot to draft a WR.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

You have a thing for 5' 11" WRs?

"2018 NFL Draft Expectations: Kirk has top-20 potential for the 2018 NFL Draft. If he stays healthy and is able to show his play-making skillsm he could be a high first-rounder." Walter Football

Rotoworld has Miller as a 2nd/3rd, but he's also in a boot and on crutches.

"

MonkeyPox

Liked Posts:
I wasn't sure about the FA market on OT but if its this bad the Bears have to get an o lineman. ANY receivers will be an upgrade over the trash they have now. Plus, Meredith
returning should help at least a little in that area. I say go OT with #8 then guard in round 2. Also, have you heard anything about Ja'Wuan James in Miami? He got injured but he may be an upgrade over Massie and he was the lone bright spot on Miamis OL from what I read.