Garza To Rangers -- Olt, Edwards, Grimm to Chi (Post 607)

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Sorry that makes no sense. Montreal had arguably one of the best farm systems ever. But they could never afford to keep proven talent and always flipped for other teams prospects. Are we in that same boat now?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry that makes no sense. Montreal had arguably one of the best farm systems ever. But they could never afford to keep proven talent and always flipped for other teams prospects. Are we in that same boat now?

It would be accurate if this team didn't resign any players ever. This team has, to much hand-wringing by some, given rather large extensions to two players on the current roster.

Last edited:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
This team has, to much hand-wringing by some, has offered to rather large extensions to two players on the current roster.

That are hitting a combined .239 that is seen as quality production by some.*

* = 100% baseball related content

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It would be accurate if this team didn't resign any players ever. This team has, to much hand-wringing by some, given rather large extensions to two players on the current roster.

As KB stated. But on top of that they have filled in a roster of hand me downs and bargain bin players with the goal of trading them. No one in their right mind ever felt that this team had a chance this year. They have made that fact painfully obvious. Fact that they haven't signed Bryant after most of the first round has signed and they already inked the rest of their draft has got me concerned. But I digress. The main point is the right way of building a team is to have a foundation of proven vets. Then draft and develop. If said prospect can hang and give some cash relief. Then trade out the vet for some prospects. So what they should have done is first build the major league team into a winner then draft and let the system develop naturally. What they did was trash the major league roster. Then signed what players they want to retain on ownership friendly deals to keep from under potential Arb escalation. So signing 2 guys is not much and they are not protecting them in the line up do they can develop as players.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Neither of those post address the point which is that the Cubs aren't just flipping every player on the roster. Are they going to trade veterans to make the present day roster worse? Yes, but I was responding to a poster claiming that the Cubs are going to be the Expos and trade away any players they develop. They locked up two of those guys, and I specifically added the cavaet that some didn't like that fact. But how productive they are really doesn't address the issue at hand.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Neither of those post address the point which is that the Cubs aren't just flipping every player on the roster. Are they going to trade veterans to make the present day roster worse? Yes, but I was responding to a poster claiming that the Cubs are going to be the Expos and trade away any players they develop. They locked up two of those guys, and I specifically added the cavaet that some didn't like that fact. But how productive they are really doesn't address the issue at hand.

I'm talking about keeping quality players (Garza) that can help the Cubs now and in the near future....not trading them for prospects that may pan out someday. There has to be a point in time where you actually care about the major league club.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm talking about keeping quality players (Garza) that can help the Cubs now and in the near future....not trading them for prospects that may pan out someday. There has to be a point in time where you actually care about the major league club.

im surprised we havent heard anything about extension talks as we are only a week away from July.
we may assume the cubs just dont want to extend garza, but we cant leave out that garza just may want to test the FA market

so, like i mentioned above.. cubs have to decide by the deadline if what they can get in return via trade is worth more then offering ARB and getting a 30 somtn draft pick.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
But how productive they are really doesn't address the issue at hand.

Got it. Doesn't matter how badly the players are underperforming, as long as they are signed to long term deals. That seems like a great way to build a team.*

* = 100% baseball related content

CSF77

Liked Posts:

What they did was sign Castro last year for control on a ownership friendly deal. Then they tried the same with Shark and said no. Read between the lines. He knows he could make more then he was offered. Then the jumped at Rizzo and went all in. Again early because they did not want to get into Arb with him. Watch Wood will be next. Regarding Garza he will be commanding some cash and seeing how this is playing out the Ricketts don't seem to want to pay. Now this IS about timing. Right now if they extend Garza it will not equate more ticket sales. Dumping him and saving a few mil then getting some suspect talent in return makes more cents. Then doing what they did with Jackson in the off season. Now what happens durring the off season? Season tickets go on sale and signing F/A generates hype that leads to more sales with the drones. Follow the money and things start to make cents.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
im surprised we havent heard anything about extension talks as we are only a week away from July.
we may assume the cubs just dont want to extend garza, but we cant leave out that garza just may want to test the FA market

so, like i mentioned above.. cubs have to decide by the deadline if what they can get in return via trade is worth more then offering ARB and getting a 30 somtn draft pick.

If they trade Garza by the end of June they defer 1/2 of his contract onto another team. Again follow the money and you understand why they do things the way they do them.

Scott Feldman is costing the Cubs 1 mil per month. They will wait to get the best return. Garza would be a 5 mil savings if they trade him early. 3.42 mil if they wait til the dead line.

Looking at Castro's deal:
13:$5M, 14:$5M, 15:$6M, 16:$7M, 17:$9M, 18:$10M, 19:$11M, 20:$16M club option
Baez A+ Baez AA Baez AAA Baez Rookie can trade out Castro before it gets too expensive.

Rizzo
13:$0.75M, 14:$1.25M, 15:$5M, 16:$5M, 17:$7M, 18:$7M, 19:$11M, 20:$14.5M club option (or $2M buyout due 1/15/20), 21:$14.5M club option (or $2M buyout due 1/15/21)

Vogelbach
13 A 14 A+ 15 AA 16 AAA 17 Rookie right when it starts to escalate....

Those deals were set up that way for a reason. they have a opt out.

Expect the future to be along these lines.

Ownership is going to run at low cost.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Nice to know that a players entire value can be based upon 1 statistic: Batting Average.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
If they trade Garza by the end of June they defer 1/2 of his contract onto another team. Again follow the money and you understand why they do things the way they do them.

Scott Feldman is costing the Cubs 1 mil per month. They will wait to get the best return. Garza would be a 5 mil savings if they trade him early. 3.42 mil if they wait til the dead line.

Looking at Castro's deal:
13:$5M, 14:$5M, 15:$6M, 16:$7M, 17:$9M, 18:$10M, 19:$11M, 20:$16M club option
Baez A+ Baez AA Baez AAA Baez Rookie can trade out Castro before it gets too expensive.

Rizzo
13:$0.75M, 14:$1.25M, 15:$5M, 16:$5M, 17:$7M, 18:$7M, 19:$11M, 20:$14.5M club option (or $2M buyout due 1/15/20), 21:$14.5M club option (or $2M buyout due 1/15/21)

Vogelbach
13 A 14 A+ 15 AA 16 AAA 17 Rookie right when it starts to escalate....

Those deals were set up that way for a reason. they have a opt out.

Expect the future to be along these lines.

Ownership is going to run at low cost.

Or, the Cubs could utilize Baez at 3B or 2B or SS and move Castro to 2B. The Cubs could use Baez to trade for a more expensive player, like David Price. Same can be said of Vogelbach.

The Cubs are trying to get the stadium renovation completed to increase their revenues to increase the money available to spend on the major league team. If/when the stadium in renovated, the payroll will increase. Until then, payroll will remain in the 100-110M range. That said, the Cubs current payroll before arbitration for 2014 is 56M. That gives the Cubs around 50M to spend this offseason on Shark, Wood, Russell & Scheirholtz (if they are still on the team) and free agents/extensions.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Or, the Cubs could utilize Baez at 3B or 2B or SS and move Castro to 2B. The Cubs could use Baez to trade for a more expensive player, like David Price. Same can be said of Vogelbach.

The Cubs are trying to get the stadium renovation completed to increase their revenues to increase the money available to spend on the major league team. If/when the stadium in renovated, the payroll will increase. Until then, payroll will remain in the 100-110M range. That said, the Cubs current payroll before arbitration for 2014 is 56M. That gives the Cubs around 50M to spend this offseason on Shark, Wood, Russell & Scheirholtz (if they are still on the team) and free agents/extensions.

Or in a nutshell, expect more of the same baseball play next year. :clap:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Most of the farm players who could possibly be future long-term MLBers won't be up until second half of 2014, so that seems to make some sense anyway...meaning that 2014 will look familiar to 2013, except that September 2014 finally sees some of that young talent showing up at Wrigley.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Most of the farm players who could possibly be future long-term MLBers won't be up until second half of 2014, so that seems to make some sense anyway...meaning that 2014 will look familiar to 2013, except that September 2014 finally sees some of that young talent showing up at Wrigley.

In the form of who considering the talent is in (A) ball?

Just because Puig made monumental strides doesn't mean that Baez and Soler will do the same. Theo is also known for taking the slow approach with young guys.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Just because Puig made monumental strides doesn't mean that Baez and Soler will do the same. Theo is also known for taking the slow approach with young guys.
Ellsbury July 05 MiLB debut, late June 07 MLB debut. Of course that was due to an injury to Crisp, but that's not a slow approach.

Willrust

Liked Posts:

Arismendy Alcantara, Christian Villanueva, Junior Lake, Logan Watkins & Matt Szczur could provide some positional help to the Cubs early in 2014. While Kyle Hendricks, Chris Rusin, Barrett Loux, Eduardo Sanchez, Zack Putnam, Alberto Cabrera, Zach Rosscup & Yoanner Negrin could provide something to the Cubs rotation or pen in 2014.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Ellsbury July 05 MiLB debut, late June 07 MLB debut. Of course that was due to an injury to Crisp, but that's not a slow approach.

Anthony Rizzo's slow approach is more telling to me. They don't want to start the clock on any of these kids unless they are nothing short of spectacular, and they would have to vault through the minors from here on out to even sniff playing time in 2014.

The end of 2015 is probably more accurate, and that is even a stretch.

The start of 2016 is probably the time line.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I didn't say they were coming up permanently. I stated we would start to see "some" in Sept 2014. That isn't a stretch in the least. You also singled out "A" ball. I didn't. ;)

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Doubtful at this point.

Lets see: Year 1: Swap short term for long term. Then pulled a Cash for Rizzo swap (Theo and Jed didn't agree on this deal btw Theo did not want to give up a power arm)

Off season signed Jackson to boost up season tickets after failing to get Sanchez. Didn't work out well.

Signed a bunch of short term flips with it.

So on the major league team I have see nothing to make me believe they are building up a major league team va trade or F/A. If anything they are making a major league meant to lose so they can sell high on the short term contracts.

Face it they are going to run cheap long term. When Baez is ready Castro should net 3 low level prospects. I doubt there is another answer going on here. They can just develop a cheaper answer for 2B or use another short term flip. VS spending 10 mil plus per year on Castro to play off position.

Same with Rizzo. When the price goes up expect Vogelbach tp be the guy to give cash relief.

That I bet is the the plan. To be the Oak A's and to reap in more profit.