FREE AGENCY NO NEWS THREAD

msadows

Liked Posts:
One thing I will mention is DT's usually dont hit their stride till year 3. Both Wilkins and Madu had 30+ pressures last year and like half that the year prior.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I know everyone loves instant reactions but this is usually the prudent take 9 outa 10 times with free agency and draft picks.
It's the prudent reaction 10/10 times but it is also a complete conversation ender and at that point you might as well shut the site down and go to twitter for bears news.

msadows

Liked Posts:
You're right about Madubuike, but I'm not ok with Billy & Dex

Dex can be really good. He had more pressures as a rookie than either of these guys had in a year prior to last year...

Get a good DE like hunter and dexter should beast

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Is Wilkins considered better than Madubuike?? I don't see it pushing him over $25M, but yes definitely out
He can ask for whatever he wants. But he's a comparable players to Madubuike so it's reasonable to think that he gets $23 mil per year, or more.

Canth

Liked Posts:
If the top three WR's are gone by #9, a DE would be the next choice.

Possibly.

My hope is that one of the top 3 WR are there, but I understand that may not happen.

IMO, if all 3 are gone, then I would rather look at what OL is sitting there at 9 or for a trade down to the next tier of 1st round WR while picking up more draft capital that you can use for depth in either the OL or DL on Day 2.

The defense is already in a decent place. It's time to really make some investments in the offense. Assuming you take Williams at 1.1 then please for the love of god give him the tools to be the first QB in Bears history to succeed in the modern era. The team has failed multiple QBs for decades, can we please try a real pivot to what seems to actually work - ie, give your QB both a good OL and good WRs at the same time?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lamar Jackson is dual threat. Fields has not come close to being a respected passing QB.

(I know I will catch a lot of flak for this... )

Lamar Jackson on the Bears doesn't get 2 MVPs... He gets traded before his rookie deal is up. (Better than Fields but still propped up by his defense)

What year are we on and the league still has the mindset that the Ravens offense isn't built to come from behind. That has a lot to do with Lamar.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Possibly.

My hope is that one of the top 3 WR are there, but I understand that may not happen.

IMO, if all 3 are gone, then I would rather look at what OL is sitting there at 9 or for a trade down to the next tier of 1st round WR while picking up more draft capital that you can use for depth in either the OL or DL on Day 2.

The defense is already in a decent place. It's time to really make some investments in the offense. Assuming you take Williams at 1.1 then please for the love of god give him the tools to be the first QB in Bears history to succeed in the modern era. The team has failed multiple QBs for decades, can we please try a real pivot to what seems to actually work - ie, give your QB both a good OL and good WRs at the same time?
This. most every team understands things except seemingly the Chicago Bears. They just love to pay homage to having a good defense, all else be damned.

The modern Bears have bought into the idea of QB importance, but think that the buck stops there and just getting the QB is good enough.

Reactions: DC

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
This. most every team understands things except seemingly the Chicago Bears. They just love to pay homage to having a good defense, all else be damned.

The modern Bears have bought into the idea of QB importance, but think that the buck stops there and just getting the QB is good enough.
However, Poles is still building his team. Being from the Chiefs’ organization, he knows the value of both.

Last season, the Chiefs would not have been champions without their incredible defense.

I doubt Poles is going to shortchange his hand picked QB.

All of the past regimes are not sitting on a board of directors at Halas Hall.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The WR position costs just as much in the modern NFL. I would focus there for #9 because we already have a decent defense after the addition of Sweat and there should be decent DL options in FA.

It's been 6 years since the Bears used a 1st round pick on a defensive player. And obviously the 1st pick of this draft is going to be offense. Last years 1st pick featured OL and trade for WR. Is it asking too much to use something on defense?

Also, last year the top receivers drafted were in later rounds. Time to get a rookie DE stud. I didn't say don't get a WR. Pick one up in FA and draft another later.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
With the money edge rushers are getting, I think the Bears need to go there with the #9 pick.
That could be what they do but with no 2nd round pick and no guarantee to end up with one with a Fields trade or a trade down then we'd have to look to free agency if we want anyone legit opposite DJ Moore, and the only two for sure #2/#1 types out there are C.Ridley and M.Brown. Then we'd have to go WR in the 3rd or 4th round.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
It's been 6 years since the Bears used a 1st round pick on a defensive player. And obviously the 1st pick of this draft is going to be offense. Last years 1st pick featured OL and trade for WR. Is it asking too much to use something on defense?

Also, last year the top receivers drafted were in later rounds. Time to get a rookie DE stud. I didn't say don't get a WR. Pick one up in FA and draft another later.
It’s not too much to ask for using a first round draft pick on defense, but you don’t draft defense just because “it’s been 6 years”. Where the Bears currently stand, a weapon for a rookie QB is more important than a DE. Things could easily change after FA though.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bears hosted Kevin Byard. I wouldn't be against this, with all the safeties on the market, he probably doesn't get a huge deal and he provides another veteran presence in a young secondary. Much more reliable and better than BoJack at this point.

Luke

Liked Posts:

except they wet D last year at 53, 56 and 64 as well having already spent their 2024 2nd round pick (40) on Sweat.