1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
We could handle that.

But odds are Ricketts WON'T raise payroll by 25 Million. It just won't happen.

He may increase it a bit, but not a quarter of 100 Million.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:

Never know as you would say

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Never know as you would say

It simply isn't realistic. That's all.

We have to stop going into fantasy land. There is no way we get Pujols, Johnson, and Ramirez.

Unless Soriano is somehow traded and we barely eat any of it, of course.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It simply isn't realistic. That's all.

We have to stop going into fantasy land. There is no way we get Pujols, Johnson, and Ramirez.

Unless Soriano is somehow traded and we barely eat any of it, of course.

Youve gotta figure.. Fuky, Pena, Silva off the books..

There's a shitload of flexibility right there.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Not enough to sign all the arb players, keep A-Ram, re-sign Fukudome, get Pujols, and get Johnson or Phillips. That's still raising the payroll by an absolute minimum of 25 Million.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, I don't care. I told you to go ahead, as it isn't a threat to me.

Depends on what you define as "good role players" too.

And what is the point of getting Pujols if you lose A-Ram? Whose going to protect Pujols so he doesn't get walked as much?

Granted, if we make a big trade summer, then fine. If we can get a big power hitter who can play 2B, then it makes more sense to me.

Why do you want Ramirez back so bad? His defense is pretty awful.

Don't give me that protection argument. That's bullshit. Let them walk Pujols. A walk is just as good as a hit.

Ummm... because about half of the money coming off the books is from A-Ram.

We have closer to 15 Million available after arbitration cases and everything if we bring A-Ram back. Pujols at 30 Million a year, and then Phillips or Johnson... that would require Ricketts to increase the payroll by about $25 Million.

We have like 50ish million coming off the books. I'm pretty sure that Ramirez isn't making 25 million this year. Or even close. So you need to go back and redo your math on that one.

15 million available after we bring Rami back and arby? Are you high? Unless you think we would pick up next year's option, in which case you definitely are high. There is no way we bring him back at 16 million. That's stupid.

What odds are these? What has he said/done to make you think that?

THANK YOU

Not enough to sign all the arb players, keep A-Ram, re-sign Fukudome, get Pujols, and get Johnson or Phillips. That's still raising the payroll by an absolute minimum of 25 Million.

How do you figure?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Why do you want Ramirez back so bad? His defense is pretty awful.

Don't give me that protection argument. That's bullshit. Let them walk Pujols. A walk is just as good as a hit.

We have like 50ish million coming off the books. I'm pretty sure that Ramirez isn't making 25 million this year. Or even close. So you need to go back and redo your math on that one.

15 million available after we bring Rami back and arby? Are you high? Unless you think we would pick up next year's option, in which case you definitely are high. There is no way we bring him back at 16 million. That's stupid.

What odds are these? What has he said/done to make you think that?

THANK YOU

How do you figure?

Wow, first we have 30 Million coming off, and now it is 50 Million? Hmmm...

Here is how I figure:
We have this coming off of the books:
Ramirez: 14.6 Million
Fukudome: 13.5 Million
Silva: 11.5 Million
Grabow: 4.8 Million
Samardzija: cot's doesn't have his full figures, so I'll take the 3 Million from last year for this
That adds up to: 47.4 Million. OK, so you were right there.

BUT:
5.5 Million of Silva's 2011 salary is payed by Seattle.

So we actually only have 41.9 Million coming off, so you were wrong about $50 Million.

THEN:
Silva is listed as someone who would be leaving in this, he has a $2 Million buyout. So we have 39.1 Million coming off.

He wanted Aramis back, which is what I included, so he gets his 16 Million club option picked up then.

We are down to 23.1 Million.

Then, we have arb cases. That usually figures around $10 Million, maybe more or less.

We are down to 13.1 Million. - Which is the 15 Mil I was referring to.

Then, he wants Pujols. Figure him in at $30 Million and we are over by 16.9 Million.

Then, he wanted Johnson or Phillips. Not sure how much they would get, but I used $8 Million as a base.

So now we are over by 24.9 Million.

So, it would be a $25 Million dollar payroll increase with NO other moves.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Oh, and that's before you take backloaded contracts into account.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow, first we have 30 Million coming off, and now it is 50 Million? Hmmm...

Here is how I figure:
We have this coming off of the books:
Ramirez: 14.6 Million
Fukudome: 13.5 Million
Silva: 11.5 Million
Grabow: 4.8 Million
Samardzija: cot's doesn't have his full figures, so I'll take the 3 Million from last year for this
That adds up to: 47.4 Million. OK, so you were right there.

BUT:
5.5 Million of Silva's 2011 salary is payed by Seattle.

So we actually only have 41.9 Million coming off, so you were wrong about $50 Million.

THEN:
Silva is listed as someone who would be leaving in this, he has a $2 Million buyout. So we have 39.1 Million coming off.

He wanted Aramis back, which is what I included, so he gets his 16 Million club option picked up then.

We are down to 23.1 Million.

Then, we have arb cases. That usually figures around $10 Million, maybe more or less.

We are down to 13.1 Million. - Which is the 15 Mil I was referring to.

Then, he wants Pujols. Figure him in at $30 Million and we are over by 16.9 Million.

Then, he wanted Johnson or Phillips. Not sure how much they would get, but I used $8 Million as a base.

So now we are over by 24.9 Million.

So, it would be a $25 Million dollar payroll increase with NO other moves.

Why would we pick up Ramirez's option when we could buy him out and resign him for a much cheaper price in FA?

Ramirez will have 12 1/2 coming off. Fuke 14 1/2. Sila 5 1/4. Grablow 5, Shark 3 1/2 That's 40 3/4, or 40.75 million. Then, get Rami back at like 8 million, puts us at 32.75. Arb cases are going to be a waste, because Geo and Garza will more than likely be getting extensions.

But, before Arby and all that, with Rami back, we have like 33 million. We can get Pujols, which puts us at 3 million and a decent 2B option, and get Wells' arby, and Geo and Garza's extensions done with about a 15 million increase. Not saying that the Ricketts' wouldn't go more, but they are business people. I seriously doubt the payroll is more than 150 next year.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Why would we pick up Ramirez's option when we could buy him out and resign him for a much cheaper price in FA?

Ramirez will have 12 1/2 coming off. Fuke 14 1/2. Sila 5 1/4. Grablow 5, Shark 3 1/2 That's 40 3/4, or 40.75 million. Then, get Rami back at like 8 million, puts us at 32.75. Arb cases are going to be a waste, because Geo and Garza will more than likely be getting extensions.

But, before Arby and all that, with Rami back, we have like 33 million. We can get Pujols, which puts us at 3 million and a decent 2B option, and get Wells' arby, and Geo and Garza's extensions done with about a 15 million increase. Not saying that the Ricketts' wouldn't go more, but they are business people. I seriously doubt the payroll is more than 150 next year.

Except I was also including Johnson/Phillips whom he wanted.

Your numbers are a little off too.

But would A-Ram come back if we didn't pick up the option? Again, that is a risk.

I didn't even include him wanting to bring Fukudome back either.

I also didn't take backloaded contracts like Marmol and Byrd into account in this.

Then we will probably be signing Wood again, I didn't take that into account either.

I doubt it is over 150 too, which is why I was explaining that we can't get Pujols, Johnson/Phillips, and A-Ram all in this off-season.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except I was also including Johnson/Phillips whom he wanted.

Your numbers are a little off too.

But would A-Ram come back if we didn't pick up the option? Again, that is a risk.

I didn't even include him wanting to bring Fukudome back either.

I also didn't take backloaded contracts like Marmol and Byrd into account in this.

Then we will probably be signing Wood again, I didn't take that into account either.

I doubt it is over 150 too, which is why I was explaining that we can't get Pujols, Johnson/Phillips, and A-Ram all in this off-season.

Hold the fuck on. Where did he say he wanted A-Ram and Johnson/Phillips. You're the one who brought up that nonsense.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Last edited by a moderator:

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
He said it in this thread or another (forget which). We were going back and forth between two threads kinda earlier.

He was talking about an infield of A-Ram, Castro, Johnson or Phillips, and Pujols.

EDIT: He said this during our debate:
Then why are you purely going on Pujols? I brought in Fielder and even said in another thread i would rather have fielder and johnson/phillips over pujols so please take a seat in the corner and STFU :smoke:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Then why are you purely going on Pujols? I brought in Fielder and even said in another thread i would rather have fielder and johnson/phillips over pujols so please take a seat in the corner and STFU :smoke:

K, then it is a 10 million dollar difference. Then I will add Fukudome because I forgot and you wanted him at $5 Million, Marmol's 2 Million dollar raise, and then Byrd's raise due to their backloaded contract.

Wow, we are back into the same exact spot.

A $25 Million increase, then we probably want Wood back, but he comes so cheap that it is pointless to add him.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
K, then it is a 10 million dollar difference. Then I will add Fukudome because I forgot and you wanted him at $5 Million, Marmol's 2 Million dollar raise, and then Byrd's raise due to their backloaded contract.

Wow, we are back into the same exact spot.

A $25 Million increase, then we probably want Wood back, but he comes so cheap that it is pointless to add him.

Whats laughable is the fact that you have the time on your hands to try to think all this out to try to prove me wrong.
1.) I said sign Fuku anywhere between 1-5 million dollars and i would be happy
2.) I said bring in Johnson or Phillips thats probably around 10 mil maybe not really sure
3.) I said i would rather fielder how much do you think he is getting
4.) When i said bring back Ramirez I didn't mean pick up the fucking option, do you try to find something yu can manipulate into a way you can make look dumb?
5.) Would you please stfu? Every post I make you have to answer to. I would like other peoples opinions instead of a whole page of your nonsense repeated over and over again in different ways :bigfinger:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Whats laughable is the fact that you have the time on your hands to try to think all this out to try to prove me wrong.
1.) I said sign Fuku anywhere between 1-5 million dollars and i would be happy
2.) I said bring in Johnson or Phillips thats probably around 10 mil maybe not really sure
3.) I said i would rather fielder how much do you think he is getting
4.) When i said bring back Ramirez I didn't mean pick up the fucking option, do you try to find something yu can manipulate into a way you can make look dumb?
5.) Would you please stfu? Every post I make you have to answer to. I would like other peoples opinions instead of a whole page of your nonsense repeated over and over again in different ways :bigfinger:

1.) OK? still 20 million over with backloaded contracts taken into consideration.
2.) 10 Mil? I had them at 8 Mil in my calculations, guess the number goes up higher.
3.) Fielder is looking for 20 million.
4.) That's not manipulating. You didn't specify. I took the contract he had then. After you buy him out for 2 Million, and then give him a new contract, you save about 6 Million then? And that's IF he returns.
5.) It's a forum. We were in a debate. This wasn't nonsense either. If you think my posts have no value, put me on the ignore list like you said you would. I haven't been repeating stuff in different ways. But you don't seem to get what everyone is making and how much we actually save and how much free agents will make.

Even with the changes you said. We are still about 18 Million dollars higher. He said there'd be flexibility, not a HUGE increase in payroll.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
1.) OK? still 20 million over with backloaded contracts taken into consideration.
2.) 10 Mil? I had them at 8 Mil in my calculations, guess the number goes up higher.
3.) Fielder is looking for 20 million.
4.) That's not manipulating. You didn't specify. I took the contract he had then. After you buy him out for 2 Million, and then give him a new contract, you save about 6 Million then? And that's IF he returns.
5.) It's a forum. We were in a debate. This wasn't nonsense either. If you think my posts have no value, put me on the ignore list like you said you would. I haven't been repeating stuff in different ways. But you don't seem to get what everyone is making and how much we actually save and how much free agents will make.

Even with the changes you said. We are still about 18 Million dollars higher. He said there'd be flexibility, not a HUGE increase in payroll.

I know how much most of them make dude. I may not be as up to par on options and everything like i used to be because I'm busy quiet often now and don't look it up as much but I know for the most part. I also know that if Ramirez is going to sign somewhere it should be here. I can't picture him somewhere else. Nobody else is gonna give him a lotta money. 8 mil or so is probably fair. and if he walks then move dewitt over to 3rd for a year and sign Phillips who has power and could bat clean up instead. resign Fukudome its not like were working against ourselves I doubt there will be many teams looking at him or even willing to pay him. trade Byrd or Soriano if you can. Sell high on Marlon if the right deal comes sell on Soriano for whatever you can. Save as much from that shitty contract as you can. Sign Garza and Soto to multi year deals. Let Grabow walk his ass out the door. Let shark walk. Resign Silva if he does decent for a couple mil to compete for starter and bp. Trade Colvin if you can't trade Soriano or Byrd. Gives Jackson a chance in the outfield and Fukudome can come in if he struggles. Sign Wells for multi year but not much should be offered. Wood makes peanuts so bring him back. Try to trade for a solid starter with some more specs if you can because I don't like our rotation to much. And finally rip down Wrigley and build a new stadium already. That's what I think management needs to do. The salary should be going up we have horendous contracts coming off the books. Why let the money sit around use it. Prove that the Cubs are trying to win and not save some cash when they can. This team is what 2nd or 3rd in Revenue in the whole league there is no reason why they can't raise the salary by "25" million as you say it would be. Ricketts needs to prove what kind of owner he is within these next couple of years. Either he is going to try to put together a good ballclub and sell a good product to the fans or he is going to sell a decent ball club that isn't going to win to the fans and disapoint for more years to come. Theres my debate for you goodsir

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I know how much most of them make dude. I may not be as up to par on options and everything like i used to be because I'm busy quiet often now and don't look it up as much but I know for the most part. I also know that if Ramirez is going to sign somewhere it should be here. I can't picture him somewhere else. Nobody else is gonna give him a lotta money. 8 mil or so is probably fair. and if he walks then move dewitt over to 3rd for a year and sign Phillips who has power and could bat clean up instead. resign Fukudome its not like were working against ourselves I doubt there will be many teams looking at him or even willing to pay him. trade Byrd or Soriano if you can. Sell high on Marlon if the right deal comes sell on Soriano for whatever you can. Save as much from that shitty contract as you can. Sign Garza and Soto to multi year deals. Let Grabow walk his ass out the door. Let shark walk. Resign Silva if he does decent for a couple mil to compete for starter and bp. Trade Colvin if you can't trade Soriano or Byrd. Gives Jackson a chance in the outfield and Fukudome can come in if he struggles. Sign Wells for multi year but not much should be offered. Wood makes peanuts so bring him back. Try to trade for a solid starter with some more specs if you can because I don't like our rotation to much. And finally rip down Wrigley and build a new stadium already. That's what I think management needs to do. The salary should be going up we have horendous contracts coming off the books. Why let the money sit around use it. Prove that the Cubs are trying to win and not save some cash when they can. This team is what 2nd or 3rd in Revenue in the whole league there is no reason why they can't raise the salary by "25" million as you say it would be. Ricketts needs to prove what kind of owner he is within these next couple of years. Either he is going to try to put together a good ballclub and sell a good product to the fans or he is going to sell a decent ball club that isn't going to win to the fans and disapoint for more years to come. Theres my debate for you goodsir

1 Thing... a reason they can't add too much to the payroll right now is because of the fields. They are building a new spring training stadium that includes several practice fields, getting ready for 2014 renovations on Wrigley, and a new Dominican academy that will be several fields as well, since they need practice fields and the Cubs have two DSL teams.

I have decided not to continue any salary argument BTW. We need to wait until after the Trade Deadline to see where we are at. Won't have an extra 25 Million by then, but maybe we acquire a good player for the long-term or something.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:

Kelly Johnson would be a bargain at 8MM based on his 2010 numbers. Pretty irrelevant to talk his projected pay.