FREE AGENCY NO NEWS THREAD

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
It's been 6 years since the Bears used a 1st round pick on a defensive player. And obviously the 1st pick of this draft is going to be offense. Last years 1st pick featured OL and trade for WR. Is it asking too much to use something on defense?

Also, last year the top receivers drafted were in later rounds. Time to get a rookie DE stud. I didn't say don't get a WR. Pick one up in FA and draft another later.
A majority of the cap space and draft picks have gone to the defense.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's been 6 years since the Bears used a 1st round pick on a defensive player. And obviously the 1st pick of this draft is going to be offense. Last years 1st pick featured OL and trade for WR. Is it asking too much to use something on defense?

Also, last year the top receivers drafted were in later rounds. Time to get a rookie DE stud. I didn't say don't get a WR. Pick one up in FA and draft another later.

Have you not paid attention these last two years? Poles spent 5 top 64 picks the last two years on defense. 6 if you count the Sweat trade this year.

Canth

Liked Posts:

Honestly, imo, yeah it kinda is.

First, it is not quite correct to say it's been 6 years since we used a 1st round picks on defense. I think you are forgetting that Pace used two 1sts on Mack in the two years after Roquan. Pace also obviously used two 1sts to get Fields. So yeah, not a lot of 1sts in general to use on a direct pick lately.

Second, as I have said several times in various threads now, Poles has dumped a boatload of resources into this defense already. Quick reminder below:
  • 2nd round picks on Gordan, Brisker, Dexter, Stevenson, Sweat
  • 3rd round pick on Pickens
  • FA money to Edmunds, Edwards, Walker, Jones, Billings
  • Big contract extension now to JJ
That is 6 Day 2 picks in 3 years on defense. That is a huge investment of prime draft capital in the defense. It has not been ignored.

From Sportrac, below is a breakdown on cap dollars by side and then position group. Clearly more cap dollars spent on defense. Defensive Line is top 5 in the entire NFL already and that even before they likely sign more DL in FA.

So again, yeah, I think it's time to make some serious investments into the offense and to set up and maximize your shiny new #1 pick QB to be a successful franchise QB - not just another Chicago standard QB but have an actual, honest to god, NFL elite franchise QB. Give Williams the tools that the other guys were not given and see if we can actually make it work.

1709997102739.png

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It’s not too much to ask for using a first round draft pick on defense, but you don’t draft defense just because “it’s been 6 years”. Where the Bears currently stand, a weapon for a rookie QB is more important than a DE. Things could easily change after FA though.
They also got a 1st quality DE last year in Sweat and the O still needs more help. I certainly wouldn't mind D there but I suspect it's one of the WRs if still there. If not, I suspect it may be a trade down for a 1 plus 2 with a WR at one of those.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Honestly, imo, yeah it kinda is.

First, it is not quite correct to say it's been 6 years since we used a 1st round picks on defense. I think you are forgetting that Pace used two 1sts on Mack in the two years after Roquan. Pace also obviously used two 1sts to get Fields. So yeah, not a lot of 1sts in general to use on a direct pick lately.

Second, as I have said several times in various threads now, Poles has dumped a boatload of resources into this defense already. Quick reminder below:
  • 2nd round picks on Gordan, Brisker, Dexter, Stevenson, Sweat
  • 3rd round pick on Pickens
  • FA money to Edmunds, Edwards, Walker, Jones, Billings
  • Big contract extension now to JJ
That is 6 Day 2 picks in 3 years on defense. That is a huge investment of prime draft capital in the defense. It has not been ignored.

From Sportrac, below is a breakdown on cap dollars by side and then position group. Clearly more cap dollars spent on defense. Defensive Line is top 5 in the entire NFL already and that even before they likely sign more DL in FA.

So again, yeah, I think it's time to make some serious investments into the offense and to set up and maximize your shiny new #1 pick QB to be a successful franchise QB - not just another Chicago standard QB but have an actual, honest to god, NFL elite franchise QB. Give Williams the tools that the other guys were not given and see if we can actually make it work.

View attachment 35501
He’s stuck in the past and will ignore a very good informative post like this one here.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Anyone know a lot about him? I don't know much, saw he made the pro bowl as an alternate one year, but really haven't heard much about him.
He's been one of the best safeties in the league for most of his career. Versatile, solid in the box and can also play deep. Missed zero games in his eight year career.

I didn't watch Philly much last year but seemed like he didn't quite fit in there. Also getting a little up there in age.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Anyone know a lot about him? I don't know much, saw he made the pro bowl as an alternate one year, but really haven't heard much about him.

Two PB’s and started 16-17 games every year since 2017. But I’m not gonna act like I’ve watched him play a ton… I haven’t. Just stat scouting. Saw he was listed at FS most years but SS another. Don’t know what he played last year as it lists just safety for a position

Rise

Liked Posts:
i don’t think the Bears should spend big on defense beyond what they have done. Budget buys to fill it out sound good to me. Time to spend real money on offense.

Luke

Liked Posts:

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Only thing Bears should invest on heavily for defense is trench depth/pass rushers. But not at the expense of offense. I'm positive Poles will shore up the safety hole soon, and MAYBE swing a deal on a pass rusher. I think Huff/Wilkins/Hunter are too expensive, at this point but you never know. The most likely scenario with Odunze/Nabers likely gone at 9 is trade back and grab a receiver and pass rusher in the draft.

LIBlue

Liked Posts:
You draft BPA at 9, and the only possible defensive player that falls in that group (my opinion) is Dallas Turner, and that is the one position we need on defense. This is also a very deep draft at both WR and OL, so if you can trade down, that might make sense. But if the pick is one of the top 3 WR, I have no qualms. Just do not lock Into one position only on a team with many needs. I also would love to see Mooney re-signed (unlikely), because he is a good receiver with every QB but JF.