Hiestand on Whitehair snapping issues and James Daniels

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...-cody-whitehair-snap-james-daniels-will-start

One of the top offseason discussions surrounding the Chicago Bears was when rookie James Daniels, their second-round center from Iowa, would take over as their starting center. After the draft, the Bears talked about him playing left guard, and that was where he was playing most of OTAs, but an injury to a teammate led to Daniels getting more reps at center.

I thought he looked pretty good in his limited preseason time at his more comfortable center spot, but it wasn’t good enough to take Cody Whitehair’s job as the starting center according to head coach Matt Nagy and offensive line coach Harry Hiestand. Even though Whitehair struggled with a few bad snaps during camp, the Bears valued the experience Whitehair had.

The Bears eventually found more time for Daniels to battle for a starting job at left guard against Eric Kush, but Kush won that job for week 1.

Just before the season, it came out that the reason the 20-year old Daniels wasn’t ready to start was more mental than physical. The Bears weren’t comfortable with his grasp of the fronts he’d be seeing in the NFL, and where the blitzes would likely be coming from. Before this revelation I was squarely in the play-the-kid camp, but if he’s not quite ready to recognize what he’s seeing, then I’m fine with easing him into the lineup when he’s ready.

Chicago’s o-line coach is one of the best in the business, and Coach Hiestand recently talked about Whitehair and Daniels with Colleen Kane from the Chicago Tribune.

Offensive line coach Harry Hiestand on Cody Whitehair’s snapping inconsistencies, which included a high shotgun snap in Sunday’s game. Whitehair has switched to a “dead snap” technique in the shotgun to help his consistency:

“Anytime it’s not what it should be, it’s technique. But there are also the anxious moments. The pressure, the type of game it was, being on the road and the silent cadence, all the things he had to deal with. He’s got to get them there. That’s part of the game. We want to eliminate those obviously.”

“It’s hard. Coach (Matt Nagy) talks about being obsessed to be the best. I can’t tell you how many times he snapped between the spring and then the middle of training camp. We were really struggling, and we switched the technique. … As a staff, we were looking for answers. I forget who brought up the dead snap, with the hand on top, and we decided to give it a shot. He has done well with it.”
If the snapping issues continue, they may be forced to make a change. If Whitehair does move to left guard, it shouldn’t be looked at like a demotion. He’s one of their best o-linemen, and I think he’ll thrive at that spot.

Hiestand on what rookie guard/center James Daniels needs to do before he can start:

“He’s on a good progression. You have a big difference between college football and the NFL, and he’s learning that. He’s learning how to play in the system we have, and we’re really pleased with his progression.”

“Consistency is the main thing. Consistent blocker in both run and pass, make good decisions and be fundamentally sound.”
Whether at guard or center, I think Daniels is one of their best five offensive linemen once he has the mental side of things down. I think by mid-season, at the very latest, we’ll see him running out with the first string.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
On a side note, Kush had a pretty good game.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
14 snaps that I would call off target.

Yes, and considering this has been going on for so long, and being worked on without any progress, the sooner we have somebody else snapping the ball the better. He can play guard, he cannot play center like this.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But Whitehair is learning a new offensive system with new protections and a new snapping technique. It is going to time. At least that is what people saying with Trubs.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But Whitehair is learning a new offensive system with new protections and a new snapping technique. It is going to time. At least that is what people saying with Trubs.

You are not really going there.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why not? At the end of the day everyone is paid to do a job. These kid gloves for Trubs but everyone else in a new system learning new techniques need to get it right away seems odd.

Is Whitehair not learning new protections and a new snap technique? Is it not possible he is getting overwhelmed with all the shit he is responsible for given all the wacky formations and motion?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Daniels had some high snaps in Pre-season also.

Whitehair is simply getting to aggressive with his snaps... and this is not technique it is mental.

Kush had a good game , and if the Daniels never sees the field all season it will likely mean the line is working well.

I'm just glad that our option is not Grasu if an interior lineman gets hurt, knock, knock, knock....

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...-cody-whitehair-snap-james-daniels-will-start

One of the top offseason discussions surrounding the Chicago Bears was when rookie James Daniels, their second-round center from Iowa, would take over as their starting center. After the draft, the Bears talked about him playing left guard, and that was where he was playing most of OTAs, but an injury to a teammate led to Daniels getting more reps at center.

I thought he looked pretty good in his limited preseason time at his more comfortable center spot, but it wasn’t good enough to take Cody Whitehair’s job as the starting center according to head coach Matt Nagy and offensive line coach Harry Hiestand. Even though Whitehair struggled with a few bad snaps during camp, the Bears valued the experience Whitehair had.

The Bears eventually found more time for Daniels to battle for a starting job at left guard against Eric Kush, but Kush won that job for week 1.

Just before the season, it came out that the reason the 20-year old Daniels wasn’t ready to start was more mental than physical. The Bears weren’t comfortable with his grasp of the fronts he’d be seeing in the NFL, and where the blitzes would likely be coming from. Before this revelation I was squarely in the play-the-kid camp, but if he’s not quite ready to recognize what he’s seeing, then I’m fine with easing him into the lineup when he’s ready.

Chicago’s o-line coach is one of the best in the business, and Coach Hiestand recently talked about Whitehair and Daniels with Colleen Kane from the Chicago Tribune.

Offensive line coach Harry Hiestand on Cody Whitehair’s snapping inconsistencies, which included a high shotgun snap in Sunday’s game. Whitehair has switched to a “dead snap” technique in the shotgun to help his consistency:

“Anytime it’s not what it should be, it’s technique. But there are also the anxious moments. The pressure, the type of game it was, being on the road and the silent cadence, all the things he had to deal with. He’s got to get them there. That’s part of the game. We want to eliminate those obviously.”

“It’s hard. Coach (Matt Nagy) talks about being obsessed to be the best. I can’t tell you how many times he snapped between the spring and then the middle of training camp. We were really struggling, and we switched the technique. … As a staff, we were looking for answers. I forget who brought up the dead snap, with the hand on top, and we decided to give it a shot. He has done well with it.”
If the snapping issues continue, they may be forced to make a change. If Whitehair does move to left guard, it shouldn’t be looked at like a demotion. He’s one of their best o-linemen, and I think he’ll thrive at that spot.

Hiestand on what rookie guard/center James Daniels needs to do before he can start:

“He’s on a good progression. You have a big difference between college football and the NFL, and he’s learning that. He’s learning how to play in the system we have, and we’re really pleased with his progression.”

“Consistency is the main thing. Consistent blocker in both run and pass, make good decisions and be fundamentally sound.”
Whether at guard or center, I think Daniels is one of their best five offensive linemen once he has the mental side of things down. I think by mid-season, at the very latest, we’ll see him running out with the first string.

I trust Hiestand to make the right choices with Whitehair, Daniels and Kush and when Daniels is ready he'll get in their and we'll have a good backup for LG and C with Kush.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Since you're obviously being sarcastic i take it you don't think it takes time for players to adjust when playing in a new system and there shouldn't be any adjustment time at all and they should be at their best right away? Maybe if every player was K.Mack that would be true but not every player is at that level and will ever get to that level so it does take many many players time when playing in a brand new system whether you wanna makes jokes about it or not. I would think that would be common sense but i guess not for everyone.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Since you're obviously being sarcastic i take it you don't think it takes time for players to adjust when playing in a new system and there shouldn't be any adjustment time at all and they should be at their best right away? Maybe if every player was K.Mack that would be true but not every player is at that level and will ever get to that level so it does take many many players time when playing in a brand new system whether you wanna makes jokes about it or not. I would think that would be common sense but i guess not for everyone.

No I agree it takes time. My point is consistency. While it takes time, on a game by game basis I will be critical if people don't do their jobs understanding it is a single game.

What is odd is holding Whitehair to this high standard of he should never have a bad snap while simultaneously giving Trubs all sorts of passes.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No I agree it takes time. My point is consistency. While it takes time, on a game by game basis I will be critical if people don't do their jobs understanding it is a single game.

What is odd is holding Whitehair to this high standard of he should never have a bad snap while simultaneously giving Trubs all sorts of passes.

No. We went into the season knowing that we had major issues with the snap last year. The ball was being snapped all over the place last year, and this is just not allowable. Windy counted 14 bad snaps in that one game alone. There is zero tolerance for bad snaps. That is not in the same league as quarterback development.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
They should put a flap on his ass so it catches all the high snaps and bounces it back low...
FFS make him snap like 500 times a day. It should be muscle memory.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No. We went into the season knowing that we had major issues with the snap last year. The ball was being snapped all over the place last year, and this is just not allowable. Windy counted 14 bad snaps in that one game alone. There is zero tolerance for bad snaps. That is not in the same league as quarterback development.

And we went into this year knowing Trubs had issues as well that he still showed issues with this first game.

Again Whitehair is learning new protections, a new offense and a new snap technique.

I have zero tolerance for bad play period. It needs to get improved and one needs to hold everyone to the same standard.

Seattle is a perfect example of what happens when you have a different standard for the QB than everyone else. It can fracture a locker room and cause players to tune out the coach.

Bronze65

Liked Posts:
And we went into this year knowing Trubs had issues as well that he still showed issues with this first game.

Again Whitehair is learning new protections, a new offense and a new snap technique.

I have zero tolerance for bad play period. It needs to get improved and one needs to hold everyone to the same standard.

Seattle is a perfect example of what happens when you have a different standard for the QB than everyone else. It can fracture a locker room and cause players to tune out the coach.

How the fuck can you compare learning how to be a quarterback vs. snapping a fucking ball? Are you really this stupid?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How the fuck can you compare learning how to be a quarterback vs. snapping a fucking ball? Are you really this stupid?

If my manager fucks up and my junior staff fuck up then I evaluate them fairly based on their role.

They are compensated for fact that they have different roles. Do you think if a CEO fucks up he can be like but my job is harder? No he got paid a fuck ton precisely because his job is harder.

So all that matters is neither player performed their role to the standards required. If Trubs doesn't want to be graded like all QBs are then he should give back his money. But until then what I saw was a C and QB not performing at the level their roles require. I have no need or desire to coddle Trubs just because his job is harder just like I don't coddle my manager because his job is harder than junior staff.

Everyone has to perform according to their role and of they don't they need to be held accountable. NFL defenses don't care that playing QB is hard.