For the Defense wins championships crowd

msadows

Liked Posts:
Defense kept them in all these games, mahomie won them tho

msadows

Liked Posts:
I think this NFL year, overall, had less scoring than any year in the last 20 or so.

Its cause the refs actually decided to start calling all the offensive penalties.

JK but i am curious if there was an uptick in penalties called offensively this year. Felt like it to me. More holds

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Winning a championship requires 1 of 2 things.. A great QB and a good defense OR a historic defense and a game manager at QB that doesn't turn the ball over.

The Chiefs have a HOF QB and a great defense. That makes them a dynasty.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think this NFL year, overall, had less scoring than any year in the last 20 or so.
You've just been watching too much Bears.
1707749250986.png

What I would have never imagined was how consistent scoring has been. Since 1942NFL has Never averaged below 18 team PPG and under 19 only twice since1946.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Kinda crazy how the Chiefs managed to put an elite defense together while paying Mahomes, and so quickly too.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It’s almost as if you need both? 🤔🤷‍♂️

Its why I was honestly scratching my head earlier in the playoffs when the Caleb Williams people were pounding their chests that CJ Stroud took an understaffed Texans roster to the playoffs and got a win.

I mean, that's nice and all, but I thought the goal was to win Super Bowls?

It's why I find the people who think a QB can solve all issues are high on their own shit. One look at either Super Bowl team, and shit, even at the 4 teams in the Championship games to go to the Super Bowl, and you can tell the Bears are still really deficient in talent when it comes to those teams. A mythical QB doesn't solve those issues. In fact, the argument can be made that those QBs become mythical BECAUSE they also have great talent around them to make incredible plays or allow them to make incredible plays. It's almost like *gasp* football is a team sport.

My only point being, even if the Bears draft Williams, they have a lot of holes to fill, and honestly, are likely still 2-3 drafts away from being at that level. It's why the 'haul' is so attractive to many of us - it represents an opportunity to close the gap in a single year rather than being 2-3 away. And Brock Purdy is proof you don't need a God-mode QB to compete in a Super Bowl (if this were played under last years' rules, the 49ers would be the champs, I believe?) - you need an elite defense that can shut down the other team's God mode QB...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
You've just been watching too much Bears.
View attachment 34834

What I would have never imagined was how consistent scoring has been. Since 1942NFL has Never averaged below 18 team PPG and under 19 only twice since1946.
That's what I used. There were fewer TDs scored per game than any year since 2006, and the field goals don't make up the difference for any year in my admittedly quick math.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Kinda crazy how the Chiefs managed to put an elite defense together while paying Mahomes, and so quickly too.

So much for needing to win on his rookie contract and resetting the contract clock, huh?

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Shout out to ST for converting 4 FGs and blocking an extra point. It took an entire team effort to give Pat Mahomes his last chance to win it.
While that is true, Pacheco's fumble in the red zone was 3pts they lost at least. Small plays like that are forgotten. Mahomes had 399 yards of total offense. This wasn't like Big Ben's 1st Super bowl win. Mahomes looked pedestrian in the 1st half but the 2nd half and overtime he was vintage Mahomes. He was never going to hang 30+ on the 9ers. I think we've gotten used to big play Mahomes. He is maturing and is able to be patient now and slowly pick teams apart.

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Helps to have a HOF DT and hit on a bunch of draft picks still on their rookie deals.
pretty entertaining watching the 180 folks are doing with the chiefs right now. just a couple months ago the chiefs were "done" and not that good. now here they are the super bowl champs again and people think they are the best thing since sliced bread again