Hail Szczur: Official Cubs Prospects and Off-season Leagues Thread

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boy I hope some of those aren't behind the pay wall :D

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I've been watching Zych pretty closely. I wanted to make the trek down to Tenn. late in the year to get eyes on him but alas I was clearly lacking #want (read: money).

I don't like his delivery much and I think it leaves him prone to prolonged bouts of inconsistency and wildness. His leg extension is short but his arm action is really fast and sexy. Small stride taxes the arm too much for my tastes and while I think he'll have the stuff to get to the Majors, he will be a completely infuriating RP.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought he did pretty well considering the shitastic defense behind him. Good poise. Got out of it with just one run given up, and might even get the win since the offense picked him up.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I thought he did pretty well considering the shitastic defense behind him. Good poise. Got out of it with just one run given up, and might even get the win since the offense picked him up.

Oh he's got pitchability and good poise, but he needs to rein in his arm action I think. He's going to get to the Majors IMO, He's probably a 5 now with 6upside and a 7ceiling, so I would be legit disappointed if he didn't, but I think he will have control issues up at the ML level until he fixes his delivery.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
And of course all of this comes with the caveat that I can be, and probably am, laughably wrong and he's the next Billy Wagner.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
And of course all of this comes with the caveat that I can be, and probably am, laughably wrong and he's the next Billy Wagner.
But he knows something you do not know...

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
"@doug_thorburn: @MRubio52 I think his delivery's pretty clean aside from the funky arm action, but he could benefit from more mirror-balance w/ his arms"

Evidence that I am laughably wrong. Doug is a great twitter follow.

Sent from MR Phone

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
"@doug_thorburn: @MRubio52 I think his delivery's pretty clean aside from the funky arm action, but he could benefit from more mirror-balance w/ his arms"

Evidence that I am laughably wrong. Doug is a great twitter follow.

Sent from MR Phone

I wouldn't say laughably wrong. He does acknowledge that his arm action is funky, but this is why I tend to avoid analyze mechanics there are just so many things that determine whether a motion works or doesn't.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think you worry about delivery or mechanics unless it significantly hinders their consistent pitch location or jeopardizes their health.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Zych looked preetty good yesterday and showed good composure with people in scoring position.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't say laughably wrong. He does acknowledge that his arm action is funky, but this is why I tend to avoid analyze mechanics there are just so many things that determine whether a motion works or doesn't.

For sure. I like looking at it and trying to see if I can tell where a delivery is going wrong and if it's leading to bouts of wildness. I'm still working on that skill though and 95 is 95 even with a funky delivery. What comes out of the hand is what matters most.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Muskat updates:

http://muskat.mlblogs.com/2012/11/06/116-afl-winter-ball-updates/

Logan Watkins made his Arizona Fall League debut on Monday, and was 0-for-2 with two walks and scored a run in the Mesa Solar Sox’s 5-4 win over Scottsdale. Watkins was named to the Solar Sox to replace Javier Baez, who injured his thumb. Matt Szczur led off and went 0-for-3 but also drew a walk and scored a run. Rubi Silva was 1-for-4 with a triple. Dae-Eun Rhee started for Mesa, and gave up two runs on three hits and two walks over four innings. Nick Struck picked up the win in relief. On Tuesday, Mesa plays host to Surprise at HoHoKam Park. First pitch scheduled for 12:35 p.m. MT.

* In the Dominican Republic, Junior Lake was 3-for-4 with three doubles and one RBI for Estrellas de Oriente in a 6-4 loss to Gigantes on Monday. Lake, who was batting .310, started at third and switched to shortstop.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw the Lake game. He's really fun to watch swing the bat but I still think he outgrows SS and ends up on third.

Hope he has enough power and offense to stick at 3B then.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Prospectus Released Top 10 prospects for Cubs today.

Biggest shocks:
Almora over Baez
Vogelbach over Jackson
Villanueva down at #9