1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
How much does “pay the man” mean?

What do you think he’s worth?

Is there a price that’s too much?
(If he’s, how much is it)
Dude, quit harshin' my Roquan buzz with hard questions.
Wuzzzzzuuuuup, just show him the money and pay the man.

For you boomers, Where's the beef.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I think his level of play is probably "worth" 15-17M per year but at the same time market dynamics mean hes likely in line to be the next highest paid at his position. He's not the best off ball LB but he is close enough that he probably still gets a max. This is the jets fault with that ridiculous CJ Mosley contract.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I think his level of play is probably "worth" 15-17M per year but at the same time market dynamics mean hes likely in line to be the next highest paid at his position. He's not the best off ball LB but he is close enough that he probably still gets a max. This is the jets fault with that ridiculous CJ Mosley contract.
But here’s the question: because another poorly managed team that hasn’t won in forever gave out a foolish contract, does that mean the Bears have to as well? The definition of insanity is…

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
75-80% of the time Quan was in nickel doing the same things he will be asked to do now just in different proportions.

As for the other 20-25%, he is the prototypical 4-3 LB ie slighly undersized with good speed and coverage ability?
If this is the case I’m for paying him. So far he is the only good 1st round pick Pace has made

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Leonard also has a backloaded contract. Something that Ro mentioned as a complaint it seems

Um no. He got a 20m signing bonus and gets 7.166m this year so that is 27.166m in new money for first year of extension (last year was last year of original deal). Next year he will get another 16.2m so that is 44.366m first 2 years. 3rd year is another 16.124m which us 60.47m over 3 years.

So he is basically getting over 20m a year first 3 years of new deal. The SB is just getting allocated for cap purposes over 5 years including the last year of rookie deal.

Players don't care how the cap gets allocated. What they want is the new money. Leonard got 20m a year in new money over first 3 years. Again he just got 20m of it upfront from signing in the last year of rookie deal.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
5 years, $100 mil.

He’s not going to get that once he plays his 5th year option season and gets tagged once or twice. An agent would probably tell him that.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Um no. He got a 20m signing bonus and gets 7.166m this year so that is 27.166m in new money for first year of extension (last year was last year of original deal). Next year he will get another 16.2m so that is 44.366m first 2 years. 3rd year is another 16.124m which us 60.47m over 3 years.

So he is basically getting over 20m a year first 3 years of new deal. The SB is just getting allocated for cap purposes over 5 years including the last year of rookie deal.

Players don't care how the cap gets allocated. What they want is the new money. Leonard got 20m a year in new money over first 3 years. Again he just got 20m of it upfront from signing in the last year of rookie deal.
And is making how much the final two seasons? Is that not technically a backloaded deal?

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
$15 million is my tops and I don’t think that’s a good use of cap funds to be honest for his position. It’s just the way the game has gone.

Drafting an off ball lb at number 8 was stupid in the first place and now Here we are.

Let him hold out and lose current and future earnings if he’s stubborn and or he will play.

If you can get a first or maybe even a second for him then I’d trade him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And is making how much the final two seasons? Is that not technically a backloaded deal?

His AAV is 19.7 so if the first 3 years are over 20, last 2 have to be under 20 to get to 19.7. What you aren't accounting for is he got 20m upfront and another 7m the first year of the extension so 27m overall by end of 1st extension year.

Also his issue is not backloading. His issue is allegedly de-escalators ie Bears want to reduce his salary in future years if he doesn't hit certain performance measures. Again none of the other top 94 contracts have such a clause.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I'm guessing the Bears want him to generate turnovers. Something they are heavily heavily heavily prioritizing (thank god) and something Roquan Smith has never been able to really accumulate. It's a way of paying him for the player they hope he can be in the defense while still being a little insulated from the risk that he never progresses past what he is now.

No fucking way the Bears should twenty million to a coverage linebacker. Especially one who doesn't intercept the ball or force fumbles.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm guessing the Bears want him to generate turnovers. Something they are heavily heavily heavily prioritizing (thank god) and something Roquan Smith has never been able to really accumulate. It's a way of paying him for the player they hope he can be in the defense while still being a little insulated from the risk that he never progresses past what he is now.

No fucking way the Bears should twenty million to a coverage linebacker. Especially one who doesn't intercept the ball or force fumbles.

Coverage LBs are exactly the off ball LBs that do get paid as it is a passing league. He has 3 less TOs than Warner who is getting 19m because he is a a coverage LB. He also has 9.5 more sacks and 21 more tackles for loss.

Not saying they should be him 20m bit your argument doesn't make any sense.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If he wants 22, he's just not going to get that. And if a team does give that to him, good for him. But I'd be worried about that team's priorities. Lol.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Between $15M-$20M AAV. Caps going up soon right? Roquan is a proven player, the Bears always seem to do this. Draft player, player does well, bears don’t re-sign, player leaves and signs a smaller contract (AR) just to get away from this inept organization. Something that Roquan is very good at and was underutilized under Lazor was getting after the QB. When he did it, he was very effective.

I would be interested in knowing what kind of trade offers are being floated, if any. If there is something that helps the offense, I do think that has to be strongly considered.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
His AAV is 19.7 so if the first 3 years are over 20, last 2 have to be under 20 to get to 19.7. What you aren't accounting for is he got 20m upfront and another 7m the first year of the extension so 27m overall by end of 1st extension year.

Also his issue is not backloading. His issue is allegedly de-escalators ie Bears want to reduce his salary in future years if he doesn't hit certain performance measures. Again none of the other top 94 contracts have such a clause.

Is this in reality any different than the many contract that have performance bonuses added in?
Same thing: play & do X, Y, Z, get more money. Don't, and extra $ aint coming.

Feels like a pride thing, just wanting to know the contract is a big fat #, or "highest ever at a position". They brag about this all the time, then add "including certain performance bonuses". Is wording it negatively as a "de-escalator" an issue?

Maybe I'm wrong, since I don't have an agent to take a big cut of my income to explain it to me.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Is this in reality any different than the many contract that have performance bonuses added in?
Same thing: play & do X, Y, Z, get more money. Don't, and extra $ aint coming.

Feels like a pride thing, just wanting to know the contract is a big fat #, or "highest ever at a position". They brag about this all the time, then add "including certain performance bonuses". Is wording it negatively as a "de-escalator" an issue?

Maybe I'm wrong, since I don't have an agent to take a big cut of my income to explain it to me.

Yes it is different as again the 94 other top contracts don't have it.

If it wasn't different then more top contracts would have it.