George and Ted reportedly will accompany Ryan Pace on coaching interviews

billwade

Liked Posts:
It sounds like the Bears are going after the right guys to replace John Fox as head coach.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the Bears are going with the wrong guys on this weekend’s trip to interview Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Vikings offensive coordinator Shurmur and Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo.

It’s supposed to be Ryan Pace’s decision, but, as I understand the plan, his bosses will drive on these dates. Chairman George McCaskey and team president Ted Phillips will accompany the GM, like he’s some kind of teenage son. Good luck with the football version of “Meet the Parents.’’ Good luck looking like you’re in charge, kid.

It might not necessarily be wrong to have a team chairman and team president take part early in the interview process — unless it’s THAT chairman and THAT president with THAT recent awful history that includes two of the four coaches with the worst winning percentages in the history of this legacy franchise and the GMs who hired them.

At the press conference Monday to announce Fox’s firing and Pace’s two-year contract extension, McCaskey said the choice of the new coach is Pace’s. But Pace continually talked about a “collaborative’’ effort. No, no, no. Don’t say that. Hearing about a “collaborative’’ effort makes Bears fans want to vomit, and Bears wonks obviously have no idea why. But here’s why:

McCaskey and Phillips have overseen a death spiral the last five years, including four straight seasons of 10 or more losses with two different GMs and two different coaches, so the last thing any respectable organization should want is the perception that those wonks are involved in the process.

“Collaborative effort’’ can be a great phrase if you’re talking Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer and Jason McLeod. Or Stan and Scotty Bowman. Or Jerry Krause working by his secretive, successful self that no other modern executive in this city is likely to match.

But nobody wants to hear “collaborative effort’’ when you’re talking about a chairman and president who’ve been a big reason the football product stinks. That’s reason enough to keep them quiet and out of the way until absolutely necessary.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...y-ted-phillips-rosenbloom-20180103-story.html

billwade

Liked Posts:
If this isn't enough to send coaching head candidates with other options scurrying in the another direction, I don't know what will. So far, I see little change from the process 3 years ago except Pace isn't a new hire. Sweat ted and George McCaskey just can't keep their meddling hands out of football operations. Is there a question in anyone's mind that if the sweatser doesn't like Pace's choice, that guy will be disqualified from consideration?

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
If they are ready to sign a guy like Schurmer or McD on the spot, this probably makes sense.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
If they are ready to sign a guy like Schurmer or McD on the spot, this probably makes sense.
Believe it or not I think this is exactly the case.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

billwade

Liked Posts:
But I thought it was Pace's decision? Why would the sweatster and george even need to be there except to chase potential candidates off? A second or third interview with one or both to have them sign off, ok. But the first interview? I wonder if they'll tell Pace to go sit in a corner while they show the candidate how they're "football people"?

Joliet Jake

Liked Posts:
That might be the only explanation that would make sense for Pace to allow the two Cousin Eddies to be there. Otherwise Pace might as well have his nuts cut off.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
But I thought it was Pace's decision? Why would the sweatster and george even need to be there except to chase potential candidates off? A second or third interview with one or both to have them sign off, ok. But the first interview? I wonder if they'll tell Pace to go sit in a corner while they show the candidate how they're "football people"?

I think your questions in this post have already been speculated on in the above posts.....

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:

Pace can pick which Ferrari he wants, but Ted and George still have to sign the check.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ted is the money man him going with i hope means they plan on offering a job to one of these guys. That is my hope

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
sounds like Shurmur and McD are choices 1 and 1a in no particular order, with a nod going to McD, maybe. They have this week to get shit done so you might as well go in with all guns ablazin.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For the love of god. Its completely common for a team chairman and president to be aware of or in the same room as their GM during a HC interview. All that matters is who gets to have the final say in the hire. This is where we all hope its actually Pace making this call regardless of clownshoes Jr.'s and Sr.'s input.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Corporations do panel interviews all the time. Doesn't take away from who makes the ultimate decision. If they say he has the reigns to pick who he wants to hire, it's no different than being in the draft room with advisers.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I certainly hope that Swetty Teddie and George have enough brains to keep their yaps shut and let it be a RP choice instead of nixing his choices until they speak with a guy that they want.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Corporations do panel interviews all the time. Doesn't take away from who makes the ultimate decision. If they say he has the reigns to pick who he wants to hire, it's no different than being in the draft room with advisers.

This is true but we're talking about George and Teddy here...known meddling LOSERS.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Stinks of micromanagement to me and them not trusting Pace. But I supposed George is still a tad reluctant with Pace after he gave away $18m of his money to Glennon for playing 4 games.

Is hiring your 1st candidate on the spot doing due diligence in this very important decision? John Fox Take II - Get him, get him now.

I wonder if this trifecta will then micromanage the new HC when he decides on his coaching staff. That even assumes the new HC is allowed to hire all of his own coaches. These are the Bears after all.