Gardening

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
What's your elevation? Your pretty far south for frost this early?
We're a mile high.

Had a really cold snap for two days where with lows approaching freezing. Going to warm up the rest of the week so I should be good for a bit longer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
First post in this thread since 6-2014. Tomatoes on the deck in containers and the old garden became a place to grow pumpkins. Take your pumpkins from Halloween and throw them in the garden. Done. Be great next fall.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Pulled my cucumber, bean and melon beds. Replaced with stage 1 of the winter planting: spinach, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, and Napa cabbage. Much more to come.

Still pulling the last of summer tomatoes in, prob for another 2 weeks before I yank those out.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LMAO imagine worshiping a bunch of plants when you can literally just head over to "The Market" and get any beautiful, fresh produce you want.

Suck it Bozo, those fresh beautiful tomatoes you're buying at "The Market" have zero flavor compared to home grown.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I have to agree with Spunky about the tomatoes. Garden tomatoes are superior to the poverty tomatoes at the grocer. A lot of other plants are a waste of time IMO but tomatoes are definitely worth it if you actually know how to tomato.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I have to agree with Spunky about the tomatoes. Garden tomatoes are superior to the poverty tomatoes at the grocer. A lot of other plants are a waste of time IMO but tomatoes are definitely worth it if you actually know how to tomato.

Yes, Don't grow Cauliflower.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Suck it Bozo, those fresh beautiful tomatoes you're buying at "The Market" have zero flavor compared to home grown.

Farmer's Markets and food stands are where I get my 'matos usually if I buy them.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Gardening releases that pent up anger towards humanity.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Anyone have a good source for garden bed plans? I have a pretty heavily sloped backyard (no, I do not know the degree slope), but I'm just looking for something basic to plant 'matoes, beans, and the such.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Anyone have a good source for garden bed plans? I have a pretty heavily sloped backyard (no, I do not know the degree slope), but I'm just looking for something basic to plant 'matoes, beans, and the such.

My plan was just to sink posts 3 to 4 feet deep then deckscrew cedar boards up the sides.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Without knowing the slope I cant help u nich but I can tell u that u dont really grow beans out of bed. Just make a teepee out of some bamboo and let the beans grow up it, dumby.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

If you are going to put a bed in, make sure it's level. I have a slope thru my beds and since the beds are not level, I have a portion that floods.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Elevated garden beds will work just fine for the tomatoes.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

Just a random idea, may or may not work. Notch out spaces for pots on your hill and cut the bottom off of some 7 gallon black plastic pots. Put a pot in each notch you cut out and fill with potting soil then plant your tomatoes. I don't know how big your area is, but I would probably put a t post on the downhill side of each pot and run either some plastic netting or some fencing to hold your plants upright as they get heavy and most likely trend downhill. It will give you something to cultivate the plant through and keep it off the ground.

Without knowing a few things: How big the space is, how many plants you want to grow, and how steep/which direction the hill faces, it is hard to give specific thoughts.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's the middle of January, let's talk Gardening. What are you planting this year?
Here's where im at.
Sweet corn 2 types
Tomatoes 2 types
Green Beans
lettuce iceberg and romaine
Cucumbers
Bell Peppers
Bok Choy
Watermelons 2 types
Pumpkins 2 types
Cantaloupe
Going to start some of it in house in around end of March and in the ground May 17.
My frost free growing season is around 129 days.
Might invest in a seeder to pull behind my tractor for the sweet corn .
What you got going?
This will be my first time growing sweet corn.

Last edited:

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
It's the middle of January, let's talk Gardening. What are you planting this year?
Here's where im at.
Sweet corn 2 types
Tomatoes 2 types
Green Beans
lettuce iceberg and romaine
Cucumbers
Bell Peppers
Bok Choy
Watermelons 2 types
Pumpkins 2 types
Cantaloupe
Going to start some of it in house in around end of March and in the ground May 17.
My frost free growing season is around 129 days.
Might invest in a seeder to pull behind my tractor for the sweet corn .
What you got going?

This year we are going Pepper Crazy!

Did well with the four ghosts last year and the two Jalapenoes as well as a habanero.

This year I am doubling Habanero, Jalapeno, and keeping the same four ghost peppers. I will also add a couple of other peppers that I picked up from a buddy. I am not sure what they are called, but both of them are pretty looking and stupidly hot.

Tomatoes I will prolly stay around six plants and I will plan my garden box a little better this year. Had some things that overgrew other things last year and thats just not cool bro.

I will also do the early radishes basically everywhere. One of the best and fastest growing veggies.

Will do lettuce again and am curios to see if anything comes up on its own. I think we may get a few stragglers from last year as some seeded items were mulched onto the box.