For those of you who hate the offensive line

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Roethlisberger was pretty darn bad in that game - That game was won by Willie Parker, a trick play, and one of the most stifling defenses we have been blessed to see. You might as well credit Tommy Maddox for winning a Super Bowl that year. It took him a Ben until his 4th year to be the big name at QB that we remember in hindsight, and even then, I recall there being articles expressing concern over how he would follow up his awesome 2007 season.
He accounted for 9 touchdowns over the course of their playoff run 7 TD passes and two rushing. If you do that in your second year in the NFL it gets you a ton of leeway.

You can try to minimize Big Ben while boosting Duante Culpepper all you want but it's not even close to reality.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Are you derailing your own thread again that calls out people who find our offensive line still suspect (‘hate’ is your word) by engaging in the daunte culpepper and now rapistburger debate that you yourself called out in your thread as being off topic?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Not a very competently thought-out tweet, but that's modern society and modern "journalism" for you.

Just last year, the Texans were a top 10 unit before injuries to Kendrick Green, Tytus Howard, and Juice Scruggs, before back ups came in and got hurt. They finished the year in the early-mid teens depending on which rankings you look up.

The bears finished 2023 with the 26th best OL, per PFN. Bottom 10. It boggles my mind how with one change, at C--a position Poles has just fucked up sideways since he's got here and now he's throwing more buckets of shit against the wall--hoping this time the BACKUP guy the rams had no problem waiving goodbye to and paying someone else--will be the one is like a lazy kid who's half-assing his homework 2 minutes before its due then wondering why he can't do anything right and can never get a good grade. Oh, Ryan Bates and his 35 snaps when he wasn't a perpetual healthy scratch a year ago is the back up? The needle isn't as far from 'Lucas Patrick' as fans want to think, especially the ones who pined for drafting WR3 in the top 10 of the draft a couple months back over fixing said bottom 10 OL.

Somehow, they're one of the best units in the league for a rookie QB to walk into now? Normally, I'd ask for this guy's weed dealer's info--but this is straight paint-huffing behavior.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He accounted for 9 touchdowns over the course of their playoff run 7 TD passes and two rushing. If you do that in your second year in the NFL it gets you a ton of leeway.

You can try to minimize Big Ben while boosting Duante Culpepper all you want but it's not even close to reality.
Off topic as SB was the mention and he had a 22 rating in that one with 2 INTs, 0 passing TDs and a 22 rating.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not a very competently thought-out tweet, but that's modern society and modern "journalism" for you.

Just last year, the Texans were a top 10 unit before injuries to Kendrick Green, Tytus Howard, and Juice Scruggs, before back ups came in and got hurt. They finished the year in the early-mid teens depending on which rankings you look up.

The bears finished 2023 with the 26th best OL, per PFN. Bottom 10. It boggles my mind how with one change, at C--a position Poles has just fucked up sideways since he's got here and now he's throwing more buckets of shit against the wall--hoping this time the BACKUP guy the rams had no problem waiving goodbye to and paying someone else--will be the one is like a lazy kid who's half-assing his homework 2 minutes before its due then wondering why he can't do anything right and can never get a good grade. Oh, Ryan Bates and his 35 snaps when he wasn't a perpetual healthy scratch a year ago is the back up? The needle isn't as far from 'Lucas Patrick' as fans want to think, especially the ones who pined for drafting WR3 in the top 10 of the draft a couple months back over fixing said bottom 10 OL.

Somehow, they're one of the best units in the league for a rookie QB to walk into now? Normally, I'd ask for this guy's weed dealer's info--but this is straight paint-huffing behavior.
Caleb will certainly make their stats look better. I expect a middle 10 ranking.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

I am not minimizing Big Ben - that was what the media line was at the time. The ongoing conversation had been about Ben's decision-making on field not improving, leading to too many sacks and turnovers; and his decision-making off-field, of which I likely do not need to remind you. I was living in NE Ohio at the time, all sports talk on local TV and Radio was AFCN, and I was an active listener on my drives to work (as a consequence, I still like AFCN football, and follow that division as closely as you would expect a local). Further, this post distracts from the point you had just made, being that Big Ben won Super Bowl XL (which was after the point that you made, where two bad seasons in five should cost a rookie the chance at securing a second contract). The comparison here is because you put up two years of passing stats to show that a QB shouldn't get a second contract (where both Daunte Culpepper and Ben Rapedaburger were awarded a second, very lucrative contract with the team that drafted them, while having seasons worth of struggles).

So you can pretend that I am saying something I am not all you like. I am not minimizing Big Ben, who is going to the HOF, nor am I boosting Daunte Culpepper who is not going to the HOF. I am talking about what the storyline was at the time, without any hindsight. I fear you are actually looking back with their future careers in mind, instead of recalling what the NFL was like in 2006.

Last edited:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yes, but you have to look at it relatively. The Bears offensive line in relation to the NFL defensive lines they are blocking is much better than USC’s offensive line in relation to the college defensive lines they were blocking.
yes, you do. i was being tongue and cheek when i said what i said.

however, im not ready to assume the bears O line is better than USC's relative to the levels they represent. I need to SEE it happen to believe at this point. ive been through waaaaay too many offseasons where the O line has been declared to be "fixed."

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I'm not trying to throw Justin under the bus, but his ability to throw with timing and anticipation was not the best, and that is just about the worst thing an O-line could have. Can you imagine being engaged in Pass Protection, and a typical 2-3 seconds for the play has turned into 4-5 seconds and you do not know if the QB is scrambling or still looking for a WR. That was on the exception with Justin, that was the rule....

I am hoping that a combination of better QB play, better play calling, a massive increase in WR Talent and a slight improvement in at least the Center position will result in improved play.

I'm not naive, a rookie QB will have growing pains and a new offense too, so I don't expect to come out of the gates like gang busters....So Yeah, wait and see.

One thing that still baffles me is that the organization is so lackluster in it's approach towards Center. Once again going into the year, we do not have a clear cut starting caliber player, they just keep throwing shit up against the wall hoping something will stick. At least this year they are throwing more than one pile....It would not surprise me one bit if we were looking for the position again next off season

Washington

Liked Posts:

I agree 100% with your post. But, one has to assume/pray/hope that the 2 tackles improve and maybe the RG actually decides to show up and play football at a level he has in the past. The LG needs to stay healthy and that has yet to happen in his career. If none of that happens, CW is going to be running for his life in the same way JF did. I continue to feel the OL is the team's weak link and will be in the bottom of the league once again. I hope I am wrong.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'm not trying to throw Justin under the bus, but his ability to throw with timing and anticipation was not the best, and that is just about the worst thing an O-line could have. Can you imagine being engaged in Pass Protection, and a typical 2-3 seconds for the play has turned into 4-5 seconds and you do not know if the QB is scrambling or still looking for a WR. That was on the exception with Justin, that was the rule....

I am hoping that a combination of better QB play, better play calling, a massive increase in WR Talent and a slight improvement in at least the Center position will result in improved play.

I'm not naive, a rookie QB will have growing pains and a new offense too, so I don't expect to come out of the gates like gang busters....So Yeah, wait and see.

One thing that still baffles me is that the organization is so lackluster in it's approach towards Center. Once again going into the year, we do not have a clear cut starting caliber player, they just keep throwing shit up against the wall hoping something will stick. At least this year they are throwing more than one pile....It would not surprise me one bit if we were looking for the position again next off season

I'm not saying Fields could throw with anticipation but that "typical 2-3 seconds" is a fallacy lost in averages.

If the fastest person at any position in the whole NFL history ran slower than 10yds per second for a 40 time explain how anyone but a noodle arm QB is throwing 2-3 seconds typically?

You either want a noodle arm QB with a screen pass OC or you want 50yd bombs. You can't have both. There is no possible math to make that work.

If you want long passes like everyone on CCS complains about if they don't happen constantly you need an oline that can protect for at least 5 seconds. And that's only less than 50yd passes with the bumps and jukes which people will still bitch about.

DaBears3434

Liked Posts:
I'm not saying Fields could throw with anticipation but that "typical 2-3 seconds" is a fallacy lost in averages.

If the fastest person at any position in the whole NFL history ran slower than 10yds per second for a 40 time explain how anyone but a noodle arm QB is throwing 2-3 seconds typically?

You either want a noodle arm QB with a screen pass OC or you want 50yd bombs. You can't have both. There is no possible math to make that work.

If you want long passes like everyone on CCS complains about if they don't happen constantly you need an oline that can protect for at least 5 seconds. And that's only less than 50yd passes with the bumps and jukes which people will still bitch about.
Seems like you’re not taking into account the time the ball is in the air. If a QB hits a WR on a 9 route, and the catch is made 40 yards down the field, how far down the field would the WR be when the QB releases the ball?

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Probably selling all his untied game worn cleats for Taco Bell gift cards

Lets not forget this gem of a hot take

You want to go in on a wager about J'Marcus Webb being the starter at the RT position and that Mills will be the backup?

If I win the bet that Webb will be the starter with Mills as his backup I'll go away from message board posting FOREVER if it turns out any other way. No new names, no cute little bullshit...I'll go away forever.

If Webb wins the RT then you go away forever. Plus you can pick any of the remaining scrubs on the roster to beat out Webb for the RT spot.

Hell I'll even give you Kyle Long, you can throw in Long and say what Emery said about believing in Long's versatility and how we believe he can play right tackle. You can have Long, Scott, Britton and Mills to be the starting right tackle....

I'lll take Webb as the starting RT. The loser never posts again.

Wonder what ever happened to BearsFan 51?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Seems like you’re not taking into account the time the ball is in the air. If a QB hits a WR on a 9 route, and the catch is made 40 yards down the field, how far down the field would the WR be when the QB releases the ball?

I don't see why I would need to.
If time to pass was all CCS makes it out to be Mac Jones was #2 and NE wouldn't have used the #3 to replace him.
I don't care how slow the ball is traveling. When the fastest runners in the history of the NFL are taking more than 10yds per second the magic 2.5 seconds is 25yds. It is impossible for it to be substantially more.
You're not turning that into 50yds or 75yds.
If I remember O'Sullivan's complaints about lack of anticipation it's about 10-15yds before the WR gets there.

If the QB floated a ball for 2-3 seconds you be blaming him for the pick.
But that's what too many on CCS are all about. Pick the player you don't like and blame everything on them. Like blaming the QBs for the defense.

Salvaged Ship

Liked Posts:
All holes were not going to be filled in one offseason, what they did get was damn impressive. We have what, 8 picks in next years draft? I wouldn’t be surprised if all those picks are kept we use 3 of them on offensive linemen.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
All holes were not going to be filled in one offseason, what they did get was damn impressive. We have what, 8 picks in next years draft? I wouldn’t be surprised if all those picks are kept we use 3 of them on offensive linemen.
The team has at the moment 4 picks in the top 100. Getting two OL and two DL with those four picks would make me very happy, but I don't want to be look that far ahead :)

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Pass rush
IOL
Safety
LB
DB
WR
then maybe IDL or KR

there's your first 7 needs for next season, IF!! things goes as plan in Poles' brain plus depending on who poles re-sgns, so let's pretend that we're extending Jenkins this season sometime. I have no doubt he wants to see this line protection wise firstmost before he makes any another move(s).

edit to add: ...FUCK i forgot about T.E we're gonna have to replace the 2 older guys at that spot too. Gotta take another look at the FA list for next season..🤷‍♂️

what they did get was damn impressive.
Wild, beside for the fact that we missed out on hopefully trying to steal Kamal Hadden late. I still feel like Poles murdered the draft. but i really don't know shit besides watching college games.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do very much dislike this OL, and want to see the interior hold up before I hold out any hope for it. The line flat out stunk too often last year and replaced exactly one starter. But let's take it at face value: Spending the first overall pick on QB has given this league the following in the past ten years: Bryce Young, Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, Jameis Winston. Who among them had good OLs as a rookie?

As far as the entire surrounding cast goes, yeah that is inarguable. The last time a top 10 QB was drafted to a team with a set of WRs like this was what, Leinart? Anybody have a better memory and wants to throw out a name?

@DanielCCSBears - To tie this tweet in, what of those teams who drafted QB at 1OA had set those QBs up for success as rookies? Do you really think that that is a fair measuring stick?

Joe Burrow and Herbert had talented wide outs.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
i dont think you are reading and grasping what i am actually saying lol

none of those pass rushes will compare to any NFL squads pass rush
Thanks..........point taken.

Queston for you..........What great or even good pass rushing teams will the Bears face in 2024? Colts, 9ers based off of last year and Texans with offseason improvements are all I see.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Thanks..........point taken.

Queston for you..........What great or even good pass rushing teams will the Bears face in 2024? Colts, 9ers based off of last year and Texans with offseason improvements are all I see.
You’re forgetting that team up north. I’d have to look at the schedule for the rest