Garza To Rangers -- Olt, Edwards, Grimm to Chi (Post 607)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
North of any figure? Cubs are rebuilding and they want starters that they have control over. From the minors or stop gap flippers. May take a while but it's only time, seasons.

It's all worth the wait, right?

Baseball operations has a finite amount of money. You can argue whether that number is artificially low from ownership or not, but that doesn't change that baseball operations has a limited amount of money. What is Garza worth? Because all the figures in this thread I think are well below what Garza wants now to stay or is likely to get in free agency.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Matt Garza Rumors: Tuesday

By Tim Dierkes [July 9 at 7:49am CST]

Righty Matt Garza may have put the finishing touch on his Cubs career last night by allowing one run in seven innings in a win against the White Sox. The latest on the best available starter:
•Garza's start was scouted by the Rangers, Indians, Pirates, Blue Jays, and Padres, writes Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Those aren't necessarily suitors for Garza this month, however. Morosi says the Rangers and Indians are "known to have strong interest," while the Red Sox, Nationals, and Dodgers can't be ruled out. Morosi believes Garza probably wants to be paid like Anibal Sanchez on his next contract, which would mean a five-year, $80MM deal. The difference is that Sanchez was coming off three consecutive healthy seasons.
•Though Garza told reporters last night the possibility of a contract extension is 50-50, few believe it's actually a coin flip. Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times explains, "Team sources, however, characterize the recent, brief talks as confirmation that the sides aren’t much, if any, closer than they were more than a year ago when they first engaged in talks with little progress." Garza suggested it would be "one hell of a party" to win with the Cubs, and Wittenmyer does note that team is leaving open the possibility of trading Garza now and talking to him again in the offseason

Wouldn't that be interesting to trade him off and get the prospects, then re-sign him to a healthy contract. I know the odds are astronomical, but that actually would be sweet.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Posters keep saying that Matt Garza wants more money than what the Cubs would offer. Did the Cubs even offer him an extension???

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Posters keep saying that Matt Garza wants more money than what the Cubs would offer. Did the Cubs even offer him an extension???

A formal offer? I don't think that has ever been reported, but the Cubs and Garza have been talking. If they are really that far apart there probably is no point in making an offer.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

The Cubs have to know what his demands are roughly. To hear that they are far apart means to me that both sides know, and one side has to be willing to give more.

I would hate to see Sharks reaction if/when they don't extend him. Sure it's business, but players want to play on winning teams or at least have a realistic shot at winning.

If they do let Garza go, they had better damn sure pick up some viable free agents in the off-season or this whole team might want to jump ship other than Castro, who would probably sleep right through it. :popcorn:

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have to know what his demands are roughly. To hear that they are far apart means to me that both sides know, and one side has to be willing to give more.

I would hate to see Sharks reaction if/when they don't extend him. Sure it's business, but players want to play on winning teams or at least have a realistic shot at winning.

If they do let Garza go, they had better damn sure pick up some viable free agents in the off-season or this whole team might want to jump ship other than Castro, who would probably sleep right through it. :popcorn:

They better pick up some good free agents if the let him walk. just like if they trade him, they better get something good in return.

He is a good pitcher and it seems like he is extremely under appreciated.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Garza is looking for a 5 year contract for about 80-90 million would be my guess. From reports, the Cubs only want to offer him 3 to 4 years tops. They were willing to throw money at Sanchez and years but not Garza.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Garza is looking for a 5 year contract for about 80-90 million would be my guess. From reports, the Cubs only want to offer him 3 to 4 years tops. They were willing to throw money at Sanchez and years but not Garza.

Health reasons. Sanchez came into his F/A with 3 years of clean health. Garza lost 4-5 months with 2 injuries. There is reason to hesitate.

That being said he could pull back a big return.

With Baez in AA now we got to figure at best S/T 2015.

At that point they would have Shark, Wood and Jackson under control. If Shark steps up to become an Ace I'd offer him the big contract. Wood repeats same thing. Those 2 could become the back bone of the rotation. At that point it is just filling in the back half with either what ever comes up worth their salt, if not then spend on a arm until one develops.

Allot of this is about timing. Right now this team is a wreck. Next year with or with out Garza it will still be a wreck.

Because they are not willing to spend big $ to fix it.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
There has been no solid reports even of what Garza is even looking for.

Yet people are already apologizing for the Cubs not extending him with the excuse that it is more than the Cubs will be willing to spend.

If the Cubs are not willing to spend on a pitcher like Matt Garza, then it is really hard to believe that the team is truly committed to winning.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Yet people are already apologizing for the Cubs not extending him with the excuse that it is more than the Cubs will be willing to spend.

If the Cubs are not willing to spend on a pitcher like Matt Garza, then it is really hard to believe that the team is truly committed to winning.
At this point in time that appears to be very true.

achap39

Liked Posts:
Health reasons. Sanchez came into his F/A with 3 years of clean health. Garza lost 4-5 months with 2 injuries. There is reason to hesitate.

At that point they would have Shark, Wood and Jackson under control. If Shark steps up to become an Ace I'd offer him the big contract. Wood repeats same thing. Those 2 could become the back bone of the rotation. At that point it is just filling in the back half with either what ever comes up worth their salt, if not then spend on a arm until one develops.

Allot of this is about timing. Right now this team is a wreck. Next year with or with out Garza it will still be a wreck.

And who exactly would they have spent 'big money' on it for an immediate fix? Josh Hamilton? CJ Wilson? This was a horribly weak FA class going into the 2013 season as it was- the 'big money' names have underperformed this year. I'd rather be patient and actually develop homegrown talent rather than keeping going down the Hendry road of big money deals that fall flat on their face (Z, Soriano, Bradley, Fukudome, et al).

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

First time Garza has had any issue in his career. He has come back from it and his velocity is the exact same. 5 years is not something to be hesitant on in my opinion. Now, you go more than 5 or he wants over a 100 million then I pump the brakes.

A lot of reports are saying Garza is looking for a Sanchez contract. He would not take less then that and wants more. I think 5 years 80-90 is the ball park.

achap39

Liked Posts:
And the Cubs 'home grown' talent of Castro and Rizzo are exceeding expectations??

Castro and Rizzo combined salary in 2013: $990K
Josh Hamilton alone: $17M

Go and ask the Dodgers how well it's worked for them so far, assembling a veritable All-Star team. They're 3.5 games better than a rebuilding Cubs team, with nothing but long-term contracts that they will never be able to get out from under.

This is the first time since the advent of free agency that the Cubs are starting over, from scratch. No team spent LESS on scouting, no team spent LESS on development, hell- they would avoid drafting the best available player simply because it would cost too much. Rather than spend the money on developing homegrown talent, they go and sign guys like the ones already mentioned (and I can go back to Todd Hundley, Randy Myers, and Mel Rojas if you'd like) because they couldn't draft, scout, or have a viable minor league system.

We've seen what happens when this organization just throws money at players, and it has never worked. It's time to try something different.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

How much is Garza worth?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'd say $12-14 million per on the open market but more than that for the Cubs to retain.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd say $12-14 million per on the open market but more than that for the Cubs to retain.

If he is healthy I would be shocked if he got offers less than 5 years and 15 million per.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Castro and Rizzo combined salary in 2013: $990K
Josh Hamilton alone: $17M

Doesn't matter the amount spent. This is baseball, not accounting. You don't get a bonus for spending less money.

Go and ask the Dodgers how well it's worked for them so far, assembling a veritable All-Star team. They're 3.5 games better than a rebuilding Cubs team, with nothing but long-term contracts that they will never be able to get out from under.

And the Dodgers are also only 3.5 games out of first place and have been one of the best teams in baseball the last 3-4 weeks.

They have played a large portion of the season without Hanley Ramirez, Zack Greinke and Matt Kemp.

Think that might have been holding them back??

They will make the playoffs.

hell- they would avoid drafting the best available player simply because it would cost too much.

You mean like they did last year??
We've seen what happens when this organization just throws money at players, and it has never worked. It's time to try something different.

No we haven't.

The Cubs have signed one elite Free Agent in what, ever???