Hopkins on the move...to Chicago???

Nelly

Liked Posts:
View attachment 29464

OK which of you fucksticks are these two?

I don't get the Hopkins talk. It doesn't make a shred of sense here, not with Moore and Mooney already in the fold and having traded a premium asset for Claypool.

DE does, so I get the smoke there. Wanny talked about how when he was in Dallas, they waited til the middle of taining camp to sign Charles Haley after they got a look at the guys they already had and were able to determine that yea, they needed to make a move there. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Bears do something similar, waiting until mandatory mini camps at least once guys can put the pads on. If they like the potential of Gipson and Robinson while having signed Walker and Greene, it doesn't make a lot of sense to sign another guy to take snaps from those young guys. This isn't a year where we're looking to make a run in the playoffs, so in the grand scheme of things, if you've got something in Gipson and/or Robinson, i'd rather find that out for sure and then make a bigger move for a DE next year if i have to. Or as said, pick up a guy on a one-year deal in training camp.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I don't get the Hopkins talk. It doesn't make a shred of sense here, not with Moore and Mooney already in the fold and having traded a premium asset for Claypool.

DE does, so I get the smoke there. Wanny talked about how when he was in Dallas, they waited til the middle of taining camp to sign Charles Haley after they got a look at the guys they already had and were able to determine that yea, they needed to make a move there. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Bears do something similar, waiting until mandatory mini camps at least once guys can put the pads on. If they like the potential of Gipson and Robinson while having signed Walker and Greene, it doesn't make a lot of sense to sign another guy to take snaps from those young guys. This isn't a year where we're looking to make a run in the playoffs, so in the grand scheme of things, if you've got something in Gipson and/or Robinson, i'd rather find that out for sure and then make a bigger move for a DE next year if i have to. Or as said, pick up a guy on a one-year deal in training camp.
The Hopkins talk doesn’t need to make sense. Talk is all it is. They need something to discuss during this downtime of the offseason..

And I’d say Poles/Flus would disagree with you regarding making a “run” in the playoffs. Every GM/coach looks to do that. If he sees the opportunity to make the team better I think he will do it. But I don’t think Poles is going to sign a DE just to sign one. He’s improved the roster enough this year where they can at least fight in a crap division.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
The Hopkins talk doesn’t need to make sense. Talk is all it is. They need something to discuss during this downtime of the offseason..
I mean for the team. Hopkins doesn't make sense on this team for many reasons. Of course people will go "oh star player get him!" but that doesn't mean it makes any sense for us to, or for Hopkins to come here.

And I’d say Poles/Flus would disagree with you regarding making a “run” in the playoffs. Every GM/coach looks to do that. If he sees the opportunity to make the team better I think he will do it. But I don’t think Poles is going to sign a DE just to sign one. He’s improved the roster enough this year where they can at least fight in a crap division.
Meh. If Poles was interested in trying to make a big run this year then he would have spent more in free agency. He's taking a long-term measured approach of building through the draft which is a slower but more sustainable burn. I bet both think they can/could make the playoffs but i doubt either of them would tell you they think they'll be able to make a run in the playoffs if you were able to get them to speak candidly.

I would bet they're eyeing a 2022 Lions type season, just hopefully not losing as much early and then peaking come playoff time and hope that 9-8 is enough to get you into the playoffs in the lesser conference, or maybe even winning 10 games if things break right for them (particularly on the D-line). Who knows though.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Yeah i think in Poles' mind winning isn't really all that big a deal next year and the plan is for that one more offseason to really be where he wants this team to be. I don't think he wants to lose but just isn't that concerned about it as much as he is to keeping this rebuild going. I think what he does at DE in the next few weeks or so will tell us how he really feels about it. Obviously if he shocks us all and goes and signs one or even two of the bigger name free agent DE's out there or makes a big trade for one then he's thinking this team can win this year and make a playoff run, but he already has 4 DE's on the roster with Gipson, Robinson, Greene and Walker.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I mean for the team. Hopkins doesn't make sense on this team for many reasons. Of course people will go "oh star player get him!" but that doesn't mean it makes any sense for us to, or for Hopkins to come here.

Meh. If Poles was interested in trying to make a big run this year then he would have spent more in free agency. He's taking a long-term measured approach of building through the draft which is a slower but more sustainable burn. I bet both think they can/could make the playoffs but i doubt either of them would tell you they think they'll be able to make a run in the playoffs if you were able to get them to speak candidly.

I would bet they're eyeing a 2022 Lions type season, just hopefully not losing as much early and then peaking come playoff time and hope that 9-8 is enough to get you into the playoffs in the lesser conference, or maybe even winning 10 games if things break right for them (particularly on the D-line). Who knows though.
For me we'd have to be able to trade one of Claypool or Mooney first to sign Hopkins and i love Mooney so i'd hate to see him go but a team with DJ Moore and Nuke as your #1 and #2 WR's with Claypool or Mooney being a great #3 would be dangerous especially if Fields takes the leap in the passing game that we're all hoping for. I don't think this would happen, just saying it would be a great addition to this offense.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
For me we'd have to be able to trade one of Claypool or Mooney first to sign Hopkins and i love Mooney so i'd hate to see him go but a team with DJ Moore and Nuke as your #1 and #2 WR's with Claypool or Mooney being a great #3 would be dangerous especially if Fields takes the leap in the passing game that we're all hoping for. I don't think this would happen, just saying it would be a great addition to this offense.
No. End discussion.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Yeah i think in Poles' mind winning isn't really all that big a deal next year and the plan is for that one more offseason to really be where he wants this team to be. I don't think he wants to lose but just isn't that concerned about it as much as he is to keeping this rebuild going. I think what he does at DE in the next few weeks or so will tell us how he really feels about it. Obviously if he shocks us all and goes and signs one or even two of the bigger name free agent DE's out there or makes a big trade for one then he's thinking this team can win this year and make a playoff run, but he already has 4 DE's on the roster with Gipson, Robinson, Greene and Walker.

I'm not sure I buy that at all. I think they want to start winning in 2023. Sure, with 2 picks in the 1st round next year, I expect they are looking to be even better next year. But, I do not see them doing that at the expense of 2023. It's the NFL, wait too long figure out how to win and it will be someone else with your job next year doing the new figuring.

I also would not underestimate how the new stadium plans tie into all of this. It's probably a lot easier to get investors when they see a winning or at least extremely competitive product on the field and can simply transfer that vision to the new stadium vs it all still just being some long down the road dream.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm not sure I buy that at all. I think they want to start winning in 2023. Sure, with 2 picks in the 1st round next year, I expect they are looking to be even better next year. But, I do not see them doing that at the expense of 2023. It's the NFL, wait too long figure out how to win and it will be someone else with your job next year doing the new figuring.

I also would not underestimate how the new stadium plans tie into all of this. It's probably a lot easier to get investors when they see a winning or at least extremely competitive product on the field and can simply transfer that vision to the new stadium vs it all still just being some long down the road dream.
Maybe, it was just my opinion and we'll never actually know the real answer. I also did say i don't think the plan is to lose, just that it won't be that big a deal to Poles if they do. I don't think Poles is in any way in danger of losing his job and think his plan that it was going to be a 2-3 year rebuild was agreed to before he got the job.

Luckily the plans aren't to move into a new stadium in 2023 and these investors are very smart people, which is why they have the money to invest in the first place, so i don't think having a bad or average 2023 season will turn them away especially if Fields takes that next step in his game.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

fuckin maddening how bears fans cannot comprehend having more than 2 decent receivers on the roster at the same time

3 wrs with potential!!?? OH FUCK

3 wrs and a rookie!! And they need mid level contracts OOOOH FUCK TRADE EVERYONE

looololol

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Yea but that's not realistic. What would he get for Claypool at this point? A 3rd rounder, maybe? Same for Mooney, coming off an injury and not ready for OTAs. It'd be horrible value and Hopkins isn't a guy you're picking up at this point in order to build a contender for 2024 and beyond.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yea but that's not realistic. What would he get for Claypool at this point? A 3rd rounder, maybe? Same for Mooney, coming off an injury and not ready for OTAs. It'd be horrible value and Hopkins isn't a guy you're picking up at this point in order to build a contender for 2024 and beyond.
I would take a 3rd for Claypool right now. Horrible value was the #32 pick for him. Like i said, i don't think it would ever happen and was just saying what i would need them to do to get Nuke who i would give a 3 year deal to at 30 yrs old.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I would take a 3rd for Claypool right now. Horrible value was the #32 pick for him. Like i said, i don't think it would ever happen and was just saying what i would need them to do to get Nuke who i would give a 3 year deal to at 30 yrs old.
Why would you prioritize young, elite physical talent and building through the draft and then trade your young, physically elite talent in order to sign a big money guy on the wrong side of 30?

That's why I say it makes no sense, cause it doesn't. I get that Hopkins is a great receiver though likely not his old self entirely, and he's only going to be helping less as your title contention window continues to open.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
this nuk stuff has to stop, the guy is 30 and wants to play for a contender unless a team wants to seriously overpay to get him, neither is something the bears offer. as for the claypool stuff, people keep equating it to the 32nd pick, at the time of the trade that would have been the 43 pick or so...add on top of it if claypool stayed healthy and played well it could have added another win or two lowering the pick even further.
Sounds like claypool has taken this offseason seriously and wants to earn a second contract, we'll see in training camp how he's developed chemistry with fields and if getsy can utilize him properly in his offense.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Why would you prioritize young, elite physical talent and building through the draft and then trade your young, physically elite talent in order to sign a big money guy on the wrong side of 30?

That's why I say it makes no sense, cause it doesn't. I get that Hopkins is a great receiver though likely not his old self entirely, and he's only going to be helping less as your title contention window continues to open.
I agree and this is why i've been saying it won't happen. I was just saying if Poles did want to sign Nuke what i would think would need to happen first which would be to trade one of Claypool or Mooney, preferably Claypool.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think you'd get a 3rd for either of these guys right now. That might change of course.