Fox wanted Watson. Mahomes was Pace's No 2 QB.

mecha

Liked Posts:
How sad is it that 31 fan bases think John Fox is a decent or better coach while Bears fans think Fox is a buffoon known for his ineptitude?

Fox coached the team at a very bad time. by time they got the pieces in place to not suck balls he was gone. they also posted one of the franchise worst season records under his watch, even though they wound up having to play like a PS guy at QB for the majority of the season if I remember right.

Does that surprise you? Watson was the safe choice, Fox wasn’t gonna go out on a limb. It’s not that he was so smart, just more careful. Pace just thought he could be the smartest guy in the joint if he hit with Trubs. Oops.
And to the idea that Mahomes would’ve been a HOFer here, the Trib has an article about the draft with some great inside info from Pats coaches. Sounded like A LOT of work went into making him the QB he is today. I’ve never seen that from anyone in the Bears org. My guess is they would’ve thrown him out in game 4 or 5 and told him to go get em. He might’ve actually been Cutler 2.0.

this is what I've been saying all along. Bears could've drafted Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes and they would've all wound up like Doug Flutie 1987, not Doug Flutie 1997. CCS, the hardcore meatballs, and the casual dickheads would've treated every one of them like Jay Cutler and Mitch Trubisky with the lack of offensive development that's existed with this team since forever.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How sad is it that 31 fan bases think John Fox is a decent or better coach while Bears fans think Fox is a buffoon known for his ineptitude?

Hold on, weren't you the guy who kept saying that Watson would be a backup or out of the league in two years?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I've been telling you guys along that pace was an idiot. Fucking pace lovers spunky and playthrough have disappeared. Spunky loved pace so much that he went on a disliking spree for every anti pace post. What a crybaby.

I haven’t disappeared and you’re still a flaming idiot. Actually, you’re the guy that didn’t have anything to say last year. Do you still have a poster of Phil Emery up in your mom’s basement? You’re the kind of clown that probably hopes the bears lose so you feel some kind of vindication.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Nah, they fucked that draft up. Bears could seriously have Watson, Juju, Jackson, and Kittle. Instead there's Mitch, Shaheen (probably a worse pick than Mitch) Jackson & Cohen.
Nothing in this entire post addresses anything I said in mine.

BearsJR

Liked Posts:
I remember right after that draft someone reported that the only QB Pace was going to select was Trubisky. If he missed out on Trubisky, he wasn’t going to draft a QB at all. That would help explain the needless trade up.
The article I mentioned earlier also said that Pace had been fielding calls looking to trade for the Bears spot. He thought they wanted Mitch too and would be calling SF to trade for their pick. That’s why he made the trade up, because he was so convinced that Mitch was THE guy. He saw (sees) him as Drew Brees 2.0.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Even Fox wanted Watson. That tells you everything you need to know about Pace’s quarterback evaluations
Well, he did want Mahomes more than Fox did. Still...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The article I mentioned earlier also said that Pace had been fielding calls looking to trade for the Bears spot. He thought they wanted Mitch too and would be calling SF to trade for their pick. That’s why he made the trade up, because he was so convinced that Mitch was THE guy. He saw (sees) him as Drew Brees 2.0.
That's was my impression as well, that and Cleveland considering Mitch at 1. Actually, the 2nd part should of had us worried. Cleveland then also traded away from Watson while having enough juice to move for whomever they wanted while desperately needing a QB. :brady:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember right after that draft someone reported that the only QB Pace was going to select was Trubisky. If he missed out on Trubisky, he wasn’t going to draft a QB at all. That would help explain the needless trade up.
That's seriously fucked up. Pace can go ahead and gtfo any time now.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
While it’s embarrassing that’s a little much. Bears still have a very good D, and solid weapons on offense. OL and TE sucks but a decent QB could make up for it. If the bears win a SB in the next couple years nobody will really care.

We have been searching for a decent QB my entire life.

Now we need Pace, who has blown 2 QB evaluations, to all of a sudden find one? Good luck to us.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
This make things worse for me. If Pace was down to Trubs and Hatrick, what did he see that led him to believe Mitch was better?

In 2016 Hatrick threw for 5k yards, 41 Td's and 10 picks with a 65.7 percent completion percentage. He threw for 734 yards and 5 TD's against Oklahoma. He threw for 586 yards and 6 TD's against Baylor. He had a few mediocre games in there but the arm was big time. Mitch had some good games against Pitt and a down trodden FSU team were he threw for 450 yards and 5/3 TD's, but the overall body of work and competition was heavily in Hatrick's favor.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's seriously fucked up. Pace can go ahead and gtfo any time now.

It's almost like Pace went full pedestrian and thought that Trubisky looked like and had the athleticism of Brees...and literally thought Trubisky = Brees.

Phuc.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I remember hoping Bears would draft Watson too. This organization will never live that draft down.

I know you took some clap-back here, but I agree. I think Bears' trade-up move for QB in the 2017 draft will be forever among the top 10 bad draft moves of all time. Possibly #1 if things keep going on like this with Watson and Mahomes playing like they do and Mitch regressing like he is. If all that holds true over the future, I think it will be the single highest selection of worst draft moves of all time for NFL Films.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pace went all in on Mitch, he lost, now it is time to leave the table

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This offseason is when they have to pick up his 5yr option. If they do we riot.

One of my major Ryan Pace fears is that he is going to try and protect himself by extending Floyd and picking up Trubisky's option.

That way he can say that some of his 1st round picks got 2nd contracts.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This make things worse for me. If Pace was down to Trubs and Hatrick, what did he see that led him to believe Mitch was better?

In 2016 Hatrick threw for 5k yards, 41 Td's and 10 picks with a 65.7 percent completion percentage. He threw for 734 yards and 5 TD's against Oklahoma. He threw for 586 yards and 6 TD's against Baylor. He had a few mediocre games in there but the arm was big time. Mitch had some good games against Pitt and a down trodden FSU team were he threw for 450 yards and 5/3 TD's, but the overall body of work and competition was heavily in Hatrick's favor.

these “professional” evaluators simply over analyze players sometimes.... they look for “traits” instead of turning on the damn game and going “hey, this fucker can really play.”

also, college experience can not be overstated IMO at the QB position. RB it don’t matter. QB, that guy better have started 3 or 4 years. IMO at least.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Nah, they fucked that draft up. Bears could seriously have Watson, Juju, Jackson, and Kittle. Instead there's Mitch, Shaheen (probably a worse pick than Mitch) Jackson & Cohen.
I wish people would stop talking about Kittle like ANYBODY knew who the fuck he was before or during the draft.

It’s so silly to go back and say “we could have had.. [insert best player from each round here]”