Garza To Rangers -- Olt, Edwards, Grimm to Chi (Post 607)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not saying you said this, just debating the whole contract issue.

What purpose does it serve to re-sign Garza to a 4-5 year deal if the Cubs don't plan on being competitive in at best, 3 years from now? Isn't that a wasted contract? :popcorn:

Agree.

One of the posts up there made sense. Shark is a 2 right now. Garza is a 2 right now. I would put Wood as a 3. With more run support he could have over 10 wins right now. Jackson is an example of over spending for a #4. They would have been better off not issuing that contract and using that cash to buy a proven 3/4/5 hitter.

Now how posters are saying they should shore up the rotation. Uhm last I checked the rotation has been the only thing that worked this year.

What has killed this team has been hitting with runners in scoring position and middle relief.

Those 2 are the main issues going forward. After they have put out a team that can generate more runs on a constant basis (vs a 8 run splurge because Sori is on a hot streak) and the pen is solid (they are working on it with what they have added but will lose a solid closer) I see adding a #1 lower in priority.

To be honestly what Jed has done has felt clunky at best. Signing Jackson to a 50 mil deal when he is a 4 at best. Not really smart. Then not signing a proven bat to help stabilize run production. Looking at it Rizzo was and still is not proven as a stable run producer and Sori is just streaky. Signing a hitter like Swisher would have stabilized run production more then a unproven platoon.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
it didn't make a ton of sense to throw that kind of money at him when he'd be nearing the end of his prime by the time the Cubs get people around him to succeed at the major league level. :shrug:

Castro and Rizzo aren't worth their contracts now.

Where is the uproar about those deals?

Cause it doesn't fit the PR campaign agenda.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Because those contracts and players are still moveable assets. The Soriano contract plus factoring in his age and recent performance makes the contract much more of a problem.

Also, right now I think Rizzo is worth his contract. Castro is a hot turd, even still though if the Cubs shopped Castro they'd have a ton of teams lining up. You can argue that they aren't worth the contracts but most in MLB would disagree.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Because those contracts and players are still moveable assets.

In your opinion.

I bet there would be a lot less REAL interest in a couple players with around $90M left in salary that are struggling to hit .240 if they are still hitting like this next year.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Rizzo has a season and a half under his belt. You're acting like he's 29 and had 6 or 7 years to get going. He's 23, give him time. The contract is a good value because the Cubs bought out his control years at a value price, compared to what other top tier first basemen received during their arbitration years. If you want to gripe about a contract, gripe about Castro. His regression is a bit puzzling, especially considering his value is largely based on his ability to make contract and run the bases, two things he hasn't done very well this season. When you couple that with his poor defense, it certainly is a cause for concern. Still, locking him up at such a young age at a premium offensive position was insightful on the Cubs part. I'm sure they were banking on him to continue this trend of .300+ hitting, 30+ doubles, 20+ steals, etc. Obviously, that hasn't been the case this year. Hopefully he's just having a poor first-half and can turn things around going into the fall.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
In your opinion.

I bet there would be a lot less REAL interest in a couple players with around $90M left in salary that are struggling to hit .240 if they are still hitting like this next year.

Uh yeah, there would be a lot of interest in a few 23-year-olds with Major League experience.... And there already has been.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In your opinion.

I'm talking the here and now.

Because as you said:

Anytime you want to start making decent points please do so.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Rizzo has a season and a half under his belt. You're acting like he's 29 and had 6 or 7 years to get going. He's 23, give him time.

There are PLENTY of other young players before far better than Rizzo.

The contract is a good value because the Cubs bought out his control years at a value price, compared to what other top tier first basemen received during their arbitration years.

His contract is not a value price for a 1B struggling to hit .240 with an OPS in the .770 range.

He is light years from being the 'top tier first baseman' you are wishing he is.

If you want to gripe about a contract, gripe about Castro.

I have.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Uh, nobody disputed this? How far did you have to reach up into your ass to pull this tasty morsel out?

His contract is not a value price for a 1B struggling to hit .240 with an OPS in the .770 range.

He is light years from being the 'top tier first baseman' you are wishing he is.

Again, your lack of reading comprehension rivals that of my 18-month old niece. The contract is a solid value compared to what other first basemen signed during their arbitration years, Adrian Gonzalez, Albert Pujols (who ended up getting a monster deal almost immediately), Prince Fielder, etc. And again, I never once said Rizzo was a "top tier" first basemen. I'll be the first to admit he's cooled off since his hot start. I also remember that he's 23 and has no lineup protection to speak of. He's going to be fine.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

I have.

I think everyone should have some reservations (not saying they won't get going) about one of the players (Castro or Rizzo) becoming an Ian Stewart. A player that had power, defense, was young, and now cannot turn it around. Nothing wrong with being a little skeptical.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think everyone should have some reservations (not saying they won't get going) about one of the players (Castro or Rizzo) becoming an Ian Stewart. A player that had power, defense, was young, and now cannot turn it around. Nothing wrong with being a little skeptical.

I have no issues with skepticism but I think saying that Rizzo isn't worth his contract right now or those two would be tough to trade is a bit much.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I have no issues with skepticism but I think saying that Rizzo isn't worth his contract right now or those two would be tough to trade is a bit much.

Time will tell on both of them. Castro definitely has the shorter leash though.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Time will tell on both of them. Castro definitely has the shorter leash though.

Agreed. But even for a point of comparison if he rebounds to even Alexi Ramirez type numbers(.276/.315/.403) he would be well worth the contract and the value would be pretty damn good, especially with his low buyout in the option season.

If Rizzo turns into Adam Laroche 162 game averages(.267/.338/.480) he'd be a really good value of those contracts. I don't think either of those two projections is over the moon or complete unrealistic and pretty easy and reasonable to project to and given the year by year contract values Rizzo and Castro are still semi bargains.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Agreed. But even for a point of comparison if he rebounds to even Alexi Ramirez type numbers he would be well worth the contract and the value would be pretty damn good, especially with his low buyout in the option season.

If Rizzo turns into Adam Laroche 162 game averages he'd be a really good value of those contracts. I don't think either of those two projections is over the moon or complete unrealistic and pretty easy and reasonable to project to and given the year by year contract values Rizzo and Castro are still semi bargains.

The other thing that people totally overlook is that committing this kind of money to young players frees up future payroll for the Cubs to concentrate on filling their more glaring holes (catcher, front-end starting pitchers, offense-oriented second baseman) in the future. Third base could also be a need if the Cubs decide to move Kris Bryant to a corner outfield spot, although I'd assume with them taking him at #2, they're going to exhaust all options they have before moving him from third base.

patg006

Liked Posts:
I still love this ridiculous fantasy that people think if the Cubs spent another 20 or 30 million on our payroll, we'd suddenly be a playoff contender. That amount equates to two or three above-average to top-tier free agents. Shit, look what $25 million a season is getting the Angels with Josh Hamilton -- a guy who weighs more than his batting average, a guy who lost a tremendous amount of defensive value when he had to shift from center to a corner outfield position, and he's probably about two more seasons away from needed to go to first base. His pitch recognition has been terrible up to his recent upswing. Shit, stay on the same team. Look at Pujols, I don't need to say anything about him.

I think its ridiculous that the 20-30 million invested in better bullpen arms and a consistent bat in the middle of the line up that didnt shit itself against lefty pitching is such a detriment to fans like you. Playoffs? Neither side of this argument can guess, just speculate. But improvement and more games won than lost? 30 mil makes a different.

What's funny is that the two best players on the Angels, Mike Trout and Howie Kendrick, are.... holy shit, wait for this....ARE PRODUCTS OF THEIR FARM SYSTEM! They aren't high-priced flashy guys. Sure, Trout is obviously going to be one of those guys eventually, but he's a supreme talent. A once-in-a-generation guy who transcends the game on both sides of the ball. He's worth whatever he asks to be paid. If it's a 10-year, $300 million contact, then shit, I'd offer that to him without batting an eyelash. And Kendrick himself signed a very reasonable 4-year, 33.5MM deal last year. He's a guy who generally plays above-average defense, hits around .300, and gets his fair share of doubles, homers and steals. He's a valuable guy to have.

And the Angels reportedly have one of the current worst farm systems after this production.

It flabbergasts me that people think one or two people puts the Cubs in a better situation then they're in now.

It does. To think Nick Swisher and Eric Chavez instead of Nate/DeJesus and Cody Ransom and Valbuena at 2nd instead of Barney doesn't improve this punchless offensive line up is delusional.

The argument that, "There's no guarantee with spending money on prospects and international players" is so tired.

None of us have said that. You'd have thought after the bajillion times we've stated our opinions, you would figure that out. I underestimated you.

Thanks for playing!

News flash -- there's no guarantee that giving a free agent $100 million is going to get you any closer to a World Series, either. Again, look at the Angels. Look at the Dodgers, they aren't in first place. Look at Toronto, Philadelphia, San Francisco.... I could keep going. On the flip-side, look at Oakland, Tampa, St. Louis, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, etc. The Cubs made their plan clear when Epstein and Hoyer were hired -- they're creating an infrastructure. Their extra funds are being spent on play development and scouting. That's the way the plan on building the major league team and the minor league system. It's a proven method. The Cubs look at it this way -- the more talent you funnel into the minor league system, the higher chance you have for some of them to turn into Major League contributors, All-Stars, superstars, etc. What happens if we have scraps for a minor league system? The Cubs are giving themselves flexibility -- if they want to keep their youngsters on lockdown, they can afford to pay for them. A lot of other teams aren't afforded that luxury. If they want to trade them away to acquire stars, they have the depth where their farm system won't become depleted. And once the results of player development become apparent, then they can go out and fill holes with free agents. With so many holes on the major league roster, what sense does it make to put a band-aid over a shotgun blast? Building a winner takes time. Be patient.

Newsflash:

the teams I've pointed out: Cards, Giants, Rangers, Phillies; you know--the successful teams--have balanced all three phases of free agency, farm, and trades to make themselves perennial contenders.

Once again; we are OK with building the farm. We dont have problems with that. We're ok with that.

Once again, you misconstrue our points that the MAJOR LEAGUE TEAM SHOULD NOT BE IGNORED. That is our beef. The problem. We're ok with Kris Bryant, Soler, Baez, and the other youngsters. What we arent ok with--is the major league team being ignored for the sake of the farm.

I fully expect you to screw this up again and spout off more nonsense. You have yet to get it right.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Re: Matt Garza Rumor Thread

The MLB team hasn't been ignored. Marmol is gone!:D

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think its ridiculous that the 20-30 million invested in better bullpen arms and a consistent bat in the middle of the line up that didnt shit itself against lefty pitching is such a detriment to fans like you. Playoffs? Neither side of this argument can guess, just speculate. But improvement and more games won than lost? 30 mil makes a different.

It isn't a detriment. I never said it was a detriment. What I said if it's going to ultimately improve the team a handful of games -- which doesn't change the landscape of making the playoffs, then why spend the money? 20-30 million won't make a banner fly. In the grand scheme of things, that's a fairly negligible amount. Sure, the Cubs could've potentially added some bullpen depth and maybe a marginal bat, but I'll keep going back to the point -- it more than likely wouldn't have made a difference between making the playoffs or not. So why just spend money to spend money? Their focus was acquiring assets that were easily tradable to add minor league depth. This was discussed when the offseason started and they followed through. Like it or not, that's what the plan was.

And the Angels reportedly have one of the current worst farm systems after this production.

They do, in large part because they've been trading away all of their young talent on more expensive players. And this has cost them over the last few seasons. If have the seventh highest payroll in baseball, you'd better be making the playoffs, right? Well, they aren't. They're still under .500.

It does. To think Nick Swisher and Eric Chavez instead of Nate/DeJesus and Cody Ransom and Valbuena at 2nd instead of Barney doesn't improve this punchless offensive line up is delusional.

Oh really? Nick Swisher, huh? You would've been comfortable paying him (at 32, mind you) $56 million over four years? This same guy who's batting a blistering .249 right now with 9 homers and average-at-best defense? His only saving grace is that he's a patient hitter who has a decent OBP. You think that would've been money well spent? Okay, cool. Gotcha.

Here's a side-by-side of Nick Swisher versus David DeJesus and Nate Schierholtz this year:

Swisher -- .248/.356/.412 9 HRs, 31 RBIs, 16 doubles, 43 walks
DeJesus -- .260/.318/.445, 6 HRs, 21 RBIs, 15 doubles, 15 walks
Schierholtz -- .275/.330/.510, 11 HRs, 34 RBIs, 19 doubles, 17 walks

That's cool! Yeah, you're right. I'd much rather be dumping all that money into Swisher! Great plan! World Series, here we come! The Chavez comparison is the only worthwhile discussion because third base has been a black hole since Ramirez left for Milwaukee, but again, the production at third between Ransom and Valbuena has been serviceable. I'd be more concerned with having a replacement for Barney. His defense simply doesn't make up for his complete ineptitude at the plate. Unfortunately, the Cubs really don't have an in-house replacement, as Arismendy Alcantara is probably a good season and a half away from being ready. If anything, a second baseman would've been something the Cubs should've went after this offseason.

Newsflash:

the teams I've pointed out: Cards, Giants, Rangers, Phillies; you know--the successful teams--have balanced all three phases of free agency, farm, and trades to make themselves perennial contenders.

Once again; we are OK with building the farm. We dont have problems with that. We're ok with that.

Once again, you misconstrue our points that the MAJOR LEAGUE TEAM SHOULD NOT BE IGNORED. That is our beef. The problem. We're ok with Kris Bryant, Soler, Baez, and the other youngsters. What we arent ok with--is the major league team being ignored for the sake of the farm.

I fully expect you to screw this up again and spout off more nonsense. You have yet to get it right.

What you guys must not understand is that having the infrastructure in place with a minor league system and scouting plan in place is necessary in order for most teams to be comfortable with spending money on free agents. Most fans must forget that, while these ownership teams are billionaires, it isn't monopoly money. They have limits to what they can and what they are willing to spend. And those teams above found a balance in all three phases by concentrating on their farm system FIRST. If you don't believe, go look at each team's rosters. Look at how many guys were drafted by those franchises, or acquired early in their respective careers VIA trade.

None of us who are in favor of how Theo and Jed are building the team don't want them to spend money. Obviously, you have to spend money to win. It's HOW the team chooses to spend that money that's important. The amount of money is irrelevant. I mean, would you guys feel better if the Cubs would've blown huge money on, say, Michael Bourn, your boyfriend Nick Swisher and a guy like Anibal Sanchez, yet we still finish with 79 wins? If you guys keep bringing up winning as the ultimate barometer here, then does it really matter how "winning" is achieved? If the Cubs had a ridiculously low payroll and they were winning, wouldn't you be happy? I feel like you guys just bitch about the team not going crazy with spending because they aren't doing it.

The Cubs did spend money this offseason -- look at all the pitchers they signed. That's turned out pretty well, both in terms of performance (of those players, in particular) and in terms of having assets that can help create a self-sustaining roster. As I mentioned earlier, could they have used an alternate to Barney at second base that was a bit more offense-oriented? Sure. I agree with that. My complaint is that you guys have absolutely no plan. You don't explain anything, other than "SPEND MONEY LOL. DO IT, RICH OWNER!"

If you want to formulate an argument, give us examples. Whoops, you did -- you said Nick Swisher. He's having a fairly shitty year. He's producing on-par or worse than the two Cubs players you mentioned, and he makes about three times as much money as those two guys. Again, would you feel THAT much better if they were spending the extra money but it wasn't yielding results? So, again -- what do you want the Cubs to do? Here, I'll break down my questions. Answer them, if you want to actually debate why you oppose what ownership and the front office is doing.

**What route do you want them to take in free agency going into 2014?
**Do you think it's more paramount that they concentrate on spending money on pitching or position players?
**Should the Cubs scale back their draft and international funds next year in lew of spending more in free agency?
**In regards to this year, should the Cubs trade Matt Garza, Alfonso Soriano, James Russell and David DeJesus? Which players? All of them? None of them? A combination of them? Why or why not?
**Is Garza, in particular, more valuable to the Cubs as a trade asset or a rotational building block? What about Shark?
**Should the Cubs singing of Kris Bryant have any bearing on them going after a third baseman in the offseason or in a trade?

Again, if you guys actually want to talk about what's happening instead of having your periods in every thread, then answer some questions that board members are posing to you so an actual discussion can be created. I'm all for it. I enjoy talking about this kind of stuff. Otherwise, its' just you and a few other people swinging your dicks and complaining.

patg006

Liked Posts:
None of us who are in favor of how Theo and Jed are building the team don't want them to spend money. Obviously, you have to spend money to win. It's HOW the team chooses to spend that money that's important. The amount of money is irrelevant. I mean, would you guys feel better if the Cubs would've blown huge money on, say, Michael Bourn, your boyfriend Nick Swisher and a guy like Anibal Sanchez, yet we still finish with 79 wins? If you guys keep bringing up winning as the ultimate barometer here, then does it really matter how "winning" is achieved? If the Cubs had a ridiculously low payroll and they were winning, wouldn't you be happy? I feel like you guys just bitch about the team not going crazy with spending because they aren't doing it.

The Cubs did spend money this offseason -- look at all the pitchers they signed. That's turned out pretty well, both in terms of performance (of those players, in particular) and in terms of having assets that can help create a self-sustaining roster. As I mentioned earlier, could they have used an alternate to Barney at second base that was a bit more offense-oriented? Sure. I agree with that. My complaint is that you guys have absolutely no plan. You don't explain anything, other than "SPEND MONEY LOL. DO IT, RICH OWNER!"

If you want to formulate an argument, give us examples. Whoops, you did -- you said Nick Swisher. He's having a fairly shitty year. He's producing on-par or worse than the two Cubs players you mentioned, and he makes about three times as much money as those two guys. Again, would you feel THAT much better if they were spending the extra money but it wasn't yielding results? So, again -- what do you want the Cubs to do? Here, I'll break down my questions. Answer them, if you want to actually debate why you oppose what ownership and the front office is doing.

Examples? We've done this song and dance a million times. I list Fielder, CJ Wilson, Swisher, Chavez, etc. You come back with "theres no guarantee this is a playoff team!"

Spent money on pitching that's turned out pretty well? We obviously haven;t been watching the same Edwin Jackson, Shawn Camp, and Asian Sensations.

Swisher having a shitty year? Congrats, you pointed out batting average and his age. Funny in all of your sabremetrics :fap: fests, you leave his OBP of 355 out. And I'm not asking him to be the 30 home run 120 RBI guy. I'm asking him to do better than Valbuena/Ranson, Rizzo, Castro, Sappelt, and everybody else sans Soriano in driving in runners in scoring position; their biggest flaw. I'll take Swisher at 14 mil a year right now to bat 5th over what I see now.

**What route do you want them to take in free agency going into 2014?
**Do you think it's more paramount that they concentrate on spending money on pitching or position players?
**Should the Cubs scale back their draft and international funds next year in lew of spending more in free agency?
**In regards to this year, should the Cubs trade Matt Garza, Alfonso Soriano, James Russell and David DeJesus? Which players? All of them? None of them? A combination of them? Why or why not?
**Is Garza, in particular, more valuable to the Cubs as a trade asset or a rotational building block? What about Shark?
**Should the Cubs singing of Kris Bryant have any bearing on them going after a third baseman in the offseason or in a trade?

Again, if you guys actually want to talk about what's happening instead of having your periods in every thread, then answer some questions that board members are posing to you so an actual discussion can be created. I'm all for it. I enjoy talking about this kind of stuff. Otherwise, its' just you and a few other people swinging your dicks and complaining.

*They will seemingly be down OFs, RPs, so I target Choo, Corey Hart (back up 1B too) or Elsbury and I make sure I get better than imported garbage for relief pitching. I target Josh Johnson. I talk with Robinson Cano about a 4-5 year deal and his desired amount for it. I inquire about David Price and make Almora and Soler available as the foundation of that package.

**Pitching wins championships

***For the right free agents, yes.

****If the cubs truly rebuild--ship them off except Soriano. He's the only player I honestly believe the cubs would pay 10 fold to give away and get dick back.

*****If you dont think Matt Garza is a rotational building block, you're an idiot. Shark is only getting better.

******Depends, how fast or slow does Bryant get moved? Does he bust and suck ass in the minors? Does he continue his home run tear? If Bryant lives up to the hype, I'm good with a filler guy like Chavez to hold the position down till Bryant gets there.

Speaking of 'periods on the thread,' you are blind. We have done this song and dance. We tell you what we would do and you misconstrue it and conjure up nonsense and shove it in our mouths and preach it as word, then call us "derailers of threads." Knock it off...