For the “Pay The Man” crowd.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
5 years, $100 mil.

He’s not going to get that once he plays his 5th year option season and gets tagged once or twice. An agent would probably tell him that.

How much is the tag? It may be better for the Bears to tag him for two years and re-evaluate where they are as a franchise at that point. They certainly have the money to do that and it’s less risky. Right now they have three years of control if they want. (Counting this year).

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Is this in reality any different than the many contract that have performance bonuses added in?
Same thing: play & do X, Y, Z, get more money. Don't, and extra $ aint coming.

Feels like a pride thing, just wanting to know the contract is a big fat #, or "highest ever at a position". They brag about this all the time, then add "including certain performance bonuses". Is wording it negatively as a "de-escalator" an issue?

Maybe I'm wrong, since I don't have an agent to take a big cut of my income to explain it to me.
Curious what the de-escalators are and if injury counts

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes it is different as again the 94 other top contracts don't have it.

If it wasn't different then more top contracts would have it.

I'm not sure how to explain it more clearly than I did but I'll try: Why not just word it as a "performance incentive" instead of a "de-escalator" then...like the other 94 top contracts? Same base $$, same "bonus" $$ to be gained on top of a smaller base total, vs. a larger base total from which bonus is removed if not earned. Aren't they the same thing?

Regarding injuries, just do what all the other contracts do right?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Is this in reality any different than the many contract that have performance bonuses added in?
Same thing: play & do X, Y, Z, get more money. Don't, and extra $ aint coming.

Feels like a pride thing, just wanting to know the contract is a big fat #, or "highest ever at a position". They brag about this all the time, then add "including certain performance bonuses". Is wording it negatively as a "de-escalator" an issue?

Maybe I'm wrong, since I don't have an agent to take a big cut of my income to explain it to me.
Maybe that’s why Roquan doesn’t understand it either, since he doesn’t have an agent…

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure how to explain it more clearly than I did but I'll try: Why not just word it as a "performance incentive" instead of a "de-escalator" then...like the other 94 top contracts? Same base $$, same "bonus" $$ to be gained on top of a smaller base total, vs. a larger base total from which bonus is removed if not earned. Aren't they the same thing?

Regarding injuries, just do what all the other contracts do right?

Sure so long as the AAV without those bonuses is in line with the AAV as Leonard and Warner as otherwise wouldn't make much sense for Quan.

Maybe that’s why Roquan doesn’t understand it either, since he doesn’t have an agent…

An agent would not agree to something the top 94 contracts don't have.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
How much is the tag? It may be better for the Bears to tag him for two years and re-evaluate where they are as a franchise at that point. They certainly have the money to do that and it’s less risky. Right now they have three years of control if they want. (Counting this year).
It’s virtually identical to the $20M/yr figure (franchise tag for LB is $18 million). Extending him might actually cost less if they backload his contract, which teams almost always do with big contracts.

Two things are complicating the matter, which no one’s really talking about:

1) Roquan apparently DOES NOT want the contract to be backloaded, which makes sense because the player would want as much guaranteed money as possible, and $$ on the back end might as well be Monopoly money. But that’s just not how it’s done. Does Roquan, acting as his own agent, either not realize this and/or feel personally slighted by this particular point?

For the record, they might be in the unique position to *front*-load the contract and actually get a good deal, shedding the majority of the money early when they can absorb it rather than late. Only problem is, they’ve got a lot of holes to fill next offseason.

2) When a player seeking a new contract requests a trade, their agent works in coordination with the team to reach out to other teams and work out what is essentially a reverse sign-and-trade (like Mack to the Bears). The agent works with teams on a contract amount for the player while the team is working with those same teams on what the trade is going to be.

^^The above might not even be possible as long as Roquan is representing himself. It’s not even clear whether such a thing would be permissible under the current CBA (a player working out a contract directly with an opposing team while under contract with their current team). I’m not sure such a thing has ever happened before. (Hoge very briefly touched on this point during the most recent CHGO Bears podcast).

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It’s virtually identical to the $20M/yr figure (franchise tag for LB is $18 million). Extending him might actually cost less if they backload his contract, which teams almost always do with big contracts.

Two things are complicating the matter, which no one’s really talking about:

1) Roquan apparently DOES NOT want the contract to be backloaded, which makes sense because the player would want as much guaranteed money as possible, and $$ on the back end might as well be Monopoly money. But that’s just not how it’s done. Does Roquan, acting as his own agent, either not realize this and/or feel personally slighted by this particular point?

For the record, they might be in the unique position to *front*-load the contract and actually get a good deal, shedding the majority of the money early when they can absorb it rather than late. Only problem is, they’ve got a lot of holes to fill next offseason.

2) When a player seeking a new contract requests a trade, their agent works in coordination with the team to reach out to other teams and work out what is essentially a reverse sign-and-trade (like Mack to the Bears). The agent works with teams on a contract amount for the player while the team is working with those same teams on what the trade is going to be.

^^The above might not even be possible as long as Roquan is representing himself. It’s not even clear whether such a thing would be permissible under the current CBA (a player working out a contract directly with an opposing team while under contract with their current team). I’m not sure such a thing has ever happened before. (Hoge very briefly touched on this point during the most recent CHGO Bears podcast).

Again the issue is not backloading. It is de-escalators. Due to signing bonuses players will almost always make more early in contract than later. Backloading is more of an accounting trick.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Again the issue is not backloading. It is de-escalators. Due to signing bonuses players will almost always make more early in contract than later. Backloading is more of an accounting trick.
Yeah, Pace was horrible at it lol

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is what I keep saying. Just take out the de-escalators.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Isnt he too old for some of you to pay? Him and Velus about to retire..

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
wow, talk about low-hanging fruit

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
5 years 92.5 mil (55.5 fully guaranteed) 18.5m per year base
40 mil signing bonus

incentives
1 mil pro-bowl incentive
500,000 playoff incentive

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It *is* weird that a consensus is growing that a 2nd and 3rd or a 2nd and 4th would be a good haul for a top 10 pick who’s been playing like an All-Pro and is still very young.

But I think that’s more to do with the current value of the position rather than some slight on the player.

In any case, I think it’s moot. Call me an optimist. I don’t think they’re trading Roquan. They’ll either work something out or he’ll have to play pissed off under his current contract and a tag or two.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I’ll be honest, if we could get a real good deal for him, ship him off. Not that I want him gone, but fuck it. We ain’t winning the Super bowl this year. Next year we will have good picks in the draft but they still have to develop and learn the system. So next year we ain’t winning the Super bowl. The third year, we might get into the playoffs but not a sure thing on the Súper bowl. By this time, a linebacker would have stepped up already. We get lucky with linebackers here in Chicago. Even if he isn’t as good as Roquan, a little bit less good is good enough.