Hiestand on Whitehair snapping issues and James Daniels

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably. I mean, I think Daniels being out there and CW at LG makes for the best 5. At least, I think. HH disagrees because apparently you don't play rookies, or something.

The article states Daniels isn't ready and doesnt know the protections / play consistently.

Bad snaps suck but getting your qb flattened up the middle due to a missed assignment has injury potential.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And the solution would be for Whitehair to play guard, call the protections while Daniels takes care of the snap.

That is how it is different than Trubisky.

This assumes Daniels is better. Obviously the Bears feel he doesn't know the offense and protections well enough. The bad snaps did not cost us the game. Daniels missing a protection and a D player taking Trubs head off can cost us a whole lot more.

If HH is lying and Daniels knows everything he needs to know to start at Center then we have much bigger problems and all the people slobbering over us getting one of the best OL coaches in the NFL need to explain that.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
This assumes Daniels is better. Obviously the Bears feel he doesn't know the offense and protections well enough. The bad snaps did not cost us the game. Daniels missing a protection and a D player taking Trubs head off can cost us a whole lot more.

If HH is lying and Daniels knows everything he needs to know to start at Center then we have much bigger problems and all he people slobbering over us getting one of the best OL coaches in the NFL need to explain that.

yes, but there are ways to simplify this as well. I mean, plenty of guards call protections. Plenty of guards slap the thigh of the center to tell them when to snap the ball in a noisy stadium.

What is really the issue with protections with a center, you are either taking the tackle to the left or the tackle to the right or the blitzer up the middle. Dont call a protection where the guy has to take a defensive end stunting to the middle across the formation. If he screws up, Mitch wants to roll out anyway.

Its the same "not ready" that only has a player ready by playing in the games.

Its hard to say Whitehair was ready when he started his first pro game having a week to prepare to play center.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
This is simply not true. See below. We all know that at some point we were going to reach the point where Whitehair is blamed for Trubs shitting the bed. It is Nagy's fault, It is Whitehairs fault. It is Fox's fault because he didn't teach him anything last year. What next? Are we going to blame global warming for the fact Trubs misses a wide open WR or doesn't scramble for 1 yard when there is no one within 5 yards of him?

Some will do everything in their power to blame things on everyone else but the most important player on the team. Plenty of people fucked up including Trubs. Trying to excuse Trubs poor play by blaming it on others is silly. There were times Nagy fucked up, there were times Whitehair fucked up and there were most certainly times Trubs fucked up. Not everything wrong with Trubs is other people's fault or due to the new system. He has bad fucking habits he needs to correct.

You were the first person to mention Trubisky in this thread. L

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You were the first person to mention Trubisky in this thread. L

Because I am smart enough to know where the convo was headed. Hold everyone else accountable but then cry when people criticize Trubs. Makes sense.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Because I am smart enough to know where the convo was headed. Hold everyone else accountable but then cry when people criticize Trubs. Makes sense.

I bet my list of criticisms for Trubisky's play on Sunday is just as long as yours mate. It's just that this thread was about CODY WHITEHAIR'S mistakes. You can talk about Trubisky in the 17 other threads about him on the front page. You even posted in a couple of them.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
yes, but there are ways to simplify this as well. I mean, plenty of guards call protections. Plenty of guards slap the thigh of the center to tell them when to snap the ball in a noisy stadium.

What is really the issue with protections with a center, you are either taking the tackle to the left or the tackle to the right or the blitzer up the middle. Dont call a protection where the guy has to take a defensive end stunting to the middle across the formation. If he screws up, Mitch wants to roll out anyway.

Its hard to say Whitehair was ready when he started his first pro game having a week to prepare to play center.

Can you provide a list of guards that call protections since you claim it is plenty?

What evidence do you have that Daniels is better than Whitehair or Kush beyond the fact he was drafted high? I mean the same people that drafted him high don't want to play him.

There are a lot of things that go into playing center that are more important than the snap. And frankly pretending like this alleged 14 bad snaps is some issue as if QBs across the league don't have to deal with snaps that are low or high seems odd. There is no mechanism presented here to determine how big a problem this is relative to all the other centers in the NFL.

All I know is that Whitehair sucked snapping the ball and needs to get better. There is a huge quantum leap being made here that just because Whitehair sucks snapping the ball that Daniels is ready to not only play center but kick one of Kush or Whitehair to the bench. It would be like me saying just because Trubs was bad on Sunday, we should start Daniel at QB because he must be better since he had that great game against KC.

I have no idea of Daniels is better than Kush or Whitehair. The issue is neither do any of you calling for a change.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Can you provide a list of guards that call protections since you claim it is plenty?

What evidence do you have that Daniels is better than Whitehair or Kush beyond the fact he was drafted high? I mean the same people that drafted him high don't want to play him.

There are a lot of things that go into playing center that are more important than the snap. And frankly pretending like this alleged 14 bad snaps is some issue as if QBs across the league don't have to deal with snaps that are low or high seems odd. There is no mechanism presented here to determine how big a problem this is relative to all the other centers in the NFL.

All I know is that Whitehair sucked snapping the ball and needs to get better. There is a huge quantum leap being made here that just because Whitehair sucks snapping the ball that Daniels is ready to not only play center but kick one of Kush or Whitehair to the bench. It would be like me saying just because Trubs was bad on Sunday, we should start Daniel at QB because he must be better since he had that great game against KC.

I have no idea of Daniels is better than Kush or Whitehair. The issue is neither do any of you calling for a change.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I bet my list of criticisms for Trubisky's play on Sunday is just as long as yours mate. It's just that this thread was about CODY WHITEHAIR'S mistakes. You can talk about Trubisky in the 17 other threads about him on the front page. You even posted in a couple of them.

And I commented on the harshness of the criticism here compared to the kid gloves I am seeing in these other threads by the same people. So the point still stands. I don't care if you want to be harsh or if you want to use kid gloves. Just be consistent and evaluate people the same way. Both of these guys are professionals and they are paid a lot of money to produce.

Fans have a tendency to coddle QBs in a way they don't do with anyone else. Even coaches do and we already saw one example of it allegedly ruining a team in Seattle. So yes when I see people coddling Trubs while at the same time taking every other player to task for their shitty performance, I am going to point it out. You aren't going to change my view on the matter but hey if you want to keep arguing about it then I am down.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It's not just protections, it's knowing which guy to get on pulls and when and who to combo block etc.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
And I commented on the harshness of the criticism here compared to the kid gloves I am seeing in these other threads by the same people. So the point still stands. I don't care if you want to be harsh or if you want to use kid gloves. Just be consistent and evaluate people the same way. Both of these guys are professionals and they are paid a lot of money to produce.

Fans have a tendency to coddle QBs in a way they don't do with anyone else. Even coaches do and we already saw one example of it allegedly ruining a team in Seattle. So yes when I see people coddling Trubs while at the same time taking every other player to task for their shitty performance, I am going to point it out. You aren't going to change my view on the matter but hey if you want to keep arguing about it then I am down.

Find me one person on this board who has said that Trubisky didn't miss throws, didn't lose his poise in the final 2 minutes, and wasn't looking to bail out too quickly. If you do this I'll praise your effort to spread the truth about Trubisky's performance and agree with you.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I find it very disappointing that a person who was supposedly the best at his position (Daniels) in all of college sports and was drafted high in the 2nd round, was unable to earn a starting role on a 5-11 team with a meh Oline. How bad were the rest of the centers in college ball last year?

Reactions: Myk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Find me one person on this board who has said that Trubisky didn't miss throws, didn't lose his poise in the final 2 minutes, and wasn't looking to bail out too quickly. If you do this I'll praise your effort to spread the truth about Trubisky's performance and agree with you.

The issue is the stated reasons for his doing so. I already gave you 3 examples in this thread of people trying to blame Whitehair for Trubisky's performance.

I don't think some are taking into account that Whitehair's bad snaps directly affect Trubisky's performance.

I remember every shotgun snap being right in Trub's face mask. That's simply too high of a snap and that split second of losing track of the field will kill a QB.

I did not watch close enough, but would you say a high percentage of Trubs bad throws were after bad snaps?

Like come on Briggs, you can't tell me you can't see the implications of the above. There is no proof that there is any causation between Whitehair and Trubs. People just assuming or hoping there is one because they don't want to face the possibility that Trubs simply sucked of his own accord.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The issue is the stated reasons for his doing so. I already gave you 3 examples in this thread of people trying to blame Whitehair for Trubisky's performance.

Like come on Briggs, you can't tell me you can't see the implications of the above. There is no proof that there is any causation between Whitehair and Trubs. People just assuming or hoping there is one because they don't want to face the possibility that Trubs simply sucked of his own accord.

Do you think that a poor snap has not effect on the QB?

Having to move your eyes to track the ball and move your hands throws off timing and your ability to keep your eyes on the defense. A high shotgun snap makes the RPO hand off more difficult as the QB must get the ball down in the RBs first step to have it in the right place.

I do not know how much of an effect it had on Trubisky, probably not huge, but it is a factor.

That being said I am not sure that Daniels will be better or that he should be playing, but the snap issue is one that needs to be sorted out one way or the other in a shotgun, timing based offense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think Whitehair gets to the bye week to get the snaps under control before you put Daniels in.

Kush played okay. He had a couple of plays where Daniels wopped him, but that is to be expected with a player of Daniels ability.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Even if the off target snap had a 5-10% effect on the play going negative that should be an easy 5-10% to correct.

The Bears have got to fix the simple things in addition to the bigger QB and play calling issues.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Daniels turned 21 today, will be A very good pro IMO

dawags

Liked Posts:
It's already getting better, none of the snaps went over Trubisky's head.

Mr. Kyng

Liked Posts:
I don't give a damn about snaps does he know who to block and can he do it effectively? Does it need to get better duh; is it a huge issue no, if it was either Kush or Daniel's or Grasu would be the center...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk