Help Wanted: Ebonics linguist/tranlater.....

bubbleheadchief

Liked Posts:
Saw this earlier today. Needless to say, we laughed our asses off at work. Where do you get a degree or how do you verify proficiency level? For the military there is a written and spoken test to verify language proficiency. All I could thnk of was the movie Airplane, and Mrs Cleaver translating into "Jive" for the two gentlemen.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="bubbleheadchief"]Saw this earlier today. Needless to say, we laughed our asses off at work. Where do you get a degree or how do you verify proficiency level? For the military there is a written and spoken test to verify language proficiency. All I could thnk of was the movie Airplane, and Mrs Cleaver translating into "Jive" for the two gentlemen.[/quote]

That article cited a University professor who offered some insight...

John R. Rickford, a Stanford University professor of linguistics, has described it as “Black English” and noted that “Ebonics pronunciation includes features like the omission of the final consonant in words like ‘past’ (pas’ ) and ‘hand’ (han’), the pronunciation of the th in ‘bath’ as t (bat) or f (baf), and the pronunciation of the vowel in words like ‘my’ and ‘ride’ as a long ah (mah, rahd).”

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Peep dis yo, I be causin all kindz of a calamity up in dis motha fucka cuz RK be preaching at me ta holla at another thread with my trainwreckedness....

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]Peep dis yo, I be causin all kindz of a calamity up in dis motha fucka cuz RK be preaching at me ta holla at another thread with my trainwreckedness....[/quote]

Word.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[quote name="BlackhawkPaul"]

Word.[/quote]

Yes, admittedly it was one of the worst displays of Ebonics ever, but I think it go the point across.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="winos5"]

That article cited a University professor who offered some insight...

John R. Rickford, a Stanford University professor of linguistics, has described it as “Black English” and noted that “Ebonics pronunciation includes features like the omission of the final consonant in words like ‘past’ (pas’ ) and ‘hand’ (han’), the pronunciation of the th in ‘bath’ as t (bat) or f (baf), and the pronunciation of the vowel in words like ‘my’ and ‘ride’ as a long ah (mah, rahd).”[/quote]

Many Haitians speak Creole, not French, which is probably similar to Ebonic English.

According to wiki:

"Ebonics is a term that was originally intended to refer to the language of all people descended from Black African slaves, particularly in West Africa, the Caribbean, and North America. Over time, and especially since 1996, it has been used more often to refer to African American Vernacular English (distinctively nonstandard Black United States English), asserting the independence of this from (standard) English. The term became widely known in the U.S. in 1996 due to a controversy over its use by the Oakland School Board.

What is claimed to be the initial mention of "Ebonics" was made by the psychologist[1] Robert Williams in a discussion with linguist Ernie Smith (as well as other language scholars and researchers) that took place in a conference on "Cognitive and Language Development of the Black Child", held in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1973. In 1975, the term appeared within the title and text of a book edited and co-written by Williams, Ebonics: The True Language of Black Folks. Williams there explains it:

A two-year-old term created by a group of black scholars, Ebonics may be defined as "the linguistic and paralinguistic features which on a concentric continuum represent the communicative competence of the West African, Caribbean, and United States slave descendant of African origin. It includes the various idioms, patois, argots, idiolects, and social dialects of black people" especially those who have adapted to colonial circumstances. Ebonics derives its form from ebony (black) and phonics (sound, the study of sound) and refers to the study of the language of black people in all its cultural uniqueness."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebonics

JOVE23

Liked Posts:
[quote name="bubbleheadchief"]Saw this earlier today. Needless to say, we laughed our asses off at work. Where do you get a degree or how do you verify proficiency level? For the military there is a written and spoken test to verify language proficiency. All I could thnk of was the movie Airplane, and Mrs Cleaver translating into "Jive" for the two gentlemen.[/quote]

What it is, Big Momma? My Momma didn't raise no dummy! I dug her rap!

Kerfuffle

Liked Posts:
Ebonics is the politically correct term for speaking 'jive'. The funny thing is about 5 years ago a school district in Oakland, CA actually made Ebonics part of their curriculum and hired "teachers" for the program.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]Peep dis yo, I be causin all kindz of a calamity up in dis motha fucka cuz RK be preaching at me ta holla at another thread with my trainwreckedness....[/quote]

Stop being sober!

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Kerfuffle"]Ebonics is the politically correct term for speaking 'jive'. The funny thing is about 5 years ago a school district in Oakland, CA actually made Ebonics part of their curriculum and hired "teachers" for the program.[/quote]

It was 14 years ago. The term "Ebonics" has been around since 1973, well before the term "politically correct" came into vogue.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[quote name="Mikita's Helmet"]

It was 14 years ago. The term "Ebonics" has been around since 1973, well before the term "politically correct" came into vogue.[/quote]

Yeah I have friends who took ebonics in college 10 years ago

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]

Yeah I have friends who took ebonics in college 10 years ago[/quote]

Did they go to Harvard?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Did they go to Harvard?[/quote]

IU

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]

IU[/quote]

Really? I thought you were jivin me.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Really? I thought you were jivin me.[/quote]

Nah man, fo shizzle.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

It was 14 years ago. The term "Ebonics" has been around since 1973, well before the term "politically correct" came into vogue.[/quote]

Hold up. So you mean Italian, French, Portugese, and Spanish aren't the politically correct terms for speaking/teaching/learning "Vulgar Latin" then? Damn it.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="bookjones"]

Hold up. So you mean Italian, French, Portugese, and Spanish aren't the politically correct terms for speaking/teaching/learning "Vulgar Latin" then? Damn it.[/quote]

Did you mean Portuguese?

Myself, I prefer the nomenclature "Romance languages."

!Me cae bien a comer flan con un tazita de cafe cubano!

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Did you mean Portuguese?

Myself, I prefer the nomenclature "Romance languages."

!Me cae bien a comer flan con un tazita de cafe cubano![/quote]

Mais naturellement mon ami, j'ai voulu dire "Portugeuese"---merci pour le crochet!

Vulgar Latin, gutter Latin, Romance languages, whatevs. . .it's all semantics. :lol:

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="bookjones"]Mais naturellement mon ami, j'ai voulu dire "Portugeuese"---merci pour le crochet[/quote]

De rien, mon petit oiseaux.