FO: Poles is a Freaking Idiot

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

4. Bears Draft/Justin Fields Nonsense​

Some analytics types want the Bears to trade Fields and his woeful passing metrics so they can "reset the clock" with a fresh rookie quarterback contract. Some analytics types also think real life is a video game that allows you to respawn if you don't like your starting position, and they are more than happy to make suggestions with a high likelihood of getting someone who is not themselves fired.

Fields is an unprecedented player: uniquely terrible passing stats, uniquely awesome rushing stats, uniquely awful supporting cast. Trading him comes with a low return on investment and high catastrophic failure potential. The Bears probably know this, though former general manager Ryan Pace could have accidentally suffocated in a paper bag, and new GM Other Ryan Poles only appears slightly more resourceful.

The flip side of speculating about a Fields trade is theorizing about some Minnesota Fats-worthy 8-ball trick shot in which Poles trades down four times in the first round and amasses seven first-round picks or something. Howie Roseman could indeed turn a first-round pick into half a playoff-caliber starting lineup. Poles is more likely to turn it into five or six Chase Claypools.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:

4. Bears Draft/Justin Fields Nonsense​

Some analytics types want the Bears to trade Fields and his woeful passing metrics so they can "reset the clock" with a fresh rookie quarterback contract. Some analytics types also think real life is a video game that allows you to respawn if you don't like your starting position, and they are more than happy to make suggestions with a high likelihood of getting someone who is not themselves fired.

Fields is an unprecedented player: uniquely terrible passing stats, uniquely awesome rushing stats, uniquely awful supporting cast. Trading him comes with a low return on investment and high catastrophic failure potential. The Bears probably know this, though former general manager Ryan Pace could have accidentally suffocated in a paper bag, and new GM Other Ryan Poles only appears slightly more resourceful.

The flip side of speculating about a Fields trade is theorizing about some Minnesota Fats-worthy 8-ball trick shot in which Poles trades down four times in the first round and amasses seven first-round picks or something. Howie Roseman could indeed turn a first-round pick into half a playoff-caliber starting lineup. Poles is more likely to turn it into five or six Chase Claypools.

Is this article insinuating that trading Justin Fields is nonsense? Kinda hard to understand..

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Is this article insinuating that trading Justin Fields is nonsense? Kinda hard to understand..
Yes for the reasons he listed.
But the last sentence is a knock on Poles for the Claypool trade.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Trading Fields would be nonsense but Poles created this media nonsense by surrounding Fields with garbage in 2022. Fields lost a year of evaluation of his passing skills being blamed by his supporting cast while passing for 75 yards against the 30th ranked defense in the NFL.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Shouldn't the Bears want teams to think they might trade Fields and keep the #1 pick?

I don’t understand why. Teams could easily call their bluff. It doesn’t seem worth the effort and furthermore loses respect amongst league front offices. It’s a clown move.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Trading Fields would be nonsense but Poles created this media nonsense by surrounding Fields with garbage in 2022. Fields lost a year of evaluation of his passing skills being blamed by his supporting cast while passing for 75 yards against the 30th ranked defense in the NFL.

Thats short sighted moron thinking. For a guy who wanted to build through the draft and said as much, everyone really wanted him to splurge in free agency the same season he tore it down?

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Thats short sighted moron thinking. For a guy who wanted to build through the draft and said as much, everyone really wanted him to splurge in free agency the same season he tore it down?
The moron thinking is insinuating I said he needed to “splurge”.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Trade down with Texans. Draft Will Anderson and Darnell Wright. Pickup good starters at DT, C and LB in FA. Trade the Ravens 2nd for a veteran WR. This is easy.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
That's a pretty unanimous opinion amongst bears fans, yet you somehow have managed to come off as stupid while saying it
No, it’s only unanimous among whiny victims.

“Waaah. Oh, God Oh suck! The team I root for is out to ruin my life.”

More mature fans realize that Poles and Pace are two different people and the name of their employer being the same does not mean one will do the same as the other.

The “It’s the Bears. They’ll find a way to fuck it up.” mentality is childish. And it’s victimhood.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Shouldn't the Bears want teams to think they might trade Fields and keep the #1 pick?
No that was the narrative last week. And the narrative for the last week of March. Keep up, toast.

Seriously though, people—it’s smoke and mirrors season. There’s going to be a new bullshit narrative every week until 2 weeks after the draft. We may get a break around March 7-15 temporarily as that’s when FA negotiating window and actual FA begins, but expect it to be completely stupid on a weekly basis, because idiot pundits need something to do during slow season.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

More mature fans realize that Poles and Pace are two different people and the name of their employer being the same does not mean one will do the same as the other.

The “It’s the Bears. They’ll find a way to fuck it up.” mentality is childish. And it’s victimhood.
The Bears organization has been mostly awful since 1985. It's not childish to expect the ORGANIZATION to continue to fuck up like they have time and time again. I still hope poles makes the right moves and never have compared him with pace, but it isn't childish to think the mccaskeys have been making poor decisions for the team for the better parts of 35 years.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

It is little more than a cry for attention. As you say, victim mentality.

It is positively funny though to see a "king victim" try and guide the other whiners to some jaded promised land, where passive misery is the default emotion and hope is for suckers.