Good read on Goff and others.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
QB's just don't need a cannon for an arm, especially nowadays where the middle of the field is there for the taking due to overbearing rule making. Back in the 80's & 90's teams built around the run & short passing game to set up the deep ball. In that style of play, strong arm goons with average accuracy could get by because they could rely on a good running game, slants, & game management to set up deep passing.

Nowadays the NFL is mostly a wide open mid range passing attacks built around 15 to 30 yard passing attacks & shitloads of it. The QB's that can play in that up tempo passing attack with the best accuracy & efficiency will rule the day in the current offensive rule making era.

A strong arm isn't about throwing the ball FAR. It is about getting it to the target before the quick defenders in the NFL can get there to defend the pass.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
He may not be able to throw the ball 60 yards to the wrong team like our current QB but he can consistently throw strikes for 45 to 50 yards on a dime.

Correct. Goff doesn't need to throw 60 yards to throw strikes to other teams (5 to Utah).

Liked Posts:
A strong arm isn't about throwing the ball FAR. It is about getting it to the target before the quick defenders in the NFL can get there to defend the pass.

Yes I understand this. Unfortunately how many strong armed are succeeding in the pros? The best QB's have good arms & great accuracy. I believe the strongest arms in the league belong to Cutler, Flacco, & Stafford. I wouldn't want any of those three on my team, outside of maybe Flacco.

Look right here in the NFCN, look at the two teams that drafted the strong armed QB's (Detroit & Chicago), & look at the team that picked the accurate QB with good arm strength. Look at Rodgers he has good arm strength & insane accuracy & he is the best QB I've ever watched within his specific era of play.

If the Bears are going to keep looking for the next strong armed QB like Marino they're going to be waiting a while.

Liked Posts:
Correct. Goff doesn't need to throw 60 yards to throw strikes to other teams (5 to Utah).

He did, but don't kid yourself, a bad game at the collegiate level doesn't define any player. Utah was on fire at the time too. Thats the same logic Sojka used to ague against drafting Aaron Donald because he didn't have a sack against Notre Dame his SR year.

I'd love to get Goff, Cook, Kessler or the Hack.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Same here and knowing that 2 of those guys will likely never amount to much. Can't win if you don't play.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
He did, but don't kid yourself, a bad game at the collegiate level doesn't define any player. Utah was on fire at the time too. Thats the same logic Sojka used to ague against drafting Aaron Donald because he didn't have a sack against Notre Dame his SR year.

I'd love to get Goff, Cook, Kessler or the Hack.

None of those listed qbs should have a 121st round grade. I wouldn't oppose a end or 3rd rounder on one but don't want to reach.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Propped up by superior talent really made me laugh. If you actually believe that this USC team is a superior talent you clearly aren't watching the very player you are analyzing & are talking out of your ass on this one. Goff & Cook have superior talent. Kessler & Hackenburg do not.

It's not superior talent. At least not in the comparisons that people want to lump Kessler into having when the likes of Leinart & sanchez were there. Plus their defense is not very good. I've seen Kessler play a lot of flawless games with excellent efficient production without committing turnovers only to have their defense frequently give up close to 30 or more unanswered points. Kessler has one WR that had any significant playing time from last year. Yes he has good players, it's USC, but when you compare them to the teams around the other talked about QB's like Cook, & Goff (I like both), superior is not the word.

Just my opinion, but USC has WAY more superior talent than Cal. With the exception of Goff, there isn't a single Cal player on the offensive side of the ball that I'd take over USC's counterpart, and in some cases, I'd rather have USC backups than Cal's starters. Hackenburg, I agree, does not have good talent surrounding him, but you cannot say the same about Kessler.

Neither Goff nor Kessler really helped their cause today, IMO. Goff's pick six was freaking horrible... he had a couple nice throws, but he did nothing to support the recent (now dying?) hype that he could be the #1 overall pick. I think he still may be worthy of a first round grade depending on how he looks the rest of the season, but not #1 overall. Same with Kessler, he can complete the bubble screen and the 10 yard pass with the best of them, but I still don't see anything from him that says he can be a quality NFL starter. Still Day 3 pick for me, at best.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
After 3 str8 losses.....I'm surprised ppl. are still viewing Jared Goff as a "1st rounder". I'm gonna keep a eye on the kid from TCU, when they play #12 Oklahoma, State, #14 Oklahoma and #2 Baylor.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
After watching more of his play he's starting to remind me ton of Nick Foles. Body type, Arm strength, arm slot. It's all eerily similar.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Manning currently has the weakest arm I've ever seen on a starting NFL QB. Weaker than Penningtons which also negates that point. Fitzpatrick is no star but is doing well this year without a gun. Of course you want arm strength and should be wary of those without but it's not an absolute.

And he's being eaten alive.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
After 3 str8 losses.....I'm surprised ppl. are still viewing Jared Goff as a "1st rounder". I'm gonna keep a eye on the kid from TCU, when they play #12 Oklahoma, State, #14 Oklahoma and #2 Baylor.

Anytime you try to evaluate QBs, all you look at is ability to run and record. It's fucking stupid. Elway had a losing record at Stanford and was the #1 pick.

Liked Posts:
Anytime you try to evaluate QBs, all you look at is ability to run and record. It's fucking stupid. Elway had a losing record at Stanford and was the #1 pick.

Marino had a bad year his SR year too. It's one thing when these QB prospects are throwing to other kids in college & another when they're throwing to men at the pro level. Plus I don't like judging a QB based on stats, especially the ones that come out of any of these raid offenses. There's a better chance than not these QB prospects won't be throwing spots on the field at the pro level unless they end up in some variant of a coryell offense, if there even are any of those left at the pro level anymore.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And he's being eaten alive.

I actually haven't watched him this year outside of high(low)lights but I could have said the same of the last 2 years and he got an MVP in one of those. Hasn't been the Manning of old but as long as he had enough arm strength could stay effective. For him, enough is the weakest starter but apparently not as weak as this year.

I still like a lot about Goff and how it could translate to the NFL. Kid's just trying to do to much on a team that can't win unless he does. Brings up whether he can be coached down but I suspect that he can.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

3 games I have seen of Goff....not impressed at all. Dont see the player that lives up to the hype he gets

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Originally Posted by run and shoot View Post

I look at the total package mobility, play-making, leadership and passing ability. Have u even seen this TCU kid's #'s & passing ability.

On Elway.....tell us what he finally accomplished as a Qb. Tell us what was the finally crowning moment as a QB.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
3 games I have seen of Goff....not impressed at all. Dont see the player that lives up to the hype he gets

Against top competition he looks avg. at best. He'll tough competition every week in da NFL. It's always good to see a Qb vs. ranked teams. Everybody was calling this guy a top 1st round pick when he was beating up on teams like Grambling, San Diego State and Washington St.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Against top competition he looks avg. at best. He'll tough competition every week in da NFL. It's always good to see a Qb vs. ranked teams. Everybody was calling this guy a top 1st round pick when he was beating up on teams like Grambling, San Diego State and Washington St.

True, and I won't be surprised if he falls out of the first. Would like to watch him play more, though.