"Help Us Kevin Love, You're Our Only Hope" (ChicagoNow Article)

Chi-Town Brahma

Liked Posts:
"Help Us Kevin Love, You're Our Only Hope"
(ChicagoNow.com article)

At the beginning of the seasons, Bulls fans were once again looking for a star player who might want out and become a trade target later on in the season. LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Love were the two options that seemed most likely. Then a funny thing happened, the trailblazers became one of the best teams in the west.

Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Love seem like the only two disgruntled stars out there, and there's little point in trading for Carmelo Anthony right before he becomes a free agent. Kevin Love however? There's a possibility there. Kevin Love is pissed at his teammates lack of intensity, the Timberwolves losing ways and never making the playoffs.

The Timberwolves will be forced to trade Love sooner rather than later if they want to maximize their value on the return. While a move at the trade deadline when they have a chance to make the playoffs and possibly turn things around is a stretch, a move this summer if they fall apart seems quite plausible.

Love would have just one more year left before he can opt out, and teams are more likely to give up value for a guy with a season left on his contract rather than a guy who may immediately bolt in free agency afterwards.

The Bulls will conveniently have Carlos Boozer's expiring deal to match Kevin Love's salary quite closely. The Bulls have plenty of sweeteners to make a trade. They have their own draft picks, 2 additional first rounders (Kings, Hornets), or some decent role players (Gibson, Butler). Some combination of those assets seems plausible to get a deal done if Minnesota decides it's time to rebuild.

In any situation like this, Kevin Love will have some power to help direct his next location. If he sends a negative vibe to the team trading for him, saying it's unlikely he'll resign in a year and a half then he may be able to veto a trade. Chicago seems like the exact type of destination that might interest him.

It gets him into the weaker Eastern conference, a team of hard working individuals, and a genuine shot to win the title. IF the trade could be completed with just picks, the Bulls would be left with something like:

PG: Rose, Augustin
SG: Butler, Snell
SF: Dunleavy,
PF: Love, Gibson, Mirotic
C: Noah

They might possibly ask Mirotic to wait another year (which I believe would end his massive buyout penalty) and instead use that money to fill in one more wing spot for the team. They'd also have the option of bringing back Kirk Hinrich to help fill in at PG/SG as a reserve guy who could swing between those positions.

The team would finally have the inside out star power that they'd hoped Carlos Boozer would provide but didn't. On top of that, Kevin Love could stretch defenses out to the three point line with his shooting allowing a far more dangerous offensive assault and plenty more room for Derrick Rose to drive.

Of course, Mirotic might have to go in the deal, and quite honestly, he might develop into the type of player who gives you a Kevin Love impact all by himself. That said, the Bulls need a shot creator and natural scorer. It's tough to evaluate how European players translate into that role in the NBA simply because the athletic bar to create in the NBA is so much higher and the European game plays so differently.

Mirotic is a tremendous player in Europe, a case could be made that he's the best player in Europe. He's shooting 60% from the three point line in Euroleague this season (though only 32% in the ACB league). His combined percentages from the two leagues still come out to around 58% from the field and 50% from the three point line.

His shot volume and scoring totals are fairly low though, representing the style of European basketball. He averages just over 14 points per game. It'd be a shame to give him up, but if you're serious about running with Derrick Rose, getting Kevin Love is a guy worth taking the chance on. He's also the player who might have enough upside to get Minnesota to do the deal.

Kevin Love is one of those guys the Bulls obviously need. He's a guy who looks likely to demand out soon. Our team looks like a place that'd be good for him to land, and we have the assets to make a reasonable offer for him in trade. It doesn't mean Minnesota will decide to move Love. Their best interest might be to try and put it together one more year and convince him to stay.

It doesn't mean some other team won't trump the Bulls offer, who knows what else is out there? However, a Kevin Love trade looks like one of the things where everyone's interests could be satisfied with a trade. If so, the prime time to make a move would be on draft day this year. http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-bulls-confidential/2014/01/help-us-kevin-love-youre-our-only-hope/

Well, anybody would like adding Kevin Love to their roster. Everyone's thoughts on the reality (or there lack of..) of a possible trade for him?

Discuss. :thinking:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't see it happening. Though I'd jump at any Boozer, (3 first rounders) for Love type trade.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
I've argued 2 years (another board) for the addition of Kevin Love to our Bulls team. Harden was my top available choice, with Love (Always knew he was leaving the T-Wolves) coming in as the number 2 available choice.

He's absolutely the best big man to pair with Rose. His elite outside shooting would create precious space inside for Rose. They could take turns playing an inside/outside game. It would be beautiful to watch.

Also, imagine Love & Noah on the glass together. We would dominate every team in the rebounding department.

Chi-Town Brahma

Liked Posts:
No doubt! A combo of Love/Noah would be one of the hardest working & toughest front court duos in the league. It would be cool, but who knows if it would ever develop into a legit trade situation. Love seems like someone who wouldn't mind playing in Chicago with Rose & Noah.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
No doubt! A combo of Love/Noah would be one of the hardest working & toughest front court duos in the league. It would be cool, but who knows if it would ever develop into a legit trade situation. Love seems like someone who wouldn't mind playing in Chicago with Rose & Noah.
Just like Melo during the Denver/NY trade, Love will have the power to choose his trade destination. The closer that it gets to next season's deadline, the more leverage he gets by threatening to only sign an extension with certain teams.

IMHO, our biggest threat is the Lakers. Although Love & Rose are good friends, Love is from Cali.

It's a toss-up between Chicago & LA.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Just like Melo during the Denver/NY trade, Love will have the power to choose his trade destination. The closer that it gets to next season's deadline, the more leverage he gets by threatening to only sign an extension with certain teams.

IMHO, our biggest threat is the Lakers. Although Love & Rose are good friends, Love is from Cali.

In that case, he'll probably go to Cali.

Chi-Town Brahma

Liked Posts:

True. Hope he would choose our younger core of Rose & Noah over anything LA would have left at the time. We get it. It's the LA Lakers who normally get whatever they want when they want. Can only hope he'd take the Bulls over the Lakers in this situation.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now, Love would be good with DRose. Carmelo was a horrible idea. Also, I think bulls fans need to hope that Rose kind of changes his game. He isnt going to be able to the rack as powerful anymore and it would make his career last a whole lot longer. I said since Rose came in this league that he will not last long in the NBA if he doesnt evolve his game.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
I hope you're wrong, man.

True. Hope he would choose our younger core of Rose & Noah over anything LA would have left at the time. We get it. It's the LA Lakers who normally get whatever they want when they want. Can only hope he'd take the Bulls over the Lakers in this situation.
The Lakers will have a lot of money after this season, but something tells me that we finally have the inside track on "disgruntled superstars" & free-agents. It seems to me that GarPax have a lot of confidence right now. I'm thinking that they know something we don't.

I am critical of them, but I think they have a plan now. I'm gonna trust them.

Chi-Town Brahma

Liked Posts:
The Lakers will have a lot of money after this season, but something tells me that we finally have the inside track on "disgruntled superstars" & free-agents. It seems to me that GarPax have a lot of confidence right now. I'm thinking that they know something we don't.

I am critical of them, but I think they have a plan now.

Hope you're the one who's guessing the situation right. Cause until otherwise I have almost no faith in GarPax to get anything else done. They have to prove it to the fanbase that they are seriously pushing to make a difference. I'm praying on some more moves by them. Good aggressive moves. Not their trademark normal nothing or even passive moves.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
hes has talked highly of the Bulls in the past and is really good friends with Derrick...im sure Chicago is on his list

and i remember hearing something about how Rose-Westbrook-Love talked about joining up one day

however that could happen in LA :( both Love/Russy are from Cali and Rose loves it there

ChicagoGr

Liked Posts:
He's the one player I want to see in a bulls jersey more than anyone else. He's EXACTLY what the bulls need.
Boozer and 2-first rounders, I'd take that(I guess the Wolves wouldn't though)

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
He's the one player I want to see in a bulls jersey more than anyone else. He's EXACTLY what the bulls need.
Boozer and 2-first rounders, I'd take that(I guess the Wolves wouldn't though)

yeah they prob would want something like Jimmy+Nikola+Picks

Chi-Town Brahma

Liked Posts:

Interestingly enough the article states that Boozer's contract & Love's contract match up relatively close. So throwing in a couple picks & maybe dumping Teague would be nice. lol

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Interestingly enough the article states that Boozer's contract & Love's contract match up relatively close. So throwing in a couple picks & maybe dumping Teague would be nice. lol

well boozer might be involed to make the cap work but im sure they are gonna want more than just 2 picks and d-league teague for love

ChicagoGr

Liked Posts:

Honestly, I'd consider a deal like that too. I love Jimmy but he hasn't progressed at all this year, he is a very useful player though.
And I've watched Mirotic play a lot this year, he is an amazing player but we just don't know if he'll be just as good in the NBA.

The salaries don't match though, surely?

Saluki

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I'd consider a deal like that too. I love Jimmy but he hasn't progressed at all this year, he is a very useful player though.
And I've watched Mirotic play a lot this year, he is an amazing player but we just don't know if he'll be just as good in the NBA.

The salaries don't match though, surely?

Nikola's salary can be pretty much whatever they want i think. I believe its been long enough since he was drafted that he's no longer restricted by the rookie wage scale.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He is our only hope and it's precisely for that reason that unless we can trade for him, he'll pick somewhere else. Because no one comes here willingly it seems like. :hitler:

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes

Love is from Oregon. Not sure how many people claim a state they only spent the first year of their life in except on their birth certificate. I was born in Florida and I can't stand that shit hole of a state.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Love is from Oregon. Not sure how many people claim a state they only spent the first year of their life in except on their birth certificate. I was born in Florida and I can't stand that shit hole of a state.

He DID play college ball @ UCLA, albeit only for a year...but I think that's what the poster was referring to.