Free Agency news - 2020

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think the Bears are in a really nice draft position now after free agency. It is going to be an exciting draft even though we don't have a 1st rounder.

Plenty of interior OL prospects are going to fall to us in the 2nd.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Massie is not the type of player Castillo wants at G. He is waaaay too big and unathletic to play G in his scheme.
And to piggy back off this before the Leno to guard guys come in here he too weak for guard. Just going to have to look at reality we are stuck with both for at least this season. If we can find a flexible ol that can play t/g it would be ideal

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I would not be shocked if the Bears are done signing free agents until after the draft.

1. We have limited cap room, so who can we really sign. I am fine with the Foles and Quinn signings, but am befuddled by the Graham signing.
  2. Let's see what happens in the draft. We will have a better idea of the roster holes, and other teams will likely adjust there rosters based upon the draft - i.e., others will be cut.
  3. Compensatory picks - I think I have this right, but timing is important because any free agents signed after May 5th—the second Tuesday after the draft—won’t count against a team’s comp pick formula. As a result, teams would prefer to wait things out, and so veteran free agents run the risk of losing a potential roster spot to a much cheaper draft pick. Plus, draft pick volume matters because the draft tends to be a crapshoot,
Obviously, just by the act of positioning this, the Bears will now sign somebody.
Only top 50 contracts count towards cap. We are not done signing. We still need

2 s one starter one depth
Db depends on who you ask what we need
Ilb depth
Olb depth
Dl depth

and on offense

t/g
G/c
Rb
Speed wr

pace isn’t going into the draft needing all that

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think the Bears are in a really nice draft position now after free agency. It is going to be an exciting draft even though we don't have a 1st rounder.

Plenty of interior OL prospects are going to fall to us in the 2nd.

It's gonna be a long boring draft if we stay at #43 and #50 with no 1st, 3rd or 4th round picks. We'll have to sit and watch players we wanted the Bears to get for hours.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
it sucks if we go into the draft HAVING to pick someone at a certain position.

What if the OG talent in the 2nd round is a reach?

What if they aren’t ready to play?

That is too much risk to assume.

Cushenberry and Ruiz will most likely both be there.

BPo001

Liked Posts:
Deon Bush is back with the Bears - 1 year deal.
Nice. He looked solid last year when he played I thought. Might have a legit chance if starting.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Something I don't think is getting enough attention is the WR market. So many teams have opted to look for trade options (like Diggs/Hopkins) or just wait for the draft.

Gotta think in this market a bunch of value deals will be coming shortly. Think about it. if you were Robby Anderson, Emanuel Sanders or Breshad Perriman you are sitting back without getting paid while the draft is inching closer, teams are spending on other positions and COVID-19 might impact how many games are played this year.

Actually the only outlier has been Randall Cobb. That 3 year, $27M, $18.75M guaranteed contract looks so weird right now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Glad you're already predicting for our o-line to suck a couple days into free agency and over a month away from the draft.

He brought in legit coaches for the o-line and running game and now he needs to add a RG and Swing Tackle so to think that's something he won't be able to do this early into the offseason is ridiculous.

There's also no reason to think Leno and Massie can't get right back to being the kinda good tackles they were before last year.

Perhaps read my post before this one dummy. I said Pace must have a plan. That post was tongue in cheek as I obviously know Pace is going to address OL at some point. Just saying CP is a luxury.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bad take. CP is a good football player and we need those on the team.

Rather see him extended and spread out the cap hit.

How many teams pay 5.75 million for a special teamer. He is good at the least valuable thing in modern football.

I would be fine with keeping him if we had cap or were stacked.

Let me ask a simple question. If you could sign a vet RG but needed to cut CP to afford it, would you do it? The answer for me is 100% yes which was point of post.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Something I don't think is getting enough attention is the WR market. So many teams have opted to look for trade options (like Diggs/Hopkins) or just wait for the draft.

Gotta think in this market a bunch of value deals will be coming shortly. Think about it. if you were Robby Anderson, Emanuel Sanders or Breshad Perriman you are sitting back without getting paid while the draft is inching closer, teams are spending on other positions and COVID-19 might impact how many games are played this year.

Actually the only outlier has been Randall Cobb. That 3 year, $27M, $18.75M guaranteed contract looks so weird right now.

BOB is what happened to Cobb. The only GM in NFL that could teade Hopkins without getting a first and then sign a mediocre WR for 9 million a year.

He makes Pace look like Bellichek.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
BOB is what happened to Cobb. The only GM in NFL that could teade Hopkins without getting a first and then sign a mediocre WR for 9 million a year.

He makes Pace look like Bellichek.
Yeah, my friends that are Texans fans have stopped watching the offseason movement. Some feel O'Brien has a hatred towards the fans and he's torturing them.

Anyway, regarding Pace, I know he's made some dummy moves in the past, but overall with limited cap space and the draft still to happen he will be fielding a better team than last year. There's no denying he's in win-now mode and he's making decent moves.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, my friends that are Texans fans have stopped watching the offseason movement. Some feel O'Brien has a hatred towards the fans and he's torturing them.

Anyway, regarding Pace, I know he's made some dummy moves in the past, but overall with limited cap space and the draft still to happen he will be fielding a better team than last year. There's no denying he's in win-now mode and he's making decent moves.

The problem is he is pushing a lot of money into future years which will hamstring his replacement if he is fired. Very cynical approach designed more to save his job than long term success of franchise. Of course if we end up winning then that dampens the criticism.

Moves have been decent but the Graham signing just is baffling to me. There was no need to move that early for such a mediocre player for that much money. More than likely he or someone else could have been had for much cheaper by just waiting for 2nd wave of FA.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Sorry Pegger, no optimism is allowed here.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Perhaps read my post before this one dummy. I said Pace must have a plan. That post was tongue in cheek as I obviously know Pace is going to address OL at some point. Just saying CP is a luxury.

Sorry but i've been scrolling right past a lot of your posts the last few days cause you get in these post battles with different posters multiple times every day and you don't stop until you get the last word and your posts are like a full page of a John Grisham book and you say nothing that isn't expected from you anyway.

#Typical