Hail Szczur: Official Cubs Prospects and Off-season Leagues Thread

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if fans will understand what the Cubs did here.

As in, he's probably not going to be a real factor until 2014.

They basically were looking for bargain basement relievers that they could turn into a short-term asset that would eventually be flipped for a longer-term asset, is the general idea I'm getting.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs have agreed to sign South Korean right-handed reliever Chang-Yong Lim, reports Yonhap News. The split contract is worth up to $5MM at the big league level, and it includes an interpreter and a personal trainer.

Lim, 36, is currently rehabbing from his second Tommy John surgery, and the Cubs don't expect him back until 2014. Roughly a half-dozen clubs made contract offers, including the Red Sox and Rangers.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/cubs-agree-to-sign-chang-yong-lim.html

It sounds very much like the Cubs expect him to be part of the team when healthy in 2014, and 2014 may be about when they're targeting a run at semi-mediocrity and/or contention. This wasn't a deal for the coming season but looking towards the future.

Basically, what Roobz was implying.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
News about some random Cuban guys:

Cuban prospects Aledmys Diaz and Dariel Alvarez are working out in Mexicali, Mexico and will audition for scouts on January 5th, a source tells Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com (on Twitter). Alvarez, a 24-year-old outfielder, and 22-year-old shortstop Diaz were profiled by Sanchez in November.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#dHmJxUqbYvDXI7Qd.99

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I miseed the VSL Cubs news... wondering if we'll still have 2 DSL teams. VSL may be on verge of folding soon due to lack of teams.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
K, looks like no 2nd DSL anymore, that really sucks. Much rather have 2 in the DSL, due to instability in Venezuela. Do we even have a complex there? Doesn't seem like the best move when we could have two teams in the same state-of-the-art complex but now have one there and one in an assumed dump.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Then again, not many teams can tell Venezuelan prospects that they can say in their country before coming to the states, big negotation ploy.i

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
From this article:

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-...o-watch-for-in-2013?blockID=819105&feedID=661

Sean Manaea: The Cubs have to be right on the second overall pick in the June draft. A desperate need for pitching could lead them to the Indiana State left-hander, who dominated the Cape Cod League last summer, going 5-1 with a 1.22 ERA and notching 85 strikeouts in 51-plus innings. You will read about Mark Appel, but why would the Cubs take the Stanford right-hander at No. 2 if they passed on him last year with the sixth pick? Arkansas right-hander Ryne Stanek should be on the radar, or the Cubs could grab a high school outfielder with a high ceiling, like they did with Almora. The big question will be what the Astros do with the No. 1 pick.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know you don't draft need, but you have to go SP with the #2 overall pick.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know you don't draft need, but you have to go SP with the #2 overall pick.

I think he's more wondering which pitcher the Cubs are likely to take, contingent on what the Astros decide to do.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but he did bring they could go OF. That's why I said that. Also, I can't see the Cubs going with that 1st guy. I didn't look up his stats, but his stats are like RP stats. It's a very small sample size, and the scouts would have their work cut out if they do go him.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
That again depends on what the Astros do. The Cubs have to take someone at #2 or lose out on a player and a year of development, which means they have to figure out who is most likely to sign.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Yeah, but he did bring they could go OF. That's why I said that. Also, I can't see the Cubs going with that 1st guy. I didn't look up his stats, but his stats are like RP stats. It's a very small sample size, and the scouts would have their work cut out if they do go him.

:obama:

So because one writer decides to bring up his Cape Cod League stats and not his regular NCAA stats, the Cubs don't have a large enough sample size to deal with? Seriously? Pretty much has the same sample size as any other pitcher we can draft. :smh:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
:obama:

So because one writer decides to bring up his Cape Cod League stats and not his regular NCAA stats, the Cubs don't have a large enough sample size to deal with? Seriously? Pretty much has the same sample size as any other pitcher we can draft. :smh:
You are right that this is far from the only information available on this guy, but it is these numbers that has put him on the radar as a potential top 10 pick.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I told you I didn't look up his stats and if they only go by those, that's a small sample size. But if there is more, then go for it.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I told you I didn't look up his stats and if they only go by those, that's a small sample size. But if there is more, then go for it.

Those are the stats that the writer elected to write about, I'm pretty sure the scouts would have seen his other performances and the analysts would dig up more data than that :D