Garza To Rangers -- Olt, Edwards, Grimm to Chi (Post 607)

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I'm beginning to smell World Series in 2047.

Incredible potential power at the minor league levels.

I wonder where this ranks Hemmoroidys.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Don't get why people are frowning upon two Top 100's, a depth guy, and PTBNL or two for a #2 starter?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I'm beginning to smell World Series in 2047.

Incredible potential power at the minor league levels.

I wonder where this ranks Hemmoroidys.

I'll still be alive then, but maybe we should start selling these prospects for more prospects of younger ages so they don't retire before then. :yeah:

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I'll still be alive then, but maybe we should start selling these prospects for more prospects of younger ages so they don't retire before then. :yeah:

......and now a message from our ML ballclub at Wrigley.....

*crickets*

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Olt hit a 3 run homer against iowa last night, does anyone know how he has been hitting lately ? improvement, same, worse

Better apparently he had a tear duct condition. He's something like .290 over his last 10 games with a .410 obp

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know. That is also based off of him having a better second hand. Olt has post concussion vision problems. He hasn't been that much better since coming back. He keeps going that route. He will drop out.

The vision problems weren't concussion based

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Better than a #30ish pick

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

patg006

Liked Posts:
The almighty Keith Law approves of this deal!

:fap:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The almighty Keith Law approves of this deal!

:fap:

Well he didn't have to pay out the Cubs MVP Navarro in the deal. Any time you can score 4 or 5 for one and get a top 50 player that plays a NEEDED spot 3B. And is at AAA. Ie can play THIS year. And has plus D. Then add in potentially 4 pitchers. This was a heist not a haul. Fact was Tommy was not going to pay out what Garza was asking so the choices were trade or take a mid 30 pick. There was no resign option.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Looks like Neil Ramirez is officially the PTBNL from the trade...

Franko725

Liked Posts:
So, if the rumors were true, that means that the original centerpiece of the trade is now the PTNBL. I am good with this. The front office must have seen enough from him since his return not to be concerned with his health now.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Ramirez is now considered the centerpiece? Whoa!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ramirez was part of the package. The Cubs had reservations because of his shoulder issues. So, the Ranger gave them a choice of 2 players off a list that both teams agreed upon or Ramirez. The Cubs eventually chose Ramirez. I assumed if his medicals got better he was coming.

The real centerpiece of this deal was Edwards. People think Olt, but I am pretty positive he wasn't. Olt was a risk taking him with his problems. They thought if they got him and he turns it around. Then, they got a steal. If not, they still got two young pitchers they liked and a depth guy.

I wrote on here before when I watched a Rangers broadcast and they talked to Nolan Ryan about the trade. The only guy he said was hard to let go was Edwards. He said he really liked him.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So, if the rumors were true, that means that the original centerpiece of the trade is now the PTNBL. I am good with this. The front office must have seen enough from him since his return not to be concerned with his health now.

When - I believe it was Bowden - called him the centerpiece, he was mistaken. I believe I even saw something where he explained that his source originally told him only one name - Ramirez - and he assumed it was the centerpiece. He made a mistake, Ramirez is not at the same level as Edwards by any means.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
To be honest, I wouldn't be too upset if the cubs stuck Olt some where he could rake to drive his value up. Then, maybe use him as a chip in a trade for higher level pitching. The reality is they probably don't need him. Between Baez and Bryant they should have a solid 3B. They also have Villenuva. If they continue with the record they have they will be getting a decent amount of international signing slots that they can't spend next year because they went over this year. So, that and Olt could be the start to a semi decent package to get a pitcher from a team with heavy pitching in their farm system but no bats.