For those of you who hate the offensive line

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What is your opinion on Daunte Culpepper?

In Culpepper's first 5 seasons as a starter (but for sitting his rookie year), he showed obvious potential to be a star as a passer (to Randy Moss, one of the greatest WR talents of all time) with ups and downs that lasted entire seasons. Had Justin Fields put up the passing stats of 2000, 2003, or 2004 Daunte Culpepper, he would still be the unquestioned starting QB in Chicago.

You're welcome, now it is about Bears football.
14 touchdowns and 13 interceptions followed by 18 and 23. He was great at putting up yards. But if a guy is in his rookie year contract putting up those TD to INT ratios he's not getting signed to a long term deal.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Definitely wait and see with the OL. The improvement at center could be huge for the overall OL. I also think the depth is a bit better.

Beyond that, it will be huge for the OL and the offense as a whole if Williams gets the ball out within the correct timing of the plays. It will make everyone look better.
This still will be a better OL than Williams ever had at USC.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
14 touchdowns and 13 interceptions followed by 18 and 23. He was great at putting up yards. But if a guy is in his rookie year contract putting up those TD to INT ratios he's not getting signed to a long term deal.
Well, by today's standards, no he wouldn't. I said if Fields played similarly to one of Culpepper's better seasons. I don't know why you are comparing Culpepper's low seasons.

But you know who did play similarly at the time and got signed to a big contract? Ben Rapedaburger. Look at those first five years of starts and compare to the first five years of starts for Culpepper. Makes one wonder what would have happened if Culpepper had the 15-20 year career, and Rapedaburger was shuffled around the league before cementing the legacy as a perennial playoff contender.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
This still will be a better OL than Williams ever had at USC.
yes, but the pass rush from opposing teams will be better than anything Williams saw at USC as well

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I do very much dislike this OL, and want to see the interior hold up before I hold out any hope for it. The line flat out stunk too often last year and replaced exactly one starter. But let's take it at face value: Spending the first overall pick on QB has given this league the following in the past ten years: Bryce Young, Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, Jameis Winston. Who among them had good OLs as a rookie?

As far as the entire surrounding cast goes, yeah that is inarguable. The last time a top 10 QB was drafted to a team with a set of WRs like this was what, Leinart? Anybody have a better memory and wants to throw out a name?

@DanielCCSBears - To tie this tweet in, what of those teams who drafted QB at 1OA had set those QBs up for success as rookies? Do you really think that that is a fair measuring stick?
Let's see.............Andrew Luck.
Reggie Wayne
Donnie Avery a solid veteran WR.
TY Hilton, outstanding rookie slot.
Allen/Fleener rookie TEs

Justin Herbert..........
Eckler RB
Allen WR
Williams WR
Henry TE

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
yes, but the pass rush from opposing teams will be better than anything Williams saw at USC as well
Not sure about that, UCLA led by Latu was one of the better pass rushes in college ball last year, Utah had a very good pass rush and Oregon was a top ten defensive team with a decent rush.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Not sure about that, UCLA led by Latu was one of the better pass rushes in college ball last year, Utah had a very good pass rush and Oregon was a top ten defensive team with a decent rush.
i dont think you are reading and grasping what i am actually saying lol

none of those pass rushes will compare to any NFL squads pass rush

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Wonder what Jamarcus Webb is up to these days

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Well, by today's standards, no he wouldn't. I said if Fields played similarly to one of Culpepper's better seasons. I don't know why you are comparing Culpepper's low seasons.

I'm not comparing them they happened within his first 5 years in the NFL. So if we're going by the 5 year standard, those happened before year 6 year 5 of starting.

He had a great year in year 6. Enough to save his career? It didn't. He was always teetering between Donovan McNabb and Jamarcus Russell. He eventually led the food win.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Reggie Wayne
Allen/Fleener rookie TEs

Justin Herbert..........
Eckler RB
Allen WR
Williams WR
Henry TE
Might be the best for a #1 pick in a while or ever but there's been a a decent number of 1st round QBs going to better teams/Os. This has been noted a few to few times here but it never seems to stick.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Reggie Wayne
Allen/Fleener rookie TEs

Justin Herbert..........
Eckler RB
Allen WR
Williams WR
Henry TE
Not a bad list.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'm not comparing them they happened within his first 5 years in the NFL. So if we're going by the 5 year standard, those happened before year 6 year 5 of starting.

He had a great year in year 6. Enough to save his career? It didn't. He was always teetering between Donovan McNabb and Jamarcus Russell. He eventually led the food win.
Big Ben in Pittsburgh was also up and down and got his second contract.

But he did get that long term deal based on his play. Culpepper signed a 10 year deal with Minnesota. As I recall, the going concern was how he would recover from a knee injury, and Miami had high hopes that he would return to form when they traded for him.

DaBears3434

Liked Posts:
Yes, but you have to look at it relatively. The Bears offensive line in relation to the NFL defensive lines they are blocking is much better than USC’s offensive line in relation to the college defensive lines they were blocking.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Big Ben in Pittsburgh was also up and down and got his second contract.

But he did get that long term deal based on his play. Culpepper signed a 10 year deal with Minnesota. As I recall, the going concern was how he would recover from a knee injury, and Miami had high hopes that he would return to form when they traded for him.
Big Ben won a Super Bowl in year two.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You’re not sure NFL pass rushers are better than those three college teams?

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Big Ben won a Super Bowl in year two.
Roethlisberger was pretty darn bad in that game - That game was won by Willie Parker, a trick play, and one of the most stifling defenses we have been blessed to see. You might as well credit Tommy Maddox for winning a Super Bowl that year. It took him a Ben until his 4th year to be the big name at QB that we remember in hindsight, and even then, I recall there being articles expressing concern over how he would follow up his awesome 2007 season.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Braxton Jones we had last year, hell we drafted him. He's overperformed for where he was drafted and is adequate, but not top tier. We could use an upgrade there and he would be a beautiful depth tackle.

Nate Davis underperformed in every way last year. His mom died, so he gets a bit of a pass on it, but then you'd expect him to come in this year roaring to prove himself, but instead he has barely done shit.

Center we got 2 people in who are 2nd - 3rd tier centers where we are gambling on "improvement"

Only Teven Jenkins has shown that he's a beast regularly.
And Darnell Wright has had enough of an upward curve to feel good about his development pattern.

but okay, my opinion is invalid and I don't keep up with the news because you say so.

Anyways, yes. you are correct in that it IS the most CLEAR example of a "wait and see" situation. Because we can still hope Nate Davis shows up and at least one of those centers can play.

Solid breakdown of the line.