Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

AussieBear

2/25: The Bears are interested in re-signing Shea McClellin. They're going to let Zach Miller test the market. They're also presumably listening to trade offers for Martellus Bennett. - Dan Wiederer, Chicago Tribune

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/freeagency#6bEd4O5Jl5pi9rUq.99

idk y i dont care if the bears part ways with the black unicorn.. perhaps its all those easy drops during his time in chicago.. drops are fine, they happen.. but those jr high drops really bother me..

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Called the re-signing of Shea. Fangio and Pace want to see how he improves at his new position. Fangio likes him and I think he could grow into a solid #2 ILB.

Liked Posts:
Maybe Johnson is the priority.

God I hope so. IMO he's the perfect fit for what the Bears need at CB. Johnson & Fuller would make a solid CB tandem. This entire off season I've been hoping for the Bears to sign Johnson over any other FA. The kid is a physical freak for a CB, he's only 26, & I do believe that he's just getting started as a young player who had to develop behind Jenkins, from a raw 3rd round prospect, into a player who's improved every season. Because of the circumstances around Johnsons emergence into the league & his current situation ,I do think Johnson is one of the rare potential FA candidates that is young, already a good player, & may have more upside to his play.

I've been watching Johnson play when I can & when he's had to fill in for Jenkins as the top CB on the depth chart, I think he actually looked equal to Jenkins especially over the past 2 seasons. The thing for Johnson is he may be better off going elsewhere instead of being #2 under Jenkins on the D.C. with the Rams to cover flankers. I think Johnson would be the perfect antidote for the Jordy Nelsons & other top NFCN WR's of the division. I've noticed tat Johnson has the ability to make good receivers disappear in press coverage.

I think he'd be a good player right away at a vital position in the 3-4 defense, after 1 full season playing in it I think he'd become a beast CB on the outside. Personally I just think he's too talented to set down in St. Louis just to be viewed by many as the #2 guy when he clearly has all of the tools to be a dominant Press cover CB in a bigger market who can also run defend & tackle well also.

I really hope the Bears roll the dice on him.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
God I hope so. IMO he's the perfect fit for what the Bears need at CB. Johnson & Fuller would make a solid CB tandem. This entire off season I've been hoping for the Bears to sign Johnson over any other FA. The kid is a physical freak for a CB, he's only 26, & I do believe that he's just getting started as a young player who had to develop behind Jenkins, from a raw 3rd round prospect, into a player who's improved every season. Because of the circumstances around Johnsons emergence into the league & his current situation ,I do think Johnson is one of the rare potential FA candidates that is young, already a good player, & may have more upside to his play.

I've been watching Johnson play when I can & when he's had to fill in for Jenkins as the top CB on the depth chart, I think he actually looked equal to Jenkins especially over the past 2 seasons. The thing for Johnson is he may be better off going elsewhere instead of being #2 under Jenkins on the D.C. with the Rams to cover flankers. I think Johnson would be the perfect antidote for the Jordy Nelsons & other top NFCN WR's of the division. I've noticed tat Johnson has the ability to make good receivers disappear in press coverage.

I think he'd be a good player right away at a vital position in the 3-4 defense, after 1 full season playing in it I think he'd become a beast CB on the outside. Personally I just think he's too talented to set down in St. Louis just to be viewed by many as the #2 guy when he clearly has all of the tools to be a dominant Press cover CB in a bigger market who can also run defend & tackle well also.

I really hope the Bears roll the dice on him.

its safe to say neither jenkins or johnson are hitting the free agent market. the rams cut lauranitis, long and cook for a reason and thats to resign their top two corners...now the rams have as much cap space as the bears, little to no chance either one makes it out of LA.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
its safe to say neither jenkins or johnson are hitting the free agent market. the rams cut lauranitis, long and cook for a reason and thats to resign their top two corners...now the rams have as much cap space as the bears, little to no chance either one makes it out of LA.

^^This^^

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If Bennett and Miller are gone, obviously a draft pick will be used on a TE and which veteran do they sign?
Khari Lee did not show much with his opportunities and was seen as a project to begin with.

Cook, Fleener, Allen, Davis?

Bergz22

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Bennett and Miller are gone, obviously a draft pick will be used on a TE and which veteran do they sign?
Khari Lee did not show much with his opportunities and was seen as a project to begin with.

Cook, Fleener, Allen, Davis?

I don't know if the colts let fleener go, he is from Chicago though. I'd be okay with Allen. If miller and Bennett leave they are going to have to sign someone and draft someone.

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
If I had to choose between Fleener and Allen, I would take Fleener. Allen is hurt every year.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

It is not safe to say anything.

Since they can't tag both, all you have to do is win a bidding war and the player is yours. I highly doubt either of those guys will take a hometown discount.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You want some tea leave reading

-Jekins tweeted out that he was not happy at all with the low ball contract offer from the Rams

-The media is reporting that the Rams may transition tag Johnson, he seems to be the priority.

-A rumor comes out that Jenkins and Pernell McPhee are close friends, and high school team mates, and McPhee is recruiting Jenkins to Chicago.

-That tweet, from some random Chicago account, is then rewteeted by Janoris Jenkins.

Tea Leaves Baby

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Since they can't tag both, all you have to do is win a bidding war and the player is yours. I highly doubt either of those guys will take a hometown discount.

I agree if both want 12 million a season, or Byron Maxwell money, then can the Rams have 24 million invested in their CBs?

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

they can franchise tag one and transition tag the other...i dont see pace making a monumental offer to pry one of them away. according to pace he doesn't want to spend big money, 12 mill on a cb is a very big investment...i see pace going towards 2nd tier options like claiborne, boykins etc...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
they can franchise tag one and transition tag the other...i dont see pace making a monumental offer to pry one of them away.

That is 25 million invested in the CB position.

That is close to 50% of their entire cap room.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I like Jenkins a lot. Didn't he come from a shit background and overcome it just to make it to the NFL?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
You want some tea leave reading

-Jekins tweeted out that he was not happy at all with the low ball contract offer from the Rams

-The media is reporting that the Rams may transition tag Johnson, he seems to be the priority.

-A rumor comes out that Jenkins and Pernell McPhee are close friends, and high school team mates, and McPhee is recruiting Jenkins to Chicago.

-That tweet, from some random Chicago account, is then rewteeted by Janoris Jenkins.

Tea Leaves Baby

God I hope this is true...

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
That is 25 million invested in the CB position.

That is close to 50% of their entire cap room.

now that you mention jenkins and not being all that happy, i could also see them tagging jenkins this year and letting him walk next year and locking up johnson to a long term deal. They would use 50% of their cap this year but they really don't have any pressing signings they need to make.

my worry is the number of busts, signing top level CB's who fail to make the same impact with their new team...the only 2 players I can think of that have maintained their success is talib and revis if you dont count his buc's tour.

RisWell01

Liked Posts:
Jenkins is good but he aint 6 or more million better then what we have or can get. Rams have a better set up on defense Jenkins go team a team like Chicago he will get used and abused and every fan gonna complain about him every damn week.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
now that you mention jenkins and not being all that happy, i could also see them tagging jenkins this year and letting him walk next year and locking up johnson to a long term deal. They would use 50% of their cap this year but they really don't have any pressing signings they need to make.

my worry is the number of busts, signing top level CB's who fail to make the same impact with their new team...the only 2 players I can think of that have maintained their success is talib and revis if you dont count his buc's tour.

They do not bust anymore than any other position.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
They do not bust anymore than any other position.

which is why i would stay away from going for the BIG money signing and would add 2nd tier players while adding via draft. fangio has shown his defenses are more than capable with solid corners. The focus should be on the front seven and adding another safety.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
With the Ravens tagging Justin Tucker, Osemele can hit free agency if he chooses to.