Garza To Rangers -- Olt, Edwards, Grimm to Chi (Post 607)

patg006

Liked Posts:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
A collective groan comes from the office of Tom Ricketts.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just read it.

I think its genuine. I think the cubs aren't getting the desired returns in offers.

Could be a smokescreen in light of not getting wanted returns, but I still believe teams will stonewall them regardless.

Question is if teams don't ante up do the Cubs pony up to keep him. I am not certain and we have heard no numbers from either side on what an extension would look like so it is hard to tell for certain what the hold up on the deal is.

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could be legit if they're willing to make him a serious offer. Otherwise, what incentive does he have not to wait for FA?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs, Garza Talking Extension
By Tim Dierkes [July 8 at 3:15pm CST]
3:15pm: Garza and the Cubs are not close on his value, reports Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, and a trade is still the likeliest outcome.

1:30pm: For the first time in more than a year, the Cubs are having discussions with Matt Garza about a long-term extension, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. A trade remains possible for the 29-year-old, who is perhaps the best available starter. A similar report comes from Jesse Rogers of ESPNChicago.com, whose source says the sides haven't had serious discussions about a long-term deal but haven't ruled it out. The reports from Heyman and Rogers came within minutes of each other, though Heyman mentioned it first on MLB Network.

Garza has made nine starts this season since returning from a stress reaction in his elbow and a lat strain. The injuries ended his season last year on July 21st. This year, Garza has a 3.45 ERA, 8.2 K/9, 2.8 BB/9, 1.10 HR/9, and 37.8% groundball rate in 57 1/3 innings. He's allowed three earned runs in his last 30 innings. Garza takes on the White Sox tonight at U.S. Cellular Field.

Garza's value is difficult to peg, given his history of durability followed by the long layoff. Last offseason five starting pitchers received deals of three or more years, most of whom did not have draft pick compensation attached. A salary in the $13-15MM range seems appropriate for Garza, but from a team point of view it would be difficult to guarantee more than three years.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What would be fair: 2014: 13 mil, 2015 14 mil, 2016 15 mil. 2017 Mutual option 18 mil, 2018 mutual option 18 mil.

So if they can then extend Shark and Wood they would have the 1-4 set for a few years and can use the #5 spot with in house developed pitchers. If the in house stick and a new fresh arm is ready they can trade out a pricier arm to open a spot.

Over all this would be better then buying one year rentals or pushing out 2-3 untested starters at the same time.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
What would be fair: 2014: 13 mil, 2015 14 mil, 2016 15 mil. 2017 Mutual option 18 mil, 2018 mutual option 18 mil.

So if they can then extend Shark and Wood they would have the 1-4 set for a few years and can use the #5 spot with in house developed pitchers. If the in house stick and a new fresh arm is ready they can trade out a pricier arm to open a spot.

Over all this would be better then buying one year rentals or pushing out 2-3 untested starters at the same time.
I think the Cubs would have done the extension yesterday if it was on the table. I really doubt that Garza settles for a guaranteed three year extension. But if the Cubs could have him at 3 year 45 million and maxed out deal of 5 years 71 million they would be stupid to turn it down.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Witenmyer:
No teeth to reported extension talks w/ garza. Covering-bases conversation went nowhere. He'll be traded.

This seems to be the tone of all the Chicago reporters on the rumor.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Said it would be a fair offer. If he wanted north of 100 mil then ya expect a trade.

He is a 61-62 career pitcher. Most wins 15 on TB on 2010.

He could become 2nd half of his career stud but going into 29 with less than 100 wins and a .500 record is really not what I would call 100 mil justification.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Witenmyer:

This seems to be the tone of all the Chicago reporters on the rumor.

I think the rumors are just to help teams that may be posturing and offering the Cubs little for Garza. With Nolasco off to Los Angeles, Garza is head and shoulders above any other starter who may be available. They'd be wise to let him get another start or two before truly trying to unload him. If another contender were to suffer an injury between now and the deadline, Garza could be their best option in order to remain competitive.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Said it would be a fair offer. If he wanted north of 100 mil then ya expect a trade.

He is a 61-62 career pitcher. Most wins 15 on TB on 2010.

He could become 2nd half of his career stud but going into 29 with less than 100 wins and a .500 record is really not what I would call 100 mil justification.
I don't see Garza taking less than what Anibal Sanchez got last year which would basically mean 5 years 100 million.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If they signed Garza to an extension, they would almost have to spend some decent money of FA this Winter to make this team competitive. Otherwise, paying big money on an extension wouldn't make sense, would it?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I don't see Garza taking less than what Anibal Sanchez got last year which would basically mean 5 years 100 million.

If the Cubs indeed try and extend Garza, they will probably be more apt to go 4 yrs 60 million or just let him walk due to his recent arm problems, unless of course, he is traded which I think this is all a smokescreen anyway to up his value.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs indeed try and extend Garza, they will probably be more apt to go 4 yrs 60 million or just let him walk due to his recent arm problems, unless of course, he is traded which I think this is all a smokescreen anyway to up his value.

Again I am mostly talking about what Garza would take to stay, and I think it is well north of any of the figures that have been suggested in this thread.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I also believe he will want 100 mil to extend. That would break down at 2014: 12 mil, 2015: 14. Mil, 2016: 16 mil, 2017: 18 mil, 2018: 20 mil, 2019: 20 mil. I do not see the Cubs going 6 years here. Might be wrong but I'm on the side of the reporters that believe he will be traded.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
dodgers and indians scouts at game tonight watching garza.. i think he gone before his next start, just wondering if he gets to take navarro with him

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
dodgers and indians scouts at game tonight watching garza.. i think he gone before his next start, just wondering if he gets to take navarro with him

Lindor and Bauer for Garza -- DO IT NOW.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Again I am mostly talking about what Garza would take to stay, and I think it is well north of any of the figures that have been suggested in this thread.

North of any figure? Cubs are rebuilding and they want starters that they have control over. From the minors or stop gap flippers. May take a while but it's only time, seasons.

It's all worth the wait, right?

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure that negotiating an extension really inflates his trade value that much. If he wants more than the Cubs can reasonably offer then any contender knows they are only renting him for a year and he will demand too much to re-sign. Why give up a good prospect for that?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Why give up a good prospect for that?

If a team feels he can make a difference in helping win a world series ( not just make playoffs ), they tend to give up a little more to get such player.

garza could really solidify a playoff rotation.. dodgers would be deep and solid if they added garza with Ryu, greinke, kershaw, and nolasco