Free Agency Rumors and Signings [Entire NFL]

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Awwwwww i'm sorry you have reading problems but i CLEARLY said that i'm PRETTY SURE that we can get out of the contracts after one year and DEFINITELY AFTER TWO so next time just read a little slower and everything should work out fine for you. GEESH.:rolleyes:

You omitted the part where you said the multiyear deals could also be looked at as one year deals, you said it not me.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You don't, you can carry over a good bit and use it next year.

Yeah the rule is 89% on a team basis and 95% on a league basis over a 4 year period.

We just ended a 4 year period from 2013 to 2016 so we are year 1 of the next 4 year period. Another reason why Pace doesn't want to overpay for big ticket players. Any big overpay now is money that can't be rolled over and spent in future years when he probably expects us to be more competitive.

Why blow you wad on Gilmore when next year a more accomplished FA that you feel better about may end up being available? Gilmore isn't a slam dunk talent. He's had up and down years and could easily bust. To me I'd overpay for for a guy like Revis in his prime or an Antonio Brown ie a guy with multiple pro bowls and that is damn near a lot to not be a bust.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Bears missed on the top talent, that is a failure.

But what they have done since is ensure that they have depth, competition, and that they don't have to play any street bums like the previous 2 seasons.
Jesus Windy... They didn't miss. They tried. And in FA, that's all you can do. They were aggressive, they had top targets, they gave them fair and even inflated offers. With those fair and inflated offers, the players chose elsewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Pace said months ago when talking about free agency, that he feels the team needs to continue to gather depth. It's clear that Pace doesn't think this team is one or two high priced free agents away from competing. The Bears don't have a franchise QB. Glennon was brought in because he still has some potential, and if it works out, great, but it's obvious that he's not looked at as a franchise guy right now. So why spend top of the market cash on free agents right now? Especially secondary, which is loaded this draft. Even if the Bears signed, say, Gilmore, and whatever other safety, how close does that put the Bears to competing with the Patriots, Falcons, Steelers, etc? I like Pace's approach in free agency so far and his model of building through the draft. Would I have liked a Gilmore, Jefferson, Bouye, or other exciting free agent name? Sure...but I understand why Pace is passing and to be honest, it's the smart and disciplined move. One that may cause some fans to jump head first off a cliff, but those same fans are the ones who lauded Emery's spending in free agency.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pace said months ago when talking about free agency, that he feels the team needs to continue to gather depth. It's clear that Pace doesn't think this team is one or two high priced free agents away from competing. The Bears don't have a franchise QB. Glennon was brought in because he still has some potential, and if it works out, great, but it's obvious that he's not looked at as a franchise guy right now. So why spend top of the market cash on free agents right now? Especially secondary, which is loaded this draft. Even if the Bears signed, say, Gilmore, and whatever other safety, how close does that put the Bears to competing with the Patriots, Falcons, Steelers, etc? I like Pace's approach in free agency so far and his model of building through the draft. Would I have liked a Gilmore, Jefferson, Bouye, or other exciting free agent name? Sure...but I understand why Pace is passing and to be honest, it's the smart and disciplined move. One that may cause some fans to jump head first off a cliff, but those same fans are the ones who lauded Emery's spending in free agency.

I call it rearranging the deck chairs on a sinking ship. They added something decent in the secondary but wasted a lot of money on GLennon, lost their best wide receiver for an incredibly small amount of money. HIs "approach" stinks.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Jesus Windy... They didn't miss. They tried. And in FA, that's all you can do. They were aggressive, they had top targets, they gave them fair and even inflated offers. With those fair and inflated offers, the players chose elsewhere.

How can any logical person say they didn't miss? If you try something and don't succeed that means you fail, "miss" or whatever word you want to call it.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You say that now but Pace was trying to swing big with Gilmore and Bouye and missed. I have no problem Pace passing on Gilmore, I have a problem him identifying him as his #1 target and then get cold feet. Pace should be measured with spending because they are in the middle of a rebuild and the team will still be bad next year. But he is the one who identified Gilmore as a need, not us fans. And if his answer to missing out on his #1 target is overbidding for Bouye and losing and eventually grossly overpaying a veteran scrub in Prince then that is the sign of a weak GM who lacks conviction.

BTW, are you still advocating we sign Poe to a 5 year/55 mil contract :lmao:

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How can any logical person say they didn't miss? If you try something and don't succeed that means you fail, "miss" or whatever word you want to call it.
That's not how FA works though. How can you not see the human entity on the other end making decisions? Is this real?

Are you not grasping that? This isn't madden. You don't click A and he signs cuz you offered him the most or second most money.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's not how FA works though. How can you not see the human entity on the other end making decisions? Is this real?

Are you not grasping that? This isn't madden. You don't click A and he signs cuz you offered him the most or second most money.

I'm in sales. I deal with the human element every day. If I don't close a deal I still fail. Dealing with the human entity is just part of the equation. Quit making excuses for grown man.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Many GMs get derailed on overpaying for a free agency target.....it happens over and over and over again.....If a team is close and that player could be the missing link for a team go for it.....Patriots did it this year with Gilmore...

The Bears are not a missing link away. We didn't get the big name CB and we lost our best WR..........I don't have a problem with what Pace did at CB....also the draft is filled with potential at that position......

The big whiff has been at the WR position. It didn't happen overnight in free agency with AJ. It happened over the course of a couple years......

A missed out high pick in the draft and no replenishment from the FA side of it.

The Bears have potential in White and Meredith, but not top WR potential....They have no number 1 guy, and the Bears don't have a QB that doesn't need a top WR...

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

I was not happy the first day of free agency but I like how Pace has regrouped with these second tier signings and paying up front so the Bears are not strapped for money going forward (rebounded very well). Essentially we need to find a way to come away with more draft picks in a very strong draft class. There are some playmakers in this class that can help the Bears for many years.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm in sales. I deal with the human element every day. If I don't close a deal I still fail. Dealing with the human entity is just part of the equation. Quit making excuses for grown man.

I am in sales as well, but this isn't an all or nothing prospect....it is more like selling a client a lesser product instead of the "big deal". You didn't get the big sale, but you did get something and it is more than you had before.

Make no mistake about it, the Bears did get better at the CB position. But not playmaker better, that will have to come via trade or the draft.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I was not happy the first day of free agency but I like how Pace has regrouped with these second tier signings and paying up front so the Bears are not strapped for money going forward (rebounded very well). Essentially we need to find a way to come away with more draft picks in a very strong draft class. There are some playmakers in this class that can help the Bears for many years.

Pace does an excellent job with the second wave signings. No doubt about it. He has regrouped nicely. Going forward he needs to figure out how to reel in the big fish.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Congrats on your sales job. But I don't think it's the same as offering 40 million dollars guaranteed to a person and that still may not be enough.

I'll stop being rational about that grown man's job when your stop comparing your adventures at the water cooler to NFL free agency.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Pace does an excellent job with the second wave signings. No doubt about it. He has regrouped nicely. Going forward he needs to figure out how to reel in the big fish.

As Biggs reported, no big names want to come to a floundering franchise with no direction and lame duck coaches.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I still think this draft needs to be defense heavy.

At #3 I really want Solomon Thomas, if Garrett falls for the love of god take him. Then we need a CB, Safety, and interior D-linemen, those all need to be addressed. There will be some good CBs in the 2nd round without a doubt.

We have 3 picks in rounds 3 and 4 so we should probably go WR (Juju Smith Schuster if he's there would be nice), QB (Kaaya most likely), and then BPA at interior D-linemen/safety.

It's very important for us to take a defense that's almost there to the next level. Adding Thomas and a good CB in the second round would make our front 7 something to fear and will only help our secondary that Pace has already helped in free agency.

Doing this is what's going to win us games. We only put up 17 PPG last season and their were 5-6 games that could've very easily gone our way.

Glennon is a good enough QB that can win us games. We have a strong running game and a good o-line that'll help him out, I think he'll lead us to scoring 20-22 a game and that may be all we need.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Roy Miller is available....NT that can stuff runs.........I think he would help our run stopping need........you can have him in there and slide Goldman to DE.......

Goldman, Miller and Hicks as our front three

he was injured last year, but also had 4 sacks the year before as well.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still think this draft needs to be defense heavy.

At #3 I really want Solomon Thomas, if Garrett falls for the love of god take him. Then we need a CB, Safety, and interior D-linemen, those all need to be addressed. There will be some good CBs in the 2nd round without a doubt.

We have 3 picks in rounds 3 and 4 so we should probably go WR (Juju Smith Schuster if he's there), QB (Kaaya most likely), and then BPA at interior D-linemen/safety.

I agree with you here, especially that they apparently are punting on taking a QB at #3. I think they need to come out of the draft with a starting Safety, and CB at minimum. Would be nice to grab a pass rusher as well. I would not kill Pace if he drafted Solomon Thomas but I think he is a better fit in a 4 man front. You could move him around at any of the 4 positions and create a mismatch. A 3 man front would limit his versatility IMO. I could see San Fran drafting Thomas.

Jamal Adams makes a lot of sense for the Bears in round 1. I think Pace should entertain trade down offers if there are any. This team has many holes and the 2nd/3rd round will be rich with talent.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears have just set up a pre draft meeting with Jonathan Allen. So they are still considering him.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Roy Miller is available....NT that can stuff runs.........I think he would help our run stopping need........you can have him in there and slide Goldman to DE.......

Goldman, Miller and Hicks as our front three

he was injured last year, but also had 4 sacks the year before as well.

Would be worth a look. That is a lot of beef up front. If you had a guy who can occupy 2 blockers in the middle and Hicks and Goldman at the 5 techs there will be some free running LB's.

Hopefully Bullard can take a step forward this year, would be a huge plus if he could start beating a blocker every so often.