Has anyone poached workers from old job(s)?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Woo hoo!

I'm getting the Okuma.

millac_852v.jpg

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
Is that the more expensive but matched offered machine?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, much higher quality, built to last.

Weighs around 8000 pounds more than alternative of similar size.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
You need to make an Indianhead out of solid metal

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hmmm....I may have a source to laser cut me a steel indianhead. Someone else would have to lay out the lines and paint it though, not my thing.

So many ups and downs at work.

HUGE DOWN - My 2nd shift underling is back in jail for not paying his fines. We are firing him, maybe not if he gets work release.

I am so bummed, I spent lots of time "training" him, I only used quotes because the kid was the real deal and pretty much knew the job right away. Now all the workload is dumped back onto me and I have to try to hire another guy. I was so lucky to get the kid I am losing now. No time to train anyone!!!!

Nearly $500k worth of awesome stuff on the way for me and boss to lay out and set up.

Might have to go back to 2nd shift for a couple weeks while boss does layout, I work, kid sits in jail.

I miss hockey games then and have to watch after work.

HUGE UP - My vacation time reloads next weekend. Thought I had half a day to burn next week. Nope! I have 4.5 days, so I am off all next week!

CNC guy #1 - on vacation, #2, in jail, likely fired, #3 is on it now. Baptism by fire! But I think he will be ok.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My new beast machine is due to arrive at 7 am!

In five big crates, on two semis.

Fucks up my routine of running parts and being left alone while I listen to books and such, but I'm not gonna complain.

Work might send me to STL for a week for training. Don't know if, or when, or even where (my boss confuses Joliet & Rockford, for example, might be Indy for all I know).

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
So, training for the machine is only in shit holes?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For this company I guess. They won't send me to Tokyo, I did ask.

At least I won't have to go to shithole Rockford or Peoria.

Today was lots of standing around and watching them unload this beast. Also watching how everyone is amazed at how massive this thing is.

It took about 6 hours to get it off the truck (with a crane) onto rollers, pushed about 150 feet, rotated and set down.

That is just the base and spindle. It isn't even put together by a third yet.

While others were in awe of size, I was getting a good look at it while the coverings were all off and she was naked.

Oh so beautiful, I don't know if I have ever seen anything so well built. (in CNC world at least)

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMG_20130320_082555_zps2dd5d67e.jpg

Fuzzy pic of her naked.

The little green thing behind the huge metal crate on the right is what we are upgrading from.

I really like some of the odd translations from Japanese on warning labels and such too.

"Don't be locked in machine!"

"In danger of being caught. Insert no part of your body."

I'm sure there are more, most of the damn thing isn't even unwrapped yet.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
I am just as excited as you, and I dont even know what it is. I mean, I kinda know, but still.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Got my old beast back together and running today.

One of the main pains of my job is keeping coolant on my tools. That requires adjusting these 3 little 3/8 inch flex hoses almost every time my machine changes tools (usually several times per cycle).

The "cheap" machine we almost got has some similar coolant lines and a small line that is programmable to aim at appropriate points for each tool.

This new beast?

Looks like I have three 1" coolant hoses and 6 more smaller lines all around the spindle for a massive flood of coolant. No need to aim when you can just flood and hit everything. (those 6 other lines are probably programmable too)

Coolant pumps right through the tool itself right into cutting edge on this bitch too.

I did find the box that had all of the books in it though.

HOE

LEE

SHIT!

It is along the lines of going from a 1999 Ford Taurus to a new Bentley, and getting paid to make her sing.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
It's so adorable how excited you are

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Man, I love CNC stuff even though I've never worked on one. I can't believe I missed this thread somehow.

Do you do any side jobs making small parts?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, we are far too busy making our products that we can't do side jobs. We farm a lot of stuff out now actually.

Some funny warning labels I got pics of today:

IMG_20130322_120910_zpsf52f4a1f.jpg

IMG_20130322_122620_zps7528fed7.jpg

The 2nd pic doesn't use the words, but I think it says, "Learn to read Japanese."

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My main poaching target got fired from his shitty job working for hick dirt farmers today!

He was on his way to drunk celebrating when I heard from him about it.

I really really want him to come work with me.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
That is some nice Engrish there... Looks like none of that 400k went to translation services. I love it.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
Im a big fan.

My sister and her man got my folks a backyard swing for a gift. I helped him assemble it and the directions were awesome. "Handle with cave, do not dvop" I guess they fucked up their R and V's. Hilarious none the less.