For those of you who hate the offensive line

Caveroamer

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
1. that is one guy's subjective opinion.
2. perhaps the lines have been shit for 1st overall picks because those teams all sucked the most and that's still just not good enough.

We need more talent as starters and more talent than some of our starters as depth. So here's hoping Caleb is the shit they say he is so he can overcome some of this. I like Darnell Wright and Teven Jenkins. EDIT: although I do worry about Jenkins' durability.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I do very much dislike this OL, and want to see the interior hold up before I hold out any hope for it. The line flat out stunk too often last year and replaced exactly one starter. But let's take it at face value: Spending the first overall pick on QB has given this league the following in the past ten years: Bryce Young, Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, Jameis Winston. Who among them had good OLs as a rookie?

As far as the entire surrounding cast goes, yeah that is inarguable. The last time a top 10 QB was drafted to a team with a set of WRs like this was what, Leinart? Anybody have a better memory and wants to throw out a name?

@DanielCCSBears - To tie this tweet in, what of those teams who drafted QB at 1OA had set those QBs up for success as rookies? Do you really think that that is a fair measuring stick?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
1. that is one guy's subjective opinion.
2. perhaps the lines have been shit for 1st overall picks because those teams all sucked the most and that's still just not good enough.

We need more talent as starters and more talent than some of our starters as depth. So here's hoping Caleb is the shit they say he is so he can overcome some of this. I like Darnell Wright and Teven Jenkins. EDIT: although I do worry about Jenkins' durability.

So most of the spots you didn't like have been replaced with starters from other teams on trades not flat out team cuts.

I could see a wait and see attitude but to claim they suck because they sucked in previous years makes it seem like people haven't been keeping up with the news.

Caveroamer

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So most of the spots you didn't like have been replaced with starters from other teams on trades not flat out team cuts.

I could see a wait and see attitude but to claim they suck because they sucked in previous years makes it seem like people haven't been keeping up with the news.
Braxton Jones we had last year, hell we drafted him. He's overperformed for where he was drafted and is adequate, but not top tier. We could use an upgrade there and he would be a beautiful depth tackle.

Nate Davis underperformed in every way last year. His mom died, so he gets a bit of a pass on it, but then you'd expect him to come in this year roaring to prove himself, but instead he has barely done shit.

Center we got 2 people in who are 2nd - 3rd tier centers where we are gambling on "improvement"

Only Teven Jenkins has shown that he's a beast regularly.
And Darnell Wright has had enough of an upward curve to feel good about his development pattern.

but okay, my opinion is invalid and I don't keep up with the news because you say so.

Anyways, yes. you are correct in that it IS the most CLEAR example of a "wait and see" situation. Because we can still hope Nate Davis shows up and at least one of those centers can play.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

Not sure I agree with you on part 2 here. This team has changed out one starter, and while center was an absolute need to improve, our squad of guards underperformed too frequently last year, and this team is returning both starters. I think we should expect them to suck until they prove otherwise, even if I am hopeful they all take a step forward.

It is quite fair, though, to want to wait and see what they have. We should expect growth out of the pair of tackles, for sure. Jenkins brings the attitude that the rest of the line needs to match, and when he plays he is a force on his own. But let's see it all come together before we get our hopes up. They did not do well enough last year ot earn the benefit of the doubt

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I don't completely disagree.

My bigger worry is we have the same oline coach who was teaching '23's oline to separate in the middle for a free shot to the QB.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The interior is kind of a question mark again. Who is excited for that?

Canth

Liked Posts:
Definitely wait and see with the OL. The improvement at center could be huge for the overall OL. I also think the depth is a bit better.

Beyond that, it will be huge for the OL and the offense as a whole if Williams gets the ball out within the correct timing of the plays. It will make everyone look better.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Who is Brandon Thorn, and what are his credentials?