Hail Szczur: Official Cubs Prospects and Off-season Leagues Thread

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I told you I didn't look up his stats and if they only go by those, that's a small sample size. But if there is more, then go for it.
As Rice said there is more, but these are the first time his numbers have screamed elite pitcher. Part of it is the level competition and the fact that it is considered a hitters league. Scouts I am sure have seen this guy before, and I am sure the Cubs have a good feel for the guy by this point in time. This upcoming season will have a lot to say about who goes where because high school and college seasons have yet to start.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs would like to go college with the #2 pick, but will not reach to go that way. If high school is up there, they will go that way and are not afraid to go high school. Baez and Almora are great examples.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
That again depends on signability. With the #2 pick you have more money but you also have a kid and his agent who knows that the team has the money to blow. So you are going to have to tailor the rest of the draft towards signing that kid, or risk losing that kid and then getting the #3 pick the following season (while also losing the use of that slot's money). It's a weird game to play these days.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
FWIW, the Cape Cod is a pitching heavy environment so you have to keep that in mind when you look at the numbers.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
FWIW, the Cape Cod is a pitching heavy environment so you have to keep that in mind when you look at the numbers.

I thought that was the case as well since it is a wood bat league isn't it? But everything that I've read on that arm has suggested that the league is hitter friendly.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I thought that was the case as well since it is a wood bat league isn't it? But everything that I've read on that arm has suggested that the league is hitter friendly.

IIRC both the Cod and the Florida State League are both pitcher friendly, it doesn't mean that an impressive showing should be written off but it does mean that scouting should take precedence over the numbers when it comes to pitchers IMO.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Am I wrong that it is a wood bat league?

And I know the Florida State and Southern League are pitcher friendly leagues.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Am I wrong that it is a wood bat league?

And I know the Florida State and Southern League are pitcher friendly leagues.

Nope it's wood bats.

Generally speaking hitter stats are more worth noting than pitcher stats. It's an extremely difficult league and a really good first test.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nope it's wood bats.

Generally speaking hitter stats are more worth noting than pitcher stats. It's an extremely difficult league and a really good first test.

Right I thought that league was known for if a hitter put up huge numbers being a big deal because it is with wood bats. The only time I've heard of the Cape Cod League referred to as a hitters' league has been with this draft pick.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
From Anno re: the Cuban dudes:

Gordon Wittenmeyer reports: Cubs one of several teams interested in Cuban defector/SS Aldemys Diaz (23 Tuesday), exempt from signing limits.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Prospects list is interesting at the end, Johnson seems to be highly praised too.

Love it that we're pursuing Diaz.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Roobs says he's the better of the two available Cuban guys. Not sure of the timetable but I imagine they'd want to sign them within a month or two so they can see them in instructionals and spring training?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
^By far the better of the two

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Sounds like someone should do a scouting report or something on these Cuban dudes :cubstroll2:

Maybe as more info comes out I can do something, I know only enough to say which one is significantly better than the other, and somewhat get a feel for where they'd rank with the Cubs farm.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
bet we sign him and he is our opening day 3B man

IAN STEWART WILL KILL YOU!

140952640_crop_exact.jpg

:troll: