For the “Pay The Man” crowd.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Schefter on Waddle & Silvy saying the Bears actually made a compelling offer, and that he ran it by other teams to make sure.

“MY VIEW FROM THE OUTSIDE IS THAT THE BEARS HAVE MADE A NUMBER OF WHAT SOUNDS LIKE, TO ME, COMPELLING OFFERS. NOW I COULD BE PROVEN OTHERWISE. I’VE CHATTED ABOUT SOME OFFERS WITH SOME OTHER PEOPLE CONNECTED TO THE BEARS AND I’VE RUN THOSE NUMBERS PAST OTHER TEAMS AND THEY’RE LIKE, ‘WOW.’ IN THEIR MIND, THEY FEEL LIKE IT’S FAIR. OBVIOUSLY, ROQUAN SMITH DOESN’T. HE FEELS LIKE HE’S BEING MISTREATED. THAT’S HIS PERSPECTIVE. WE’LL SEE WHERE THIS GOES.”

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
What about something like this

5 yrs/100 mil
30 mil SB
60 mil GTD

He would very likely play out the length of that deal and receive the full 100 mil.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:

5 yrs/100 mil
30 mil SB
60 mil GTD

He would very likely play out the length of that deal and receive the full 100 mil.
I'd be surprised if this wasn't on the table.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:

5 yrs/100 mil
30 mil SB
60 mil GTD

That seems right and fair to both parties. They can build in a lot to the contract with performance based money and de-escelators which someone reported was the sticking point. Poles said something to the effect of there being some record breaking aspects to the contract so i am guessing on the surface it looks really good but in the details there is not enough guaranteed.
I would think the 60 mil guaranteed means that any escalators or de-escalators have to be part of the 40 mil that is not guaranteed? Is that a true statement anyone know?

Bearey Palpatine

Liked Posts:
'bout tree fiddy
I remember a couple of years ago a girl scout knocked on my door and had a cornucopia of cookies ranging from Samoas, Thin Mints, Peanut Butter, etc, etc and I asked how much for 3 Samoas. She looked at me and said "tree fiddy." I then noticed she was 6'1 and 238lbs immediately knew it was Roquan Smith. I told him get off my lawn and get his own money.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
That seems right and fair to both parties. They can build in a lot to the contract with performance based money and de-escelators which someone reported was the sticking point. Poles said something to the effect of there being some record breaking aspects to the contract so i am guessing on the surface it looks really good but in the details there is not enough guaranteed.
I would think the 60 mil guaranteed means that any escalators or de-escalators have to be part of the 40 mil that is not guaranteed? Is that a true statement anyone know?
I would believe so but not certain. Bears could easily afford this deal. Pay most of the money upfront when they’re flush with cap space.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm sure Roquan could find a qualified mediary for 3-5% on a deal this size. Big mistake making it personal.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It’s virtually identical to the $20M/yr figure (franchise tag for LB is $18 million). Extending him might actually cost less if they backload his contract, which teams almost always do with big contracts.

Two things are complicating the matter, which no one’s really talking about:

1) Roquan apparently DOES NOT want the contract to be backloaded, which makes sense because the player would want as much guaranteed money as possible, and $$ on the back end might as well be Monopoly money. But that’s just not how it’s done. Does Roquan, acting as his own agent, either not realize this and/or feel personally slighted by this particular point?

For the record, they might be in the unique position to *front*-load the contract and actually get a good deal, shedding the majority of the money early when they can absorb it rather than late. Only problem is, they’ve got a lot of holes to fill next offseason.

2) When a player seeking a new contract requests a trade, their agent works in coordination with the team to reach out to other teams and work out what is essentially a reverse sign-and-trade (like Mack to the Bears). The agent works with teams on a contract amount for the player while the team is working with those same teams on what the trade is going to be.

^^The above might not even be possible as long as Roquan is representing himself. It’s not even clear whether such a thing would be permissible under the current CBA (a player working out a contract directly with an opposing team while under contract with their current team). I’m not sure such a thing has ever happened before. (Hoge very briefly touched on this point during the most recent CHGO Bears podcast).

And now we get this weird shit, below.

Provided this isn’t just some nutjob working completely independent of Roquan’s knowledge, Exhibit J of why players should not represent themselves.

1) The Bears have not given their permission for him to seek a trade, so any team talking to this person is risking a tampering violation.

2) Only an approved agent can do this. Roquan doesn’t have one.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I am curious what other teams are saying tbh.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's starting to get ridiculous. He really is shooting himself in the foot. Hope this can get ironed out.