For those of you who hate the offensive line

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Culpepper is easily one of the most overrated QB’s this century. People talk about him like he was some sort of generational talent. He had one elite season and 2 really good seasons and a whole bunch of shit. For those that love QB W-L records, he was like 40-60 or something close to that.
Would’ve made a good TE though

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Culpepper is easily one of the most overrated QB’s this century. People talk about him like he was some sort of generational talent. He had one elite season and 2 really good seasons and a whole bunch of shit. For those that love QB W-L records, he was like 40-60 or something close to that.
That’s an incredibly bad take. In 2004, he passed for 4,717 yards and 39 TDs. He rushed for 406 and two TDs. He wasn’t the MVP because Peyton Manning threw 49 TD passes that year.

He was becoming an NFL superstar but had one of the worst knee injuries possible the next season. He tore his ACL, MCL and PCL. His knee was dislocated too. After that, he was never the same. He was just a shell of the player he was previously.

He was 6’ 5” and could run extremely well. There was nobody like that at the time.

Mark Hatley was a clown to trade down from 7 and pass on Culpepper. He was selected with the 12th pick right after the Bears took Cade McNown. By the way, the Redskins took Champ Bailey in the Bears’ original spot at 7.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That’s an incredibly bad take. In 2004, he passed for 4,717 yards and 39 TDs. He rushed for 406 and two TDs. He wasn’t the MVP because Peyton Manning threw 49 TD passes that year.

He was becoming an NFL superstar but had one of the worst knee injuries possible the next season. He tore his ACL, MCL and PCL. His knee was dislocated too. After that, he was never the same. He was just a shell of the player he was previously.

He was 6’ 5” and could run extremely well. There was nobody like that at the time.

Mark Hatley was a clown to trade down from 7 and pass on Culpepper. He was selected with the 12th pick right after the Bears took Cade McNown. By the way, the Redskins took Champ Bailey in the Bears’ original spot at 7.
Im sorry but you don’t get a pass on sucking because of an injury, especially when others have had the same injuries and came back from it without problem. But his stats don’t lie no matter how much you want it to fit your narrative. He simply wasn’t a great QB. Maybe write an email to the NFL and request that they change his stats?

Luke

Liked Posts:

I was pissed that he passed on Champ Bailey.

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
Im sorry but you don’t get a pass on sucking because of an injury, especially when others have had the same injuries and came back from it without problem. But his stats don’t lie no matter how much you want it to fit your narrative. He simply wasn’t a great QB. Maybe write an email to the NFL and request that they change his stats?

Also an incredibly bad take. While I will not defend Culpepper, this is just simply not common. Most QBs with knee injuries are never the same. Of those who return to form the only two I can think of in recent memory are Brady and Burrow. Brady almost retired because of it.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I think you get a pass - and the common reaction should be to wonder what could have been had he bounced back to form.

How many QBs who have bounced back from significant injury have only done so in the past 15 years? Because this has been a different era of protecting the QB with rule changes.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Tell me all the guys that bounced back from tearing their ACL, PCL, and MCL all at one time. I’ll wait. Too funny.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Tell me all the guys that bounced back from tearing their ACL, PCL, and MCL all at one time. I’ll wait. Too funny.
Tell me how exactly he was some elite QB. I’ll wait. Too funny.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think you get a pass - and the common reaction should be to wonder what could have been had he bounced back to form.

How many QBs who have bounced back from significant injury have only done so in the past 15 years? Because this has been a different era of protecting the QB with rule changes.
Sorry you don’t change stats because of an injury. He wasn’t elite, that’s all there is to this.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Tell me how exactly he was some elite QB. I’ll wait. Too funny.
He was ascending and just had an MVP caliber season. I mentioned that in my original post. The injury was devastating to his career. He had elite traits and was coming into his prime.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He was ascending and just had an MVP caliber season. I mentioned that in my original post. The injury was devastating to his career. He had elite traits and was coming into his prime.
Cool story. Don’t care.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Not arguing his play as a QB but a PCL injury is much worse than ACL injury and considerably more rare. I think you’ll find a hard time finding many players that had acl and pcl injury that came back and played at a high level

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Sorry you don’t change stats because of an injury. He wasn’t elite, that’s all there is to this.
No but he was a substantial talent that was on his way to being able to plant a flag in that territory.

I am not going to argue that he was elite, but there was a point where it was reasonable to project that he would become elite. And that is the basis for looking back to imagine "what could have been."

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I do very much dislike this OL, and want to see the interior hold up before I hold out any hope for it. The line flat out stunk too often last year and replaced exactly one starter. But let's take it at face value: Spending the first overall pick on QB has given this league the following in the past ten years: Bryce Young, Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, Jameis Winston. Who among them had good OLs as a rookie?

As far as the entire surrounding cast goes, yeah that is inarguable. The last time a top 10 QB was drafted to a team with a set of WRs like this was what, Leinart? Anybody have a better memory and wants to throw out a name?

@DanielCCSBears - To tie this tweet in, what of those teams who drafted QB at 1OA had set those QBs up for success as rookies? Do you really think that that is a fair measuring stick?
Opening day could easily become: Jones, Bates, Shelton, Jenkins, Wright if Davis does his mope thing this year. I believe that's why they picked up Shelton even though they probably planned on Bates at C... besides the ability to rotate Bates from C if a G goes down.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No but he was a substantial talent that was on his way to being able to plant a flag in that territory.

I am not going to argue that he was elite, but there was a point where it was reasonable to project that he would become elite. And that is the basis for looking back to imagine "what could have been."
I can see that and understand. I think his 2004 was more of an anomaly than anything. I guess we’ll never know.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
The only thing is that in 05 before he went down with that injury he was playing terrible. 6 TD's and 12 picks with a 72 rating. Guess which receiver was no longer with the Vikings after 04? I think Moss had more to do with his success than he actually did.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Is there seriously an argument over how good Dante Culpeper was?

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Is there seriously an argument over how good Dante Culpeper was?
What is your opinion on Daunte Culpepper?

In Culpepper's first 5 seasons as a starter (but for sitting his rookie year), he showed obvious potential to be a star as a passer (to Randy Moss, one of the greatest WR talents of all time) with ups and downs that lasted entire seasons. Had Justin Fields put up the passing stats of 2000, 2003, or 2004 Daunte Culpepper, he would still be the unquestioned starting QB in Chicago.

You're welcome, now it is about Bears football.