Greg Gabriel says it isn't a debate. Bears are trading the 1.01.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
During the game Gabriel claimed on Twitter that he is 100% positive the Bears have already decided to trade the pick. He has connections on the team still in the scouting department so I assume this means the team feels Fields is currently better than what is in the draft.

So I skimmed through and I don't see him at all saying the Bears will trade the #1 pick. He thinks they should, but about the only thing of note I could find from him is him laughing at the potential of Dan Bernstein having a heart attack on air when it is announced the Bears will keep Eberflus...

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Thats what any sensible GM would think.

long tenured Bears beat writers Biggs and Finley as well as Bernstein all think he is gone.

Tannenbaum and Greenberg on Get Up mentioned the salary cap thing.
Bryce Young is averaging 9mil while a Daniel Jones contract averages 40mil.
As Tannenbaum said, thats 30 mil to spend and getting a QB with a higher upside then Fields.

Posters cream over the thought of trading down to 9 or 10 in order to get an additional 2 more first rounders spread
out over 2025 and 2026 but who knows what kind of players they will be and when do they actually contribute.

Having 30 mil more to spend gives Poles the opportunity to improve this team right now with 2-3 very good NFL players.

You answered it yourself - long tenured Bears beat guys think he's gone - because they WANT him gone.

Long tenured Bears beat writers know they FEAST on clicks and views whenever there is a QB change. The media are the only ones really pushing it right now.

You really need to consider the source, as well as the fact that the Bears have plenty of cap room, and Fields is still UNDER CONTRACT for another year.

The financial argument is just an excuse - it only makes sense when you have a team full of aging superstars and you are up against the cap and need to decide who to pay and who to let go - which is NOT the situation the Bears find themselves in.

Jesus people, learn to think critically for once. Not every football axiom applies to every situation.....

Reactions: chi

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You answered it yourself - long tenured Bears beat guys think he's gone - because they WANT him gone.

Long tenured Bears beat writers know they FEAST on clicks and views whenever there is a QB change. The media are the only ones really pushing it right now.

You really need to consider the source, as well as the fact that the Bears have plenty of cap room, and Fields is still UNDER CONTRACT for another year.

The financial argument is just an excuse - it only makes sense when you have a team full of aging superstars and you are up against the cap and need to decide who to pay and who to let go - which is NOT the situation the Bears find themselves in.

Jesus people, learn to think critically for once. Not every football axiom applies to every situation.....
Lol why do beat reporters want him gone????

Luke

Liked Posts:

do they have recess at 9am nowadays?
please go back to the jungle gym.

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:
Poles in his two drafts has shown a penchant for valuing quantity of picks and has traded back repeatedly in both drafts to ensure more swings.

Trading back from the first pick last year he showed a good mixture of instant gratification and delayed gratification because DJ Moore is better than any rookie right now, Wright + Stevenson have proven to be talented rookies and the first overall pick was a smart bet because historically rookie first overall pick QBs have lost way more than they've won.

You trade back with Washington - they're going to suck next year. The CJ Stroud thing is an anomaly (they also added a franchise DE in Will Anderson).

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I could be totally wrong but i'm starting to wonder how big of a package Poles would be able to get. Not that one game makes a prospect but Penix looked awfully good last night. McCarthy has some tools. Bo Nix has crazy accuracy and leadership skills. Jayden Daniels is dynamic as hell. I wonder if teams won't be willing to just sit tight and force the Bears to spend the first overall pick on Harrison Jr. and/or just take what otherwise falls to them if they're really in the market for a QB.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
During the game Gabriel claimed on Twitter that he is 100% positive the Bears have already decided to trade the pick. He has connections on the team still in the scouting department so I assume this means the team feels Fields is currently better than what is in the draft.

He still has connections in the scouting department? Where? Gabriel was fired under Jerry Angelo that's 4 GMs ago.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Thats what any sensible GM would think.

long tenured Bears beat writers Biggs and Finley as well as Bernstein all think he is gone.

Tannenbaum and Greenberg on Get Up mentioned the salary cap thing.
Bryce Young is averaging 9mil while a Daniel Jones contract averages 40mil.
As Tannenbaum said, thats 30 mil to spend and getting a QB with a higher upside then Fields.

Posters cream over the thought of trading down to 9 or 10 in order to get an additional 2 more first rounders spread
out over 2025 and 2026 but who knows what kind of players they will be and when do they actually contribute.

Having 30 mil more to spend gives Poles the opportunity to improve this team right now with 2-3 very good NFL players.
I love how you constantly contradict yourself. For one the bears have one of the highest salary caps going into next offseason and that’s before cutting possible cap causalities like white hair and Jackson. Second it’s laughable how you think it’s a bad ideas to get more first rounders because you “ don’t know what kind of players they’ll be or when they’ll contribute “ but at the same time you’re banging your hand on the table for Williams like he is a guarantee for success and third picking up Fields fifth year doesn mean extending him to big money, why do y’all keep repeating that lie?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He still has connections in the scouting department? Where? Gabriel was fired under Jerry Angelo that's 4 GMs ago.
What connections does Biggs have?

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I love how you constantly contradict yourself. For one the bears have one of the highest salary caps going into next offseason and that’s before cutting possible cap causalities like white hair and Jackson. Second it’s laughable how you think it’s a bad ideas to get more first rounders because you “ don’t know what kind of players they’ll be or when they’ll contribute “ but at the same time you’re banging your hand on the table for Williams like he is a guarantee for success and third picking up Fields fifth year doesn mean extending him to big money, why do y’all keep repeating that lie?
This is peak performance Justin Fields you're arguing for. Justin Fields is not even in the Top-50 of DVOA for QBs.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Scouts stay with teams a long time. He also has connections on other teams as well, from scouts leaving the Bears.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
do they have recess at 9am nowadays?
please go back to the jungle gym.

I bring facts and logical arguments.

You bring insults.

You don't have a leg to stand on.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Scouts stay with teams a long time. He also has connections on other teams as well, from scouts leaving the Bears.
Yeah they do but there's been a massive amount of turnover since Gabriel and the last true scout that had been there long term was fired at the end of the Poles' first draft.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah they do but there's been a massive amount of turnover since Gabriel and the last true scout that had been there long term was fired at the end of the Poles' first draft.

It's not so hard to believe though. The NFL is kind of incestuous and nepotistic that way for lack of better terms. Everyone knows everyone somehow, so he might still have some connections in the building.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
It's not so hard to believe though. The NFL is kind of incestuous and nepotistic that way for lack of better terms. Everyone knows everyone somehow, so he might still have some connections in the building.
Exactly, it is called networking.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No it's not hard to believe but Gabriel has been so wrong about everything else the last 5 years that it's obvious his sources have dried up long ago.