Hail Szczur: Official Cubs Prospects and Off-season Leagues Thread

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
This FanGraphs article looks at six prospects who aren't on the level of Wil Myers, but could still be valuable assets to teams looking to build minor league depth:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/six-prospects-to-target-in-winter-meeting-trades/

I posted this because they mentioned Rhee:

Dae-Eun Rhee, RHP, Chicago Cubs
If you look solely at Rhee’s professional statistics you’d probably think me mad for including him on this report. But after watching him pitch on a number of occasions, he continues to fascinate me as a prospect that should be much more successful than he’s been – and I can’t help but think that there’s a pitching coach out there that could help unlock his potential. Rhee, 23, is tall and lanky. He shows good balance over the rubber and has a high 3/4 arm slot with smooth mechanics. He also works quickly – perhaps too quickly at times.

The downfall for the pitcher, though, is his lack of command. When I watched him pitch he was struggling to command both his fastball and his curveball, which was slow and loopy. He had good movement on his fastball, which can touch 93 mph, and it was cutting down and in on right-handed hitters. His best pitch was a tumbling splitter that helps him induce an above-average number of ground balls. He lacks swing-and-miss stuff and gets into a lot of trouble when he elevates the ball due to inconsistent mechanics.

While watching him, I was confused by the pitch sequences being used. He utilized the below-average curveball a lot and I hope it was by design in an effort to help him improve the pitch. In a perfect world, Rhee would have established – and pitched off of – his fastball. I would also like to see him use his splitter more, but it’s difficult when he’s not getting into a favorable count to use it. I’m definitely conflicted on Rhee. I can’t help but think that there is a ton of potential locked inside him but the results have been disappointing, pretty much for his entire career – including his trip to the Arizona Fall League after the 2012 season.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I always liked Rhee, but he is maddening with his lack of control. Splitter has always been his best pitch, and his velocity came back a couple of years ago that should have brought better results. Hopefully it comes together.

Last edited:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Muskat:

Michael Bowden gave up one run on five hits and two walks over seven innings, striking out five, as Aguilas beat Licey in the Dominican Republic on Sunday. Bowden is 3-2 with a 3.25 ERA in six starts so far with 17 strikeouts over 27 2/3 innings.

Pretty good numbers so far. Guess that would be your emergency starter.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Mooney:
B. Jackson visited #Cubs complex in AZ and Sveum says he's made "huge, huge strides" and "completely overhauled his swing." Still in OF mix.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
It really is great news. I was debating whether to keep him ahead of Vogelbach or now, but it was just so close all things considered that anything could give one or the other the edge.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vogelbach has age and power but hasn't technically done anything yet since he's not even at Single-A yet. Brett Jackson has the tools, he just has to stop striking out 95% of the time :lol: I think it's a rather easy call to be honest.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Vogelbach has age and power but hasn't technically done anything yet since he's not even at Single-A yet. Brett Jackson has the tools, he just has to stop striking out 95% of the time :lol: I think it's a rather easy call to be honest.

Sickels had Vogelbach ahead. Propectus had Jackson ahead.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I would still put Jackson ahead but it's tight.

I want to see the new swing before I put any weight behind it.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Apropos of nothing:

tumblr_mekzj6GhuC1qzeh82o1_500.jpg

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jeff knows...something.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
It seems like one of those photographs for the yearbook.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
But...can Jeff do this?

[video=youtube;8PBvOxicz-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0[/video]

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Law was always down on Jackson and I don't think anyone is really that high on Vitters anymore despite a relatively decent AAA campaign at a young age.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought the Cubs already had a VSL team, but maybe I was just confusing it with the fact that the Cubs operate two DSL teams. Either way the Cubs are certainly committing a lot of resources to player development like they said they would.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I wonder if fans will understand what the Cubs did here.

As in, he's probably not going to be a real factor until 2014.