Hail Szczur: Official Cubs Prospects and Off-season Leagues Thread

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Neither of these Cuabn guys are ready to be in the big leagues as far as I've heard. The workout that was supposed to be the fifth has apparently been pushed back to the end of the month, but Diaz turns 23 tomorrow I believe so he could sign anytime after that point without worrying about the signing bonus pool.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Neither of these Cuabn guys are ready to be in the big leagues as far as I've heard. The workout that was supposed to be the fifth has apparently been pushed back to the end of the month, but Diaz turns 23 tomorrow I believe so he could sign anytime after that point without worrying about the signing bonus pool.

Diaz is big league ready from all the scouting reports I have read. I mean I guess he could start in triple A but he will get a major league deal and probably a guaranteed role on a big league club. I dont know if he wants to play 3B but Im guessing the FO will pitch the chance to play everyday with relatively no competition, but he projects as a + defender at SS and for that alone he could start for 3-8 teams.

If we do sign him for 3B im guessing we cut Ian since his deal isnt guaranteed if he doesn't make the team.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Just noticed no Villanueva on BA list... neither he nor Szczur had terrible seasons, but both fall from being on the Top 100 list to not on the team Top 10

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just noticed no Villanueva on BA list... neither he nor Szczur had terrible seasons, but both fall from being on the Top 100 list to not on the team Top 10

That's good news too. How much the depth of the minors has improved. The #10 guy in the list surprised me.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
That's good news too. How much the depth of the minors has improved. The #10 guy in the list surprised me.

Still can't believe that you'd never heard of him though, he's not that obscure :lol: Still a reach to put him at #10

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Anyway, the top of the farm is stacked, and here is some notes from Cubs Den (with some info on subscription-only stuff):
Cubs #12 farm system in baseball (still room for improvement, but Dewey seems to think that it is bad, and I agree with this ranking). Top 10 are shown online in another article I found, here's the order: 1. STL, 2. SEA, 3. MIA, 4. TEX, 5. BOS, 6. TB, 7. MIN, 8. PIT, 9. ARI, 10. HOU. Most agree that our farm doesn't have enough impact players, but our main impact players that do exist are really damn good (see below), and we have a ton of depth.
Callis said that he'd currently rank Baez #11 in baseball, and that Soler, Almora, and Baez are almost interchangeable in order, so expect them all in the teens or twenties, thirties at the absolute lowest.
Rest of Cubs Den analysis: http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2013/01/baseball-america-cubs-top-10-prospects/

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still can't believe that you'd never heard of him though, he's not that obscure :lol: Still a reach to put him at #10
He is only not obscure if you avidly read Goldstein, BA, Sickels, etc. He got a ton of press recently, and this seems like a typical BA type pick placing Alcantara at 10. That said he is far from a well known name.

EROCK23

Liked Posts:
Im a little surprised Sczur isnt on the list. Im reallhy excited with what he can do. Maybe all he is at best is a exciting player. I know he will at least be that. Im excited for his career. Im also interested in what they do with Vogelbach. Obviously a trade looks most likely but I wonder what they will get in return for a bad defender and a powerful bat.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im a little surprised Sczur isnt on the list. Im reallhy excited with what he can do. Maybe all he is at best is a exciting player. I know he will at least be that. Im excited for his career. Im also interested in what they do with Vogelbach. Obviously a trade looks most likely but I wonder what they will get in return for a bad defender and a powerful bat.

To be honest Szczur dropping out of BA's list isn't shocking for a couple of reasons. One BA has a history of being a more scout driven publication and typically the throw guys into their top 100 predicting a break out season for them based on tools. Szczur didn't have a bad season last year, but he didn't exactly break out either. The other factor is the increased depth in the farm system which pushed Szczur out of the top 10 list. Szczur is still an interesting prospect, but the luster is fading as he gets older and the power/baseball instincts don't develop like people were hoping.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Callis has Szczur as a 4th OF for his career, that could be the main reason.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Callis has Szczur as a 4th OF for his career, that could be the main reason.

That's not the reason, that coincides with it. He is ranked off the list and projected as a 4th OF for the same reason, but neither is the reason for the other.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Muskat:

Also, there was a report on Thursday that Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro plans to play for Escogido, but does need to get permission from the Cubs front office. Escogido is 7-4 and tied with Aguilas for first in the round-robin playoffs.

Oooh, he wants to win :cubstroll: