Filling the Bears Needs

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not as worried about OLB or pass rusher. This would be bonus if added.

Bears with the injured mess they had to work with in 2017 STILL ended the season tied for 7th in sacks with 42 sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=SACKS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2017&seasonType=REG

(use that link to check these other stats)

Surprisingly Bears were #1 top dog in the league in Fumbles recovered by DEF with 14!! This is an anomaly however because Bears were only ranked #12 with 14 forced fumbles...meaning, yes, they were very lucky to have recovered every single forced fumble!! Can't count on that in '18. Look at 2016 when they ONLY recovered 3 FF of 11 FF.

This shows they improved more by swing of luck than a substantial increase in FF, despite zero games with Fuller in 2016. :thinking:

Unfort. they sucked again at INTs, tied for 3rd fewest with only 8 (tied with ALT surprisingly) ~ another reason CB might be a wise early look if elite talent is BPA.

= need a ballhawk CB!! a Peanut 2.0 could vault an already top 10 D that just needs more turnovers.

I thought pass rusher opposite of Floyd was a priority too until I looked into the stats just now. Go figure.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You have a thing for 5' 11" WRs?

"2018 NFL Draft Expectations: Kirk has top-20 potential for the 2018 NFL Draft. If he stays healthy and is able to show his play-making skillsm he could be a high first-rounder." Walter Football

Rotoworld has Miller as a 2nd/3rd, but he's also in a boot and on crutches.

"

Our qb doesn’t have diabetes so he doesn’t have a knack of over throwing his wrs. It’s not a must to have 6-4 wrs anymore

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There could be shifts, but even Floyd did not Fix the position as a rookie.

I doubt the player you are describing is ready for a huge role as a rookie.

I was responding to the terrible year for pass rushers not whether they can fix the position as a rookie. Just saying pass rushers tend to move up as the draft draws near because a lot of teams will draft based on measurables and potential rather than college production.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not as worried about OLB or pass rusher. This would be bonus if added.

Bears with the injured mess they had to work with in 2017 STILL ended the season tied for 7th in sacks with 42 sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=SACKS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2017&seasonType=REG

(use that link to check these other stats)

Surprisingly Bears were #1 top dog in the league in Fumbles recovered by DEF with 14!! This is an anomaly however because Bears were only ranked #12 with 14 forced fumbles...meaning, yes, they were very lucky to have recovered every single forced fumble!! Can't count on that in '18. Look at 2016 when they ONLY recovered 3 FF of 11 FF.

This shows they improved more by swing of luck than a substantial increase in FF, despite zero games with Fuller in 2016. :thinking:

Unfort. they sucked again at INTs, tied for 3rd fewest with only 8 (tied with ALT surprisingly) ~ another reason CB might be a wise early look if elite talent is BPA.

= need a ballhawk CB!! a Peanut 2.0 could vault an already top 10 D that just needs more turnovers.

I thought pass rusher opposite of Floyd was a priority too until I looked into the stats just now. Go figure.

It is not necessarily about sacks though but consistent pressure. The Bears pass rush was inconsistent IMO.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
I definitely agree that WR Draft class isn't top heavy (no surefire game changers there), but in 2nd round you can definitely find a guy to develop into that role.
OT class also doesn't have a player with Top 10 grade.
I gotta strongly disagree about OLB class where I see 2 surefire game changers in Chubb and Key, plus one potential Top 10 player in Ferrell, who can improve his stock in Combine.
CB class has 2 high quality Top 10 players in Fitzgerald (need to see his Combine to be sure he can play CB in pros) and Jackson.
Other 2 blue chip players in Top 10, but not at positions of biggest need for this Bears team are OG Nelson and ILB Roquan Smith.

Also, I see at least 2-3 young OTs in Free Agency who could probably do a better job at RT than Massie (Ja'Wuan James, Cameron Fleming and Cris Hubbard), so it will be interesting to see if Pace will pursue one of them and subsequently cut Massie to free up $5.5M off the Cap.

IMO, there are many ways for Bears to go this Offseason, but key is to fill up at least one CB position via. FA (be that Fuller, Amukamara or some highly touted FA like Butler or Johnson).
OLB and RT can both be put in status quo if they decide to go other way in FA/Draft (for example they can just retain McPhee and Young at OLB), although I really think Nagy will push for a higher quality tackle.
And last, I would definitely not be opposed to trade down if that brings us more 2nd/3rd round picks.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Our qb doesn’t have diabetes so he doesn’t have a knack of over throwing his wrs. It’s not a must to have 6-4 wrs anymore

I thought we had a short QB.
Short QB, short WRs, tall opposing defense doesn't sound like a great plan.

I'm not necessarily against the 5' 11" WRs but it seems like a Bears thing to do.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Some good points made in here by Windy. I think this would be a good year to go for a CB. As bad as Olb was outside of Floyd, the Bears were productive rushing the passer. If Floyd stays healthy and they add a couple average-ish vets like Young and add a couple guys with upside in the draft, they'll be decent enough again because Hicks and the DL can really get after the QB too.

But a CB who has the potential to shut down another teams #2 WR would take this defense to elite levels. Fuller is a must, but after that I'd look for another Cooper (hopefully a better version) change of scenery type, and then draft a guy with one of the first 2 picks.

Lot of intriguing CB talent with size (Jackson- Iowa, Oliver- Colorado), speed (Jackson- LSU, Hughes- UCF, Ward- Ohio State), physical (Davis- Auburn) and all around with ball skills (Alexander- Louisville).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I definitely agree that WR Draft class isn't top heavy (no surefire game changers there), but in 2nd round you can definitely find a guy to develop into that role.
OT class also doesn't have a player with Top 10 grade.
I gotta strongly disagree about OLB class where I see 2 surefire game changers in Chubb and Key, plus one potential Top 10 player in Ferrell, who can improve his stock in Combine.
CB class has 2 high quality Top 10 players in Fitzgerald (need to see his Combine to be sure he can play CB in pros) and Jackson.
Other 2 blue chip players in Top 10, but not at positions of biggest need for this Bears team are OG Nelson and ILB Roquan Smith.

Also, I see at least 2-3 young OTs in Free Agency who could probably do a better job at RT than Massie (Ja'Wuan James, Cameron Fleming and Cris Hubbard), so it will be interesting to see if Pace will pursue one of them and subsequently cut Massie to free up $5.5M off the Cap.

IMO, there are many ways for Bears to go this Offseason, but key is to fill up at least one CB position via. FA (be that Fuller, Amukamara or some highly touted FA like Butler or Johnson).
OLB and RT can both be put in status quo if they decide to go other way in FA/Draft (for example they can just retain McPhee and Young at OLB), although I really think Nagy will push for a higher quality tackle.
And last, I would definitely not be opposed to trade down if that brings us more 2nd/3rd round picks.

Good post. I think people are expecting Pace to be able to take care of every big need we have with a big name player in free agency or a stud from the 1st or 2nd round of the draft and just don't see it as a possibility. I think he can definitely get us a couple of play makers to fill a couple of the bigger needs and hope he hits big with our 1st and 2nd round picks but we're gonna have to settle with tier 2 or even 3 players at some spots for another year and hope the following offseason we can finish the job off.

What do you think about L.orenzo Carter (DE Georgia) and do you think Austin Bryant (DE Clemson) can play OLB in a 3-4? He's 6'4" 265.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
I thought we had a short QB.
Short QB, short WRs, tall opposing defense doesn't sound like a great plan.

I'm not necessarily against the 5' 11" WRs but it seems like a Bears thing to do.

I must have missed something somewhere. 6'2" is short?

Reactions: Myk

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I must have missed something somewhere. 6'2" is short?

I also must have missed something where only short players fit the mold in this nagy run offense. Travis Kelce is 6'6" and he seemed to do just fine in the chiefs offense.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Bryant would be nice option if Bears trade down in 1st round to acquire more picks, Carter seems like a borderline 2nd/3rd round prospect.

Right now, I think best way to go would be to re-sign own free agents, add WR Richardson, RT Fleming via. FA, plus OLB Key and WR Kirk via. Draft.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Good post. I think people are expecting Pace to be able to take care of every big need we have with a big name player in free agency or a stud from the 1st or 2nd round of the draft and just don't see it as a possibility. I think he can definitely get us a couple of play makers to fill a couple of the bigger needs and hope he hits big with our 1st and 2nd round picks but we're gonna have to settle with tier 2 or even 3 players at some spots for another year and hope the following offseason we can finish the job off.

What do you think about L.orenzo Carter (DE Georgia) and do you think Austin Bryant (DE Clemson) can play OLB in a 3-4? He's 6'4" 265.

I know you didn't ask me, but I like Carter a lot. He's a lot like Leonard Floyd in that he's long and fast. 6'6", 245 ish. Undersized as a 3-4 OLB, but he's a guy who you can rush off the edge or play off the ball. Good fit in a Bruce Irvin/Anthony Barr type role. 4-3 SAM LB who goes down on the edge and rushes the passer on 3rd down.

I think Bryant can play in the 3-4. I think he'd be a solid LDE who can stop the run and provide some pass rush. Maybe not a double digit sack guy, but should be a solid starter.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Bryant would be nice option if Bears trade down in 1st round to acquire more picks, Carter seems like a borderline 2nd/3rd round prospect.

Right now, I think best way to go would be to re-sign own free agents, add WR Richardson, RT Fleming via. FA, plus OLB Key and WR Kirk via. Draft.

Please show me one damn game highlight from this year that warrants key to be a top 10 pick. Just one.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
WR-there are several players that could start for us from day 1. With the offense Nagy and Helfrich are going to bring in Landry is an essential part of what we need to excel. This offense will be built around short timing routes and he's top 5 in the league at running those routes and is the best for YAC. If we can sign him for a reasonable length of deal, I'd make him top priority. There is also ample DL, OG and CB options. The process of FA coming first now really allows a team to focus on the stronger FA positions and then draft the other positions of need. I didn't like it at first but now I love he flexibility it gives a team.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have barely dug into this draft class but an early look shows that CB might be the best value if the Bears stay at pick 8.

Regarding OL, the reason you bring a guy like Hiestand here is because he is an excellent coach and developer. So I would be less inclined to grab an OL at 8.

If Pace can trade down then the pool of positions he can select with the first pick will grow exponentially.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have barely dug into this draft class but an early look shows that CB might be the best value if the Bears stay at pick 8.

Regarding OL, the reason you bring a guy like Hiestand here is because he is an excellent coach and developer. So I would be less inclined to grab an OL at 8.

If Pace can trade down then the pool of positions he can select with the first pick will grow exponentially.

The same could be said for Donatel who is one of the best DB coaches in the world.

If this offseason is about Trubisky then OL will be in play at 8.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The same could be said for Donatel who is one of the best DB coaches in the world.

If this offseason is about Trubisky then OL will be in play at 8.

I would have a tough time taking a Guard at #8, especially when it is one of the positions where you can develop a late round guy at with your awesome new OL coach.

I'm not excited about the thought of a CB at 8 either. Would rather they re-sign Fuller and Prince and draft a guy to develop there in later rounds.

Pass Rusher and WR are what I'm hoping for and become more likely if Pace can trade back.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I would have a tough time taking a Guard at #8, especially when it is one of the positions where you can develop a late round guy at with your awesome new OL coach.

I'm not excited about the thought of a CB at 8 either. Would rather they re-sign Fuller and Prince and draft a guy to develop there in later rounds.

Pass Rusher and WR are what I'm hoping for and become more likely if Pace can trade back.

LT, develop Leno to move.

jbd

Liked Posts:
i'd love to see josh jackson cb from iowa as well....big tall man coverage interception machine...his skills should translate well and hopefully fangio could make him even better..lifelong bears and hawkeyes fan...just go get jackson and then you got two shutdown cbs if we resign fullee. Pair that with eddie jacskson coming off a good rookie year and our secondary has the potential to become great.

here's to jackson in the first :beer::beer::beer::beer: :clap::clap::clap::bearbang::bearbang::bearbang::clap::clap::clap::smoke::smoke::smoke:

fingers crossed...LETS GO BEARS!

please excuse the poor capitalization my shift key is fucked...