Garoppolo to Bears.....eventually

DaGunslinger6

Liked Posts:
When watching the Patriots-Bears practices last week, we couldn’t help but think that the Bears make a logical landing spot for Jimmy Garoppolo if and when the Patriots decide to trade him (his contract runs out after 2017, so the Patriots would trade him next offseason or franchise tag and trade him in 2018, similar to what they did with Matt Cassel).

The 2016 season is probably the Bears’ last with Jay Cutler, as this is the final year of his contract that has guaranteed money. When the Bears need to find Cutler’s replacement, trading for Garoppolo — a Chicago native who spent three years learning under Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, and Josh McDaniels and will likely have four NFL starts under his belt — would look a lot more attractive than gambling on a rookie draft pick.

The Bears are no threat to the Patriots, tucked away in the opposite conference, and the Patriots wouldn’t have to worry about Garoppolo thwarting their Super Bowl hopes every year. As such, the Patriots and Bears already have consummated three trades since Ryan Pace was hired as Bears general manager in January of 2015, involving Martellus Bennett, Jon Bostic, and Ryan Groy.

And on top of all of that, Pace played football at Eastern Illinois a decade and a half before Garoppolo did.

So we’re pointing to the left-center bleachers and calling our shot now — Garoppolo to the Bears, eventually.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
So on the one hand, trading for Garoppolo would land us a better prospect than one we could draft in the foreseeable future. Unless the pricetag is for multiple first rounders, he is likely to be worth it.

On the other hand, these kinds of "articles" are baseless speculation by "professionals" that are not, and usually never have been, a part of a professional organization. This is a professional journalist getting paid to do the same damn thing that countless fans do on message boards like this one. I'd rather read one of our wackos talk up how Jimmy G would take this team to the playoffs than give clicks to a journalist doing effectively the same thing.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with didshereallysaythat above. How long does the writer of that article think Tom Brady is going to continue to QB in the league? 2 years... 4 years... 6 years... 16? He is at the end of it all. One good hit and he might not get up even now. How many more times can Tom tell Giselle, " Don't touch me, it hurts!"?

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
The Pats don't keep their #2 QBs around for long. If they determine that Garoppolo is their guy to replace Tom Brady....then he's not going anywhere. If they believe that Garoppolo is not their guy....and that they can do better with some other QB.....they will trade him at the top of his trade value...They value high draft picks more than keeping potential starters in house.......

Garoppolo reminds me of a young Harbaugh.....?!

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah, because the last trade the Bears made for a young promising QB has worked out so well.

It worked out better than the last high draft pick they spent on a QB. Does that mean they should never draft a QB either? Not sure what relevance any move in the past has to do with a potential move made in the future by a different GM, for a different player, in a different year.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nothing I've seen from JG screams upgrade over Cutler. If Belichick doesn't think he's the obvious heir to Brady by this point, and is willing to consider a trade, then why would the Bears want him? They'll give up more than he's worth, guaranteed. Just draft someone FFS. Is there some organizational aversion to drafting QBs?
Just about every other team seems to manage it, but we're afraid to even try.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see the Bears draft a QB again. I did that thing a fan does and went back and looked at who has been the QB in the years I have followed the Bears with a more than serious interest ...

[enter WTF .gif here]

Be nice to see a GM & Coaching staff try and develop and build an O around a hand picked QB.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
They have the cap space to sign Garoppolo to whatever inflated deal the market demands. Why would they let him go? Tom under contract until 2019, but the chances of him playing that out is probably little.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/tom-brady/

Garoppolo is a free agent in 2018 where they are set to have a ton of cap space

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/2018/

Even if Tom for some reason decided to play out his contract I think they would pay for the world's most expensive backup for 2 years if they really believe he is the heir apparent to the Tom Brady.

Media pls stop... Bears need to find a guy they like and mold him to their liking.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
When watching the Patriots-Bears practices last week, we couldn’t help but think that the Bears make a logical landing spot for Jimmy Garoppolo if and when the Patriots decide to trade him (his contract runs out after 2017, so the Patriots would trade him next offseason or franchise tag and trade him in 2018, similar to what they did with Matt Cassel).

The 2016 season is probably the Bears’ last with Jay Cutler, as this is the final year of his contract that has guaranteed money. When the Bears need to find Cutler’s replacement, trading for Garoppolo — a Chicago native who spent three years learning under Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, and Josh McDaniels and will likely have four NFL starts under his belt — would look a lot more attractive than gambling on a rookie draft pick.

The Bears are no threat to the Patriots, tucked away in the opposite conference, and the Patriots wouldn’t have to worry about Garoppolo thwarting their Super Bowl hopes every year. As such, the Patriots and Bears already have consummated three trades since Ryan Pace was hired as Bears general manager in January of 2015, involving Martellus Bennett, Jon Bostic, and Ryan Groy.

And on top of all of that, Pace played football at Eastern Illinois a decade and a half before Garoppolo did.

So we’re pointing to the left-center bleachers and calling our shot now — Garoppolo to the Bears, eventually.

If this kid has any chance of being a starting/franchise QB in the NFL then why wouldn't the Pats just keep him to take over for Brady who can't be counted on for more than 2 maybe 3 more years???

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
So the Pats draft and groom Jimmy G. to eventually succeed the aging Brady, but then decide to trade him to the Bears because he's a hometown boy.

Right.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Lol!

What none of you fools are seeing the Patriots are going to be in a predicament. Garopollo has 1 year left on rookie deal so is Brady going to play past the 2017 season? If so, the pats risk losing Jimmy in free agency for nothing when you can trade him with 1 year left on his rookie contract and cash in. The likelihood of Jimmy accepting a contract from Pats with Brady still playing is unlikely. And the pats franchising him is also unlikely.

Should have just drafted him in the 2nd round instead of Ego Ferguson like I fucking said bitches.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol!

What none of you fools are seeing the Patriots are going to be in a predicament. Garopollo has 1 year left on rookie deal so is Brady going to play past the 2017 season? If so, the pats risk losing Jimmy in free agency for nothing when you can trade him with 1 year left on his rookie contract and cash in. The likelihood of Jimmy accepting a contract from Pats with Brady still playing is unlikely. And the pats franchising him is also unlikely.

Should have just drafted him in the 2nd round instead of Ego Ferguson like I fucking said bitches.

Bears could have drafted A. Rodgers too ...bitch :-v

nobull

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol!

They will franchise tag him before letting him walk in that case.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Lol!

He's under contract till 2018, Brady is under contract till 2019.

If he bitches about not starting franchise tag, if he bitches the following year, franchise tag again. Brady gone after 2019, he still gets a massive deal on a slim body of work and the reigns to the Patriots franchise, everyone wins. I don't see why he would be in a rush to leave arguably the coziest QB situation in the league and a system that he's been baptized in for getting fucked up behind some garbage O-line like ours.

Regardless I see Tom riding out into the sunset and passing the torch on his own more likely than him playing until he's 42 years old.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Lol!

You're acting like the Pats can't get rid of Brady and give JG the reigns. If the 49ers, Packers, & Colts can cut Montana, Favre, & Manning loose, the Pats can get rid of Brady. That is, if they actually feel Garopollo is the heir apparent.