Good to Know at least one Player the Cubs are Paying can hit MLB Pitching

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
One that kills me is Darvish. We supposedly finished 2nd for him but as you said, nobody cares about 2nd. Obviosly hindsight is 20/20 but imagine if we did get Darvish. We would have been in position to chase a major guy this year, maybe Greinke? In that case hold onto Garza and you have the best rotation in baseball.

1. Darvish
2. Greinke
3. Garza
4. Wood
5. Samardzija

Lineup would still be horrific but that staff would be capable of carrying a team. Rotation would cost less than $50 million which should be no problem what so ever for the Cubs. With Garza, Samardzja, and Wood to receive raises shortly it may tick up to the $75 million range but still should not be too bad and you could trade Samardzija in this scenario for an impact bat.

Darvish would have been a good get for them. But it's easy to say this now with hindsight. Historically, japnesse pitchers have been a pretty big mixed bag. Matzuzaka was also highly touted and bombed pretty hard. So, I don't have a problem with them setting a limit on the guy and not going higher.

But, I doubt they would have gone after Greinke. If you have Darvish, Garza, Shark and Wood you don't need him. You need a decent 4/5 pitcher who's way cheaper. You put the money saved into the offense more than likely.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
C'mon guys, don't you just love watching Darnell McDonald & Cody Ransom? :fap:

I don't care who they put out there if they win. The cubs don't need power. They are 7th overall in HR's and even without Soriano's 17 they would be around the league average. They are 23rd in the league in runs which directly relates to getting on base. They are 28th in OBP in the league.

Let me be clear, Soriano isn't the only problem. Castro's OBP is .281. Barney's OBP is .262. Soriano is .287. Rizzo is the next lowest with .323 is lower than I'd like but it's closer to league average. He's 98th out of 150 people with over 360 plate appearances and if he improves his batting average at all next season that will be over league average. They also need Castro to improve next season as he's obviously having a bad year. Barney isn't likely to improve much if at all. His career OBP is .294. The difference is none of those guys will be making $18 million next season. Barney will arbitration eligible and currently makes $562,000. So, let's say he makes $1 mil. Castro will make $5,857,142. Rizzo will make $3,000,000.

People have said $6 mil does nothing to help them next year? Really? Well let's assume ownership is cheap again which is a safe bet. Let's also assume someone like Choo goes for $13 mil/year. $6 million takes his price for just 2014 down to $7 mil. In 2015, the rest of Soriano's $13 million 2014 salary comes off the books. That pays for Choo or a similar level player.

I already know the comments that will be made so I'll address them to. Why can't they do that and keep Soriano? Last year they had $40 mil to spend in FA. To replace Garza they are going to pay at least the $16 mil that Sanchez got last off season. Schierholtz and Dejesus will make about $5 mil more. They need a 5th starter which is $5 mil that Feldman/Baker/Maholm got. They need to fill out their bench/bullpen so let's call that $5 mil. That's around $30 mil leaving $10 mil. If they have a similar amount of money to spend they can't afford a player like Choo. However, if he only costs $7 they can afford him and can probably also add a 3B or 2B for $3-5 mil.

Getting rid of Soriano gives you the option to replace 2 of the worst 3 players at getting on base. That in turn should increase the runs scored which in turn adds wins. That's the point I'm making. The fact that Soriano doesn't figure in long term makes the decision even easier. And on top of that you get a prospect who might not amount to anything but you never know. The odds are low but the odds of no prospect are 0%.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The problem is Castro and Rizzo slumping and 3B being a hack job all season long. Frik'n back up catcher is the biggest power threat. That is BS. The main problem is the Ricketts not willing to spend on quality and forcing Theo to salvage used parts.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Um Soriano with another homer and another 4 RBI's. That's 5 homers and 18 RBi;s in the past 4 games. I don't care who you are if you cant respect that then you are just a dick.