Florio/Simms on Wentz, Bears and Colts

Luke

Liked Posts:
today, Florio said that no team has offered a 1st.
The reason Howie is whining about not getting enough is he is getting people ready to expect much less.
He really can't wait too long on this because of the 10mil roster bonus and pissing off Wentz more.
Wentz has not come out and said he wants to be traded yet. If he does do that, the price plummets.
He said Howie can't use Roethlisbergers terrible 3rd year or Mannings 4th year as evidence that Wentz will bounce back next year.
oh, and Wentz value is much closer to Goff's than Stafford.

Last edited:

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Robert Quinn's cannot be topped. Worst contract we have seen in a decade. Danny is close.
Quinn sucked but he still graded out a good but higher than Danny T which is pretty sad.

Could you imagine if the Bears actually traded Roquan like some suggested and they were only left with Danny T. Yikes.

The Gooch

Liked Posts:
The question we should be asking is if Wentz is closer to Stafford or Goff. The Rams had to trade a 1st to get rid of Goff's contract.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why does wentz need to restructure his contract to come here?

I had no doubt he preferred indy as it is a much better and more stable situation
Yeah...I was thinking the same thing. Wentz needs 12 months devotion before you ask him to restructure.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
today, Florio said that no team has offered a 1st.
The reason Howie is whining about not getting enough is he is getting people ready to expect much less.
He really can't wait too long on this because of the 10mil roster bonus and pissing off Wentz more.
Wentz has not come out and said he wants to be traded yet. If he does do that, the price plummets.
He said Howie can't use Roethlisbergers terrible 3rd year or Mannings 4th year as evidence that Wentz will bounce back next year.
oh, and Wentz value is much closer to Goff's than Stafford.
Roquan plus a third and/or Foles would be tits.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why the hell would anyone want to trade Roquan. Why do ppl keep saying his name. He's like our best D player. lol
Because of the contract he is going to want for his # of tackles, he was selected for a defense we may or may not be running. And he seems like an off-season liability or hold-out waiting to happen, probably already made contract demands when he cleaned out his locker and said he would hold out!! would not surprise me.

They negotiated with him once and could escape that fate on a player small for his position who may weather early like the sideline to sideline backers generally do.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Why the hell would anyone want to trade Roquan. Why do ppl keep saying his name. He's like our best D player. lol

ILB isn't a super valuable position. Steelers were a top defense and their ILBs were a former 6th round pick and a UDFA, with a former 5th rounder that the Jets got rid of in the mix. Also, Smith will make over 5Mil next year, which is nothing. But then he's looking at a 5th year option over 10Mil, and a long-term deal, which will put him in the running for highest paid non-passrushing LB in the league (15-18M per year). Smith is excellent and the Bears will certainly sign him long-term, but they shouldn't be turning down the chance for a franchise QB for the pleasure of paying him probably 75Mil over the next 6 years.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
After 2022 Bears will be out of cap hell. Rowan is a young difference maker. Look at Lavante David and Devin Smith covering RBs and Kelcr in SB.

Roquan is a 4 down player. That’s valuable. He can cover TEs, RBs, and spy QBs. He can sackQBs and run support. He is valuable. I would sign him. He will be just 24 in second contract. A team should get rid of players who are approaching 30. Not a young and rising star. He didn’t even reach his peak.

It’s like trading Kueckley for a QB. That QB better be Watson.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
After 2022 Bears will be out of cap hell. Rowan is a young difference maker. Look at Lavante David and Devin Smith covering RBs and Kelcr in SB.

I'm not going to act like they aren't difference making LBs, but you can do better than arguing Smith's value using an example of a team with basically 2 of him holding Kelce to...........(checks notes).......10 catches for 133 yards. The difference was the front 4 getting pressure, and the back 5 bracketing Tyreke Hill, which goes to my previous point. ILB is like the 5th or 6th most important position on a defense.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Simms said sources he trust say that Wentz prefers the Colts - big surprise!

Florio says that the Bears are Patsies in this situation as Howie is just using them to drive up the value and he wants Wentz out of the NFC.

They both said Wentz will walk right into controversy in Chicago while there will be far less of it in Indy.

This leads me to think this...

If Wentz truly wants to go to Indy ( and who would blame him ) and the Bears want him to restructure, couldn't Wentz just say no and in effect, kill the deal.

It would be very hard to believe that Pace makes a deal w/o a contract restructure while knowing Wentz doesn't want to come here.

Why would the Colts want Wentz when they have Andrew Luck coming out of retirement?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Most of what you said here isn't accurate.
Yes it is
Injuries
2015 Broken Wrist (college)
2016 Broken Ribs (he did play the whole season)
2017 ACL
2018 Back
2019 Concussion
2020 - Played like crap and got benched

Do you consider him elusive or fast?
Is his contract reasonable?

His best play was in 2017, and he has not played well since then.

Please tell me how any of that is inaccurate.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Yes it is
Injuries
2015 Broken Wrist (college)
2016 Broken Ribs (he did play the whole season)
2017 ACL
2018 Back
2019 Concussion
2020 - Played like crap and got benched

Do you consider him elusive or fast?
Is his contract reasonable?

His best play was in 2017, and he has not played well since then.

Please tell me how any of that is inaccurate.
Regardless of the injuries listed he played all his games in 16, 19, and this year. His best play was in 2017. His numbers say very differently from you just claiming he hasn't played well since then. He struggled badly in 2020, but was very good in 2018 and 2019. Also carson wentz is a pretty good athlete. That's actually part of his issue is he extends plays a lot which leads to some of his fumbles, trying to make the big play instead of getting rid of the ball. Comparing him and foles mobility is laughable

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Regardless of the injuries listed he played all his games in 16, 19, and this year. His best play was in 2017. His numbers say very differently from you just claiming he hasn't played well since then. He struggled badly in 2020, but was very good in 2018 and 2019. Also carson wentz is a pretty good athlete. That's actually part of his issue is he extends plays a lot which leads to some of his fumbles, trying to make the big play instead of getting rid of the ball. Comparing him and foles mobility is laughable
It sounds like you know him pretty well (holding the ball comment), I have been watching him play nearly every week (regional coverage for me), and there are just too many red flags.

I agree he is not a sloth like Foles, but he is not elusive, and when he does run, that is when he has sustained most his injuries (3 years in a row his season ended with an injury ACL, Back and Concussion) so I would hope that if he comes here they teach him how to slide early and often

AND if they can land him for minimal picks, for example swap our 1 for their 2 or a future 1 or just a 2nd, I would be happy to see him come to the Bears, I think he is better than Trubisky, Foles or a rookie.

But with his salary, the only way to get him support is through the draft, so we need to minimize the damage this year.......

For me, he represents a ton of risk that could put us back even further.....

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
It sounds like you know him pretty well (holding the ball comment), I have been watching him play nearly every week (regional coverage for me), and there are just too many red flags.

I agree he is not a sloth like Foles, but he is not elusive, and when he does run, that is when he has sustained most his injuries (3 years in a row his season ended with an injury ACL, Back and Concussion) so I would hope that if he comes here they teach him how to slide early and often

AND if they can land him for minimal picks, for example swap our 1 for their 2 or a future 1 or just a 2nd, I would be happy to see him come to the Bears, I think he is better than Trubisky, Foles or a rookie.

But with his salary, the only way to get him support is through the draft, so we need to minimize the damage this year.......

For me, he represents a ton of risk that could put us back even further.....
I agree with everything you said here.

Personally I'm fine with the risk involved with him. He either rebounds and plays well for pretty limited draft capital compared to what other options will cost, therefore not mortgaging our future. Or he continues to suck and what everyone thought was inevitable happens and Nagy and Pace are booted. We'd only be stuck with Wentz for two years which would be rebuilding years anyway. New regime would get to move on pretty quickly and his contract really isn't the anchor that some other qbs are. If he plays well it would be 4 years at a very reasonable price.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with everything you said here.

Personally I'm fine with the risk involved with him. He either rebounds and plays well for pretty limited draft capital compared to what other options will cost, therefore not mortgaging our future. Or he continues to suck and what everyone thought was inevitable happens and Nagy and Pace are booted. We'd only be stuck with Wentz for two years which would be rebuilding years anyway. New regime would get to move on pretty quickly and his contract really isn't the anchor that some other qbs are. If he plays well it would be 4 years at a very reasonable price.
I must admit..Thats pretty good logic!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Robert Quinn's cannot be topped. Worst contract we have seen in a decade. Danny is close.

Robert can get healthy and still produce and redeem himself. Danny is done in this league. Cant stop the run, cant cover anyone and cant rush the passer. At least Robert's made sense; Danny was awful in 2019 and oft-injured.