Good to Know at least one Player the Cubs are Paying can hit MLB Pitching

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
For what it's worth, the Puig and Soler signings aren't really that different. In fact, many considered the Puig signing a reach. Soler was viewed as equivalent to a top 5 draft pick. Puig has obviously progressed faster but to say Soler was a bad signing and Puig was a good signing is using hindsight. They both were prospects pure and simple. Soler very well could come up in a few years and be a very good player. We don't know yet.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
To put it simply, Soriano's 1 year value isn't really important. It's the 3-5 year value we're looking at.

Simply put, the $6 million 'saved' on Soriano's contract and the shitty A ball player received from the Yankees will not provide any 3-5 year value.

So you have made the short term far worse without adding any long term value at all.

patg006

Liked Posts:
For what it's worth, the Puig and Soler signings aren't really that different. In fact, many considered the Puig signing a reach. Soler was viewed as equivalent to a top 5 draft pick. Puig has obviously progressed faster but to say Soler was a bad signing and Puig was a good signing is using hindsight. They both were prospects pure and simple. Soler very well could come up in a few years and be a very good player. We don't know yet.

I've said 'revisionist history' before regarding Puig/Soler.

But when I read both scouting reports, I saw identical players. The only thing Puig had on Soler was flashing speed. I really wanted that.....

Of course, I was big with Cespedes too. Oh well, cant win them all.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I've said 'revisionist history' before regarding Puig/Soler.

But when I read both scouting reports, I saw identical players. The only thing Puig had on Soler was flashing speed. I really wanted that.....

Of course, I was big with Cespedes too. Oh well, cant win them all.

I'm not calling you out or anything. I'm just stating it wasn't a clear cut choice the cubs blundered.

As another for what it's worth, there's significant reason to believe in a big regression in Puig. His .462 BABIP is unsustainable. Even if he turns out a .330 BABIP type, which would be pretty high, that's a long way for his average to drop and his other stats would presumably fall as well.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Woohoo 2 games. Still have no problem shipping him out of here. He had no place on the team at 35 and with us rebuilding. He's streaky. This is evident by the last two games. Carry on.

what the on tapatalk

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Is Barney part of the process, what about Cody Ransom? So why couldn't the Cubs play Lake at one of those positions and keep the only player they have worth a damn? He wasn't only their best player but their best leader. That's EXACTLY what you want on a rebuilding team. Guys like him

Yeah Lets rebuild with Soriano because he's a leader!! Great plan.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Clearly you do not understand the rebuilding process either.

When you rebuild, you try and get better players than the ones you are getting rid of.

And Soriano was not part of the rebuilding plan. Never was. Why keep a guy here to maybe win 5-6 more games this season? No point.

Do you really think what ever shitty prospect they got back from the Yankees is a part of the rebuilding process?

Actually you are probably dumb enough to think he is.

Did I say he was? No. But like I said before, the point is to rebuild with YOUTH. How old is Soriano? Once again, not part of the plan.

Complete loser mentality.

You understand there is no guarantee that losing games now will make you better in the future don't you?

How dumb will you feel if you end up living with losing now only to end losing in the future?

There is no guarantee. You're right. You're probably also one of those idiots that think this team can contend with Soriano. They are going no where this season or next. Or are you to blind to see that?

The last two games, Soriano has 4 HR and 13 RBI.

Cubs have 17 runs as a team in the last 6 games.

Here I'll give you a SMALL sample size too.

2007 NLDS + 2008 NLDS: 3-28.

0 2B's, 0 3B's, 0 HR's, 0 RBI. .107 BA, .138 OBP.

He's hot right now. It's 2 games.... But when he goes cold, he goes COLD.

Why are you so against the trade they made? Do you honestly believe the Cubs would be THAT much better with him still here? I don't think so. He gets on a 2-game hot streak and you and other members of this board crucify Theo for the move. Didn't hear a word from you when he was 7-44...

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Woohoo 2 games. Still have no problem shipping him out of here. He had no place on the team at 35 and with us rebuilding. He's streaky. This is evident by the last two games. Carry on.

what the on tapatalk

BUT DUDE THEY COULD HAVE WON 5-6 MORE GAMES THIS SEASON WITH HIM!!!! WE ARE LOSERS IN THIS REBUILDING PROCESS!!!!!!!

Thank you. At least someone else gets it.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

And Soriano was not part of the rebuilding plan. Never was. Why keep a guy here to maybe win 5-6 more games this season? No point.

Did I say he was? No. But like I said before, the point is to rebuild with YOUTH. How old is Soriano? Once again, not part of the plan.

There is no guarantee. You're right. You're probably also one of those idiots that think this team can contend with Soriano. They are going no where this season or next. Or are you to blind to see that?

Why are you so against the trade they made? Do you honestly believe the Cubs would be THAT much better with him still here? I don't think so. He gets on a 2-game hot streak and you and other members of this board crucify Theo for the move. Didn't hear a word from you when he was 7-44...

:andruw:

<3

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Post season numbers is not a valid argument. It would even out over time like all numbers. There is a reason you look at a career and not a sample.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

No one ever said he was a part of the rebuilding plan.

So why keep whining that people think he would be part of the rebuilding plan when no one said it in the first place? No point.

You do realize that the $6 million saved in salary and the shitty A ball pitcher are also not a part of the building plan don't you?

You are probably one of those idiots who think that every subtraction made now will result into a positive 3-5 years down the line.

They are going no where this season or next. Or are you to blind to see that?

Actually I am one of the people who have been saying that the current process of relying only on the farm system to build the major league team will take at least a decade to accomplish.

But you are too blind to see that.

Why are you so against the trade they made? Do you honestly believe the Cubs would be THAT much better with him still here?

Because trading him did nothing to make the future better.

$6M and a shitty A ball pitcher do not make the team better.

So the team is much worse now and was giving nothing to help the team in the future.

Pretty simple to see why people would be against it.

Hurts short term, doesn't help long term.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Last edited:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No one ever said he was a part of the rebuilding plan.

So why keep whining that people think he would be part of the rebuilding plan when no one said it in the first place? No point.

You do realize that the $6 million saved in salary and the shitty A ball pitcher are also not a part of the building plan don't you?

You are probably one of those idiots who think that every subtraction made now will result into a positive 3-5 years down the line.

Actually I am one of the people who have been saying that the current process of relying only on the farm system to build the major league team will take at least a decade to accomplish.

But you are too blind to see that.

Because trading him did nothing to make the future better.

$6M and a shitty A ball pitcher do not make the team better.

So the team is much worse now and was giving nothing to help the team in the future.

Pretty simple to see why people would be against it.

Hurts short term, doesn't help long term.

That is the point. You guys are bitching that the Cubs traded Soriano rather then keep him this season and possibly next. WHY? That's the point. There is no good reason why. "Because he is a clubhouse leader" Is that the best reason to keep him?

Did I say a shitty A player would make the future instantly better? No. But Keeping Soriano doesn't either.

If you say the team is much worse now, then whats the difference when Sorianos contract is over anyway? Will the team be worse in 2 years if they kept him?

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
That is the point. You guys are bitching that the Cubs traded Soriano rather then keep him this season and possibly next. WHY? That's the point. There is no good reason why. QUOTE]

Seriously Zack. That's bullshit.

They could have added some above average talent around him to make the team far more watchable and competitive.

Paying a good chunk of a player's salary to go away and get even more garbage in return and replacing him is absolutely fucking stupid to put it mildly.

They literally got nothing for him and threw away a huge amount of money.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
That is the point. You guys are bitching that the Cubs traded Soriano rather then keep him this season and possibly next. WHY? That's the point. There is no good reason why. "Because he is a clubhouse leader" Is that the best reason to keep him?

Did I say a shitty A player would make the future instantly better? No. But Keeping Soriano doesn't either.

If you say the team is much worse now, then whats the difference when Sorianos contract is over anyway? Will the team be worse in 2 years if they kept him?

The best reason to have kept him is because he is the best offensive player on the team.

You seem to agree that trading Soriano does nothing to help the future.

So if trading him doesn't help the future, and makes the present worse. What is the point of trading him??

You have no good reason why he should be traded other than to just blindly defend everything Theo does while providing no logic to support it.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You have no good reason why he should be traded other than to just blindly defend everything Theo does while providing no logic to support it.

I got told tonight acquiring Hemorrhoidys was a good move......................................................

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
FIelder would have been the 'major' free agent. CJ Wilson's 5 year 75 mil for a pitcher coming off back to back 18 win seasons with ERA's under 3 and 6+ strikeouts a game was the ballbuster. I really wanted that guy. Swish isn't major at 4 years 56.

Matt Capps signed a minor league deal under 1 mil. Lindstrom 2 million, McCarthy 7 mil a year,

seems your 9 is a bit misplaced, chief.

Oh thats a cool tidbit on Cespedes and Puig, do we get a trophy for coming up short in a bidding race?

One that kills me is Darvish. We supposedly finished 2nd for him but as you said, nobody cares about 2nd. Obviosly hindsight is 20/20 but imagine if we did get Darvish. We would have been in position to chase a major guy this year, maybe Greinke? In that case hold onto Garza and you have the best rotation in baseball.

1. Darvish
2. Greinke
3. Garza
4. Wood
5. Samardzija

Lineup would still be horrific but that staff would be capable of carrying a team. Rotation would cost less than $50 million which should be no problem what so ever for the Cubs. With Garza, Samardzja, and Wood to receive raises shortly it may tick up to the $75 million range but still should not be too bad and you could trade Samardzija in this scenario for an impact bat.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:

what the on tapatalk

He's 37....

Soriano has no place on the team but McDonald, Ransom, and Gillespie do? Good to know