Garza To Rangers -- Olt, Edwards, Grimm to Chi (Post 607)

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Edwards has to change his body to become a starter in the majors. Frame would most likely not hold up to the workload. That's why they project him as a bullpen arm.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh, and I hardly doubt Olt is a top 50 prospect going into next year. His stock has dropped like a rock. These aren't minor issues he is having.

Im not a fan of this trade, but I do know they plan on Olt going into next year as the third baseman. Cheap option under control to throw out there. I thought that when the deal was initially said a couple of days ago.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the deal is Olt, Edwards, Grimm, and a player to be named later. Seems Edwards is more the centerpiece over Olt and Olt is more the lottery ticket. Grimm is a back of the rotation starter. Now, this deal could become really good because the PTBNL is performance based. They are not sure if its on how Garza does or if Texas wins the worlds series. But, most are saying it has a performance base to it. It also could be if Garza resigns with the Rangers. Guys like Ramirez, Sardinas, and a couple of other high Ranger prospects are on it. So, it seems the Cubs are going to be routing on Matt Garza and the Rangers the rest of the year.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Oh, and I hardly doubt Olt is a top 50 prospect going into last year. His stock has dropped like a rock. These aren't minor issues he is having.

Im not a fan of this trade, but I do know they plan on Olt going into next year as the third baseman. Cheap option under control to throw out there. I thought that when the deal was initially said a couple of days ago.

As of this month, he's still one per BA.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/midseason-prospect-update-top-50-prospects/

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know almost nothing about minor league baseball outside the Cubs organization so I'm pretty disappointed at the reactions from people I trust on here.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I know almost nothing about minor league baseball outside the Cubs organization so I'm pretty disappointed at the reactions from people I trust on here.

It isn't a mind blowing return, not a bad one either.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
THe PTBNL could net us another top 100 prospect. So, if we do get 3 then no one can bitch. Olt and Edwards are top 100 players. Buster Olney thinks the Cubs got a better deal then the Rays did from the Cubs. But, I find that hard to say right now.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It isn't a mind blowing return, not a bad one either.

See, that's the disconnect everyone keeps having Matt Garza isn't Clayton Kershaw. He's not Justin Verlander, not David Price, Felix Hernandez -- he isn't an ace. Period. He doesn't deserve an ace's return. Just because he's the best pitcher on the Cubs doesn't constitute that a team should be forced to give up more because of what he's worth to the Cubs. The Rangers acquired him as an insurance policy, at the very least. There have been reports that one of the Rangers' offseason priorities is to extend Garza, and if they're able to, I think it was a very intelligent trade on their part. For the Cubs, they had three options -- more than likely overpay for Garza's services because of his status with the Cubs, let him leave and get one compensatory draft pick, or trade him and get a chance to land more than one impact prospect. I think they got it right.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Have to see on this deal. Edwards has the stuff but is 155. Needs to beefcake. Hit the rack for a year boy. Olt. On the fence with him. Cubs are stocking up 3B aren't they now? Lake, Vitters, Olt, Villenueva, Candi, Bryant. Shoot frik'n Choo Choo to 3B. If Olt gets his vision strait he makes the most sense there. GG type with power. Rest lack either solid D or a power bat. Lake don't know what he is. Dude can ball though.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is Laws take

After zeroing in on Matt Garza for a few days, the Texas Rangers acquired him from the Chicago Cubs on Monday for prospects Mike Olt and C.J. Edwards, right-hander Justin Grimm, and a player to be named later.

The Rangers' need for a starter had become desperate, as their alternative to acquiring Garza was calling David Clyde to ask if he had anything left. Garza replaces Grimm in the rotation, which would be something on the order of a 4-5 win upgrade over the course of a full season (in terms of wins above replacement), and maybe as much as 2 WAR from now until the end of the season.

What Garza brings

Garza's main issue has been lack of health, as he's been effective when healthy but has made just 29 starts since the beginning of 2012. He's long been a four-pitch guy, but has barely used his changeup, by far his worst pitch, in 2013, and instead has increased the use of his two-seamer, a pitch he'd largely eschewed for years because he couldn't command it.

That two-seamer has good sinking life but hasn't produced ground balls this year, as Garza's ground ball rate (39.8 percent) is his lowest since he was traded to the Cubs before the 2011 season. He helps the Rangers, obviously, but he alone won't bridge the gap between them and the Oakland Athletics, and I think they need to find one more starter.

It's also worth noting that Garza is a free agent after this season, which means the Rangers are only acquiring him for the rest of 2013 and cannot reap draft pick compensation if he signs elsewhere over the winter.

The Cubs' haul

Olt's year has been derailed by vision problems that forced him to miss most of May, but prior to that the 24-year-old projected as an above-average everyday third baseman who added a ton of value on defense and hit for power with a low contact rate and modest OBP. Since coming off the DL in Triple-A, he's hitting .247/.353/.506, with 57 strikeouts in 186 plate appearances, a decent facsimile of what I expect from him in the majors, perhaps with slightly more contact when his vision is 100 percent again.

He's turned himself into a plus defender at third -- he was a bad defensive shortstop at UConn -- and the raw power is probably grade-70 on the 20-80 scouting scale, so if he can hit enough to get to that power, he has 25-30 homer potential. He's no Gary Scott, but Cub fans should be pleased.

Edwards is the wild card of the trade, boasting a very high upside with a limited track record and pedigree that belies his actual talent level. He has easy plus velocity, 90-96, with an above-average to plus curveball with good depth and 12-to-6 break, and a developing changeup that projects as average to slightly above. The 21-year-old has a 1.83 ERA with 122 strikeouts in 93 1/3 innings for low Class Hickory this year.

He's aggressive and throws strikes, with a little life on the fastball, and probably could go to high-A at this point given how well he's dominated low-A. The main issue with Edwards is that he's slight of build, atypically so for a starter, listed at 6-foot-2, 155 pounds. You have to develop him as a starter because of the chance for three pitches and the success so far, but it's fair to worry about his durability.

Grimm might be a fifth starter but right now projects more as a swingman or middle guy because he's a two-pitch pitcher, fastball and curveball, whose fastball is flat and changeup is below-average. Lefties hit him particularly hard, which is saying something because righties have had their way with him this year as well, and his high BABIP isn't a function of bad luck so much as poor command and lack of fastball life. Moving to the NL may help a little, but the biggest key will be finding a usable changeup for him.

The Cubs will also receive a player to be named from a list of names on which the teams have already agreed, making the return for them even better at some point, although even without that, Olt and Edwards alone are a strong return for 10-to-12 starts of Garza.
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/post?id=985

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Think of Olt as a young Kuz if he gets his vision together. Ok power but solid glove.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The Cubs will also receive a player to be named from a list of names on which the teams have already agreed, making the return for them even better at some point, although even without that, Olt and Edwards alone are a strong return for 10-to-12 starts of Garza.

it is now 2 players to be named later.. so the cubs recieved 5 players for Garza

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The deal is pending physicals for the players involved. Olt and Grimm will be sent to Triple-A Iowa and Edwards to Class-A Daytona.

Two players to be named now included of the other three players who've been confirmed. Glad to see that Olt and Grimm will start in AAA. Hope we'll see them both soon!

Franko725

Liked Posts:
it is now 2 players to be named later.. so the cubs recieved 5 players for Garza

And they can still re-sign him in the winter if they so choose to. At least that is what I am hoping for.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Grimm might be a fifth starter but right now projects more as a swingman or middle guy because he's a two-pitch pitcher, fastball and curveball, whose fastball is flat and changeup is below-average. Lefties hit him particularly hard, which is saying something because righties have had their way with him this year as well, and his high BABIP isn't a function of bad luck so much as poor command and lack of fastball life. Moving to the NL may help a little, but the biggest key will be finding a usable changeup for him.

Sounds like a dud. Dude should learn to throw a cutter/split. Trash filler

chibears55

Liked Posts:
And they can still re-sign him in the winter if they so choose to. At least that is what I am hoping for.

they didnt want to pay him what he wanted now, doubt it happens in offseason but you never know..