Free Agency news - 2020

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It's been interesting watching Rodgers with Graham the past two years. Based on Rodgers reactions it always seemed like Graham wasn't in the right spot or didn't read the coverage correctly. This seemed odd. Never saw Graham have these issues with Brees in NO or Wilson in Seattle. Seemed weird that those other QBs could do more with Graham and seem less frusturated.

I just think Rodgers doesn't use the TE much. His best TE is a guy like Richard Rodgers (AKA Dick Rod). People forget in his second year he had 58 catches, 510 yards and 8 TDs while catching the ball from Rodgers. I think he needs a no name so the expectations are low.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I actually don't think its more likely. You're all into stats, I think it's more likely that Jimmy goes back to his mean than Eric Ebron exceeds his mean.

Ebron is a TE#2 is whole career.

Do you think it will be worth 4 million more over 2 years as issue is Age and the fact they paid him more. Graham should never have been a day one target.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
With Ebron signing with the Steelers there should be one key piece we should keep in mind. You can debate contract, age and ability of the Ebron vs. Graham discussion, but it's undeniable that the Bears valued Graham higher.

So whatever your feelings are feel free to let them be known, but at the end of the day the decision makers knew both people were free agents and they liked one over the other.
After dealing with brandon marshal Idt Ebron was ever an option. The guy is all over the place on social media picking fights with fans. They don’t want distractions like

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Dont think anyone said it was the end of the world. Just that it was a poor decision. These 1 to 2 million overpays here and there adds up to like 15-20 million if you do it enough and Pace overpays a lot. Hence why he is now pushing money into future years.

There is really no way for us to determine if a player is overpaid or not as we don't know if anyone else was interested and what was offered. I much prefer to look at actual results a year or two later. (plenty of legit criticism for Pace doing it that way) Saying a guy is overpaid now though is simply impossible to do.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You say this like we are not cap strapped.

The issue with Graham is twofold. 16 million and 34.

You can say he and Ebron are similar but Steelers get a TE that is similar but 7 years younger and 4 million cheaper. It is more likely Ebron performs in his age 27 season than Graham in his age 34 season.

Really think injury history is the key here. Graham has played 16 games for 4 seasons in a row. Ebron had issues all last year. No way can Pace survive if he signs another injured TE.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
My only defense of Graham is everyone always expects big numbers from Rodgers tight ends and it never happens. But he did suck as well with Wilson who loves tight ends. Graham use to thrive because he was a great athlete. His athleticism is gone though

He didn't suck with Wilson.....

He only played 11 games his first year....second year- he was really good....third year yards were slightly down but he had 10 TDs...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
So they are actually working on it or is this just speculation by you?

Last I heard(A week ago on Waddle/Silvy) he said they werent even talking.

little birdie that supposedly knows......

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
He didn't suck with Wilson.....

He only played 11 games his first year....second year- he was really good....third year yards were slightly down but he had 10 TDs...
Fair enough. I guess my memory wasn't correct about his time in Seattle. Maybe that last year just stuck. But I looked and the numbers were solid there

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Finley did aight....but it was also the first couple years of rodgers. Usually young QB's rely on their tight ends because they don't look down the field as much.

Rodgers has shown he doesn't utilize his TE's as much as some other QB's. Then again who knows, maybe Graham is done.
That was my point.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
So Broncos getting Melvin Gordon for 2 years 16 million, 13.5 milliom guaranteed.

Same total money as Graham. SMH.

This is why you dont overpay for mediocre talent on day 1m. You go after guys like Quinn on day 1. Otherwise keep your money and see whose values drop.

I would take a Monty/Gordon combo at RB over Graham/Burton any day.
Nah, I am not a Gordon fan. Better RBs can be had in the later rds.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
You say this like we are not cap strapped.

The issue with Graham is twofold. 16 million and 34.

You can say he and Ebron are similar but Steelers get a TE that is similar but 7 years younger and 4 million cheaper. It is more likely Ebron performs in his age 27 season than Graham in his age 34 season.
It is also more likely that Ebron is out with an injury than Graham. Ebron has been injury prone his entire career. Thus the reason he gets less money. Greg Olsen got a $7 million contract for 1 season. Add another season and it is a $14 million contract. Olsen has also been injured. Graham's contract is about right.

msadows

Liked Posts:
It is also more likely that Ebron is out with an injury than Graham. Ebron has been injury prone his entire career. Thus the reason he gets less money. Greg Olsen got a $7 million contract for 1 season. Add another season and it is a $14 million contract. Olsen has also been injured. Graham's contract is about right.

I won't go as far as say its "about right", its def an overpay. However, a ton of people on here act like Graham was gonna get a vet minimum if the bears didn't give him 8m/yr.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think a lot of the Jimmy G signing had to do with run blocking as well. He might not be a good one but he's done it.

Eric Ebron might be one of the worst TE's in the league at it. The colts took him off the field a lot last season because they wanted to run the ball. They basically rarely had him out there when running it.

I wonder if a lot of it had to do with because Jimmy was cut and at that time Pace was really wanting to do what he can to keep all the comp picks he could for next year. I'm sure its' a little bit of both and even though as of now i'm not very happy with the signing it really comes down to the numbers he puts up for us next year. If he goes out and gets 650yds and 8 TD's then it was a good signing and we were all wrong right?

msadows

Liked Posts:
I wonder if a lot of it had to do with because Jimmy was cut and at that time Pace was really wanting to do what he can to keep all the comp picks he could for next year. I'm sure its' a little bit of both and even though as of now i'm not very happy with the signing it really comes down to the numbers he puts up for us next year. If he goes out and gets 650yds and 8 TD's then it was a good signing and we were all wrong right?

And also the fact Jimmy Graham isn't hurt RN and Eric ebron is. We can't give players health screenings RN. Maybe they didn't feel comfortable with ebron. They don't know how the ankle surgeries are holding up.

No way they could risk losing out on every viable TE due to medicals.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Dont think anyone said it was the end of the world. Just that it was a poor decision. These 1 to 2 million overpays here and there adds up to like 15-20 million if you do it enough and Pace overpays a lot. Hence why he is now pushing money into future years.

Glad he didn't get Hooper and pay the $15 mil per that you were on here saying was a good deal for him. Clev got him for $10.5 mil per.

Now tell everyone about how you never said that.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
While everyone is comparing the two signings is there a detail breakdown of both contracts?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So Broncos getting Melvin Gordon for 2 years 16 million, 13.5 milliom guaranteed.

Same total money as Graham. SMH.

This is why you dont overpay for mediocre talent on day 1m. You go after guys like Quinn on day 1. Otherwise keep your money and see whose values drop.

I would take a Monty/Gordon combo at RB over Graham/Burton any day.

Like a fucking broken record. Hahaha this clown will do anything to have a reason to post something negative about the Bears. LOL

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yes same people that liked Trubs over Watson and Mahomes so this is not sayimg much. They have fucked up enough to doubt their judgment.

Broken record going round and around and around. It has to bore you a little to spend so much time on CCS talking about the same shit that's been talked about a million times on CCS over the last couple years. It has to bore you.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
All this debate and outrage about two mediocre TE’s. Both represent upgrades for the Bears only by default. Kinda like going from Mitch to Foles.

It's mostly remy. He has a lot of spare time on his hands to cry about anything Bears.