Free Agency Rumors and Discussion

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
There's no way I'd want the Bears to pay 12m for Jenkins. I'd rather pay 12-14m for Malik Jackson and I don't want to do that. However Jackson will make the lives of Porter and Fuller in our secondary much easier.

My preferred option in this scenario would be to pay 9m a season for Jaye Howard (am thinking a Wolfe like contract may be acceptable). Then try and add Akeim Hicks to the pile as well. I'd not re-sign Jenkins in this instance and would let Sutton go as well. Doing that would cover Hicks as well. Back ups before the draft - Ferguson, Unrein and Gaston. We add one more hopefully in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft with Jaylon Smith being my pick in the first. William Jackson III and Adolphus Washington?

The running game of the opposition has just been 'SEEN THE FCUK OFF'. Goldman, Howard, Hicks, McPhee, Trevathan, Smith, Houston

Would this be cool with people?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There's no way I'd want the Bears to pay 12m for Jenkins. I'd rather pay 12-14m for Malik Jackson and I don't want to do that. However Jackson will make the lives of Porter and Fuller in our secondary much easier.

My preferred option in this scenario would be to pay 9m a season for Jaye Howard (am thinking a Wolfe like contract may be acceptable). Then try and add Akeim Hicks to the pile as well. I'd not re-sign Jenkins in this instance and would let Sutton go as well. Doing that would cover Hicks as well. Back ups before the draft - Ferguson, Unrein and Gaston. We add one more hopefully in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft with Jaylon Smith being my pick in the first. William Jackson III and Adolphus Washington?

The running game of the opposition has just been 'SEEN THE FCUK OFF'. Goldman, Howard, Hicks, McPhee, Trevathan, Smith, Houston

Would this be cool with people?

Paying big money in free agency on the DL in a draft that is the best DL draft in decades seems like a little bit of a mistake?

Bergz22

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Paying big money in free agency on the DL in a draft that is the best DL draft in decades seems like a little bit of a mistake?

Would rather not spend any FA money on DL with this draft the way it is. Could even double up picks on the D line.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:

I know what you're saying and you're probably right Windy but I guess it depends how happy you are picking up Robinson or Rankins etc. in the 1st if Buckner isn't available. Simply put I don't want them in the 1st if I am picking at 11. At 11 I'd only want Buckner. I'd rather go with someone like Alexander and pick up whichever DL man fell into the 2nd.

Put it this way. If Buckner isn't available (and recently any mock I've seen doesn't have him available) I'd take Jaylon Smith and William Jackson III in the first two rounds over any other realistic combo (I accept Jackson may now not fall into the 2nd but somebody has to :))

I mean wouldn't the following defensive unit excite you?

Goldman, Howard, Hicks,

McPhee, Trevathan, Smith, Houston

Amos, Bruton

Fuller, Jackson III, Porter (NB)

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Trevathan and Jenkins and then some smaller signings.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know what you're saying and you're probably right Windy but I guess it depends how happy you are picking up Robinson or Rankins etc. in the 1st if Buckner isn't available. Simply put I don't want them in the 1st if I am picking at 11. At 11 I'd only want Buckner. I'd rather go with someone like Alexander and pick up whichever DL man fell into the 2nd.

Put it this way. If Buckner isn't available (and recently any mock I've seen doesn't have him available) I'd take Jaylon Smith and William Jackson III in the first two rounds over any other realistic combo (I accept Jackson may now not fall into the 2nd but somebody has to :))

I mean wouldn't the following defensive unit excite you?

Goldman, Howard, Hicks,

McPhee, Trevathan, Smith, Houston

Amos, Bruton

Fuller, Jackson III, Porter (NB)

Bears fans need to start looking at Chris Jones and Vernon Butler. Both are starting to get top 20 buzz, and once the blue chip guys go there is a big crowd of guys who are all really the same value.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Bears fans need to start looking at Chris Jones and Vernon Butler. Both are starting to get top 20 buzz, and once the blue chip guys go there is a big crowd of guys who are all really the same value.

Which really means if there is a team that is hungry for a specific player and we have several that we like about the same moving back wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
they can franchise tag one and transition tag the other...i dont see pace making a monumental offer to pry one of them away. according to pace he doesn't want to spend big money, 12 mill on a cb is a very big investment...i see pace going towards 2nd tier options like claiborne, boykins etc...

Actually, they can't.

Section 3.
Transition Player Designations:
(a)
Each Club shall be permitted to designate one player who would otherwise be an Unrestricted Free Agent as a Transition Player in the Final League Year. In addition, in each League Year during the term of this Agreement, each Club shall be permitted to designate one player who would otherwise be an Unrestricted Free Agent or Restricted Free Agent as a Transition Player in lieu of designating a Franchise Player, if such Franchise Player designation is available to such Club, in addition to the Transition Player designation permitted by the immediately preceding sentence, during the same designation period as the Franchise
Player designation period. The period for Clubs to designate Transition Players will begin on the twenty-second day preceding the first day of the new League Year and will end at 4:00 p.m. New York time on the eighth day preceding the first day of the new League Year.

— By applying the transition tag, a team offers a player a salary that is the average of the top 10 salaries at his position. The player’s original team has the right of first refusal to match any offer given to a transition-tagged player by another team. If the original team decides to retain the player, it must agree to the contract terms offered by the other team. If the original team decides not to match the offer and the player leaves, it receives nothing in compensation. A team can use the transition tag only if it hasn’t used the franchise tag in a given offseason.

Reactions: 1ke

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I stand corrected, so who gets the franchise tag I guess is the question now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Mitchapalooza

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m1 minute ago
Redskins are tagging QB Kirk Cousins, per league source. Only decision left is whether team uses franchise or transition tag on him.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Let Jeffrey walk and us the money saved on not signing him to pick up Lamaar Miller (RB), Rishard Matthews (WR) and Jeff Allen (RG) in free agency and then hope Kevin White is the beast we all hope he is - any takers? These 3 together would likely cost a little more than Jeffrey but probably not much right? Maybe I am off base?

Or Rishard Matthews (WR) and Mitchell Schwartz (RT).

Clearly Kevin White needs to works out but.....

Good idea or absolutely terrible?

If we tag Jeffrey and trade him immediately does it impact our salary cap?

alexbear1

Liked Posts:

Does that mean you don't like the above starting defensive roster Windy that I put out? I thought it looked pretty damn reasonable.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Let Jeffrey walk and us the money saved on not signing him to pick up Lamaar Miller (RB), Rishard Matthews (WR) and Jeff Allen (RG) in free agency and then hope Kevin White is the beast we all hope he is - any takers? These 3 together would likely cost a little more than Jeffrey but probably not much right? Maybe I am off base?

Terrible. Get rid of a great player for two mediocre ones and a slightly good one doesn't make sense to me. Also why would we sign another RB?

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
He's a great player when he's actually on the field I agree. At 14.5m a year he needs to be a great player and he needs to play all the time. Will he? This is what worries me.

Overall at 12-14m I'd resign him I guess but .....

Lamaar Miller, Rishard Matthews and Jeff Allen or Rishard Matthews and Mitchell Schwartz would provide reasonable compensation in my opinion and especially if White is all he's cracked up to be.

I think Miller could be a beast and operate well as part of a 3 headed running back monster. He also has good hands for the passing game. Langford doesn't from what I've seen so far.

Rishard Matthews would be a solid no.2 WR.

Jeff Allen would help solidfy the OL. Of that I am sure.

Mitchell Schwartz if we went the other route is a top 10 RT.

I simply want to consider other options if Jeffrey thinks he should be the top paid WR in the league because the salary cap has gone up. If that's the case I don't want him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Does that mean you don't like the above starting defensive roster Windy that I put out? I thought it looked pretty damn reasonable.

The roster is solid.

But the back end is relying on a devastating knee injury and a 2nd round CB a lot.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Bring in Janoris Jenkins and Danny Trevathan day 1 and call it a day. Dumpster dive for value after that. If Pace really wants to spend add Howard to that day 1 mix.

freddylamar

Liked Posts:

Let Jeffrey walk? Really? Our best homegrown WR since....... forever. The number 4 player on NFL.Com top 99 free agents? To sign another running back (why wouldn't we keep Forte? He'd be cheaper and has been way more productive. ) Wow. Just wow.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Tashaun Gipson 25 years old Safety meet with Chicago.

[video=youtube_share;gg0Z27Ah8QY]https://youtu.be/gg0Z27Ah8QY[/video]

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Who gives a shit about Kap?

I really hope that the Broncos cannot get a deal done with Von Miller and have to tag him, Malik Jackson needs to hit the market, so Oakland can sign him and we can get Trevathan.

To tell you the truth i'm not sure if they signed M.Jackson it would stop them from going after Trevathon as well cause they have a ton of money and J.Del.Rio.