Hopkins on the move...to Chicago???

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't get the Hopkins talk. It doesn't make a shred of sense here, not with Moore and Mooney already in the fold and having traded a premium asset for Claypool.

DE does, so I get the smoke there. Wanny talked about how when he was in Dallas, they waited til the middle of taining camp to sign Charles Haley after they got a look at the guys they already had and were able to determine that yea, they needed to make a move there. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Bears do something similar, waiting until mandatory mini camps at least once guys can put the pads on. If they like the potential of Gipson and Robinson while having signed Walker and Greene, it doesn't make a lot of sense to sign another guy to take snaps from those young guys. This isn't a year where we're looking to make a run in the playoffs, so in the grand scheme of things, if you've got something in Gipson and/or Robinson, i'd rather find that out for sure and then make a bigger move for a DE next year if i have to. Or as said, pick up a guy on a one-year deal in training camp.

Why not? When he got back from suspension the guy played like one of the best players in the league. 717 yards in 9 games.

You've got the money. It doesn't cost a draft pick. It's not like he's going to get a 5 year deal. It'll be a 1 or 2 year deal most likely.

Why not maximize Fields rookie contract?

They have the room for Hopkins AND a vet DE still. Neither of those signings effects anything long term.

Mooney and Claypool are OK.... but Hopkins is a HOF WR that's 31 in a few days and shows no signs of slowing down if you saw him last year. There's plenty of players of his caliber that put up 1,000+ seasons well into their 30's.

Hopkins and Houston at DE. Why not? I like that better than throwing big money after Yannick.

At the very least we know about Fields. I mean if he can't succeed throwing to DJ and DeAndre he's not succeeding ever right?

What's the downside here? What's the move this is preventing?

EDIT: I don't think this happens.... I just don't think it's crazy either.

Last edited:

napo55

Liked Posts:
Wou
I agree and this is why i've been saying it won't happen. I was just saying if Poles did want to sign Nuke what i would think would need to happen first which would be to trade one of Claypool or Mooney, preferably Claypool.
Would you want to keep Claypool if he put up 865 yards, his average his first two years in Pittsburgh?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Why not? When he got back from suspension the guy played like one of the best players in the league. 717 yards in 9 games.

You've got the money. It doesn't cost a draft pick. It's not like he's going to get a 5 year deal. It'll be a 1 or 2 year deal most likely.

They have the room for Hopkins AND a vet DE still. Neither of those signings effects anything long term.

Mooney and Claypool are OK.... but Hopkins is a HOF WR that's 31 in a few days and shows no signs of slowing down if you saw him last year. There's plenty of players of his caliber that put up 1,000+ seasons well into their 30's.

Hopkins and Houston at DE. Why not? I like that better than throwing big money after Yannick.

At the very least we know about Fields. I mean if he can't succeed throwing to DJ and DeAndre he's not succeeding ever right?

Hopkins is great and would make a ton of sense. He's my favorite receiver in the league so I'd love to him on the Bears. Like you said, I don't think it's likely but he'd instantly be the 2nd best player (at a minimum) on the offense if acquired. He's never been a burner, always been a possession guy who catches damn near everything thrown to him regardless of how accurate the initial pass was.

I think it all comes down to how one perceives the current WR room. I believe the current room is a significant upgrade over last seasons but I still don't think it's all world by any means. Mooney has the ability to be a #2 caliber receiver when healthy - will he be healthy and the same player after the injury? Claypool has shown he can be a quality receiver but can he become a consistent #2 receiver or is he destined to be a #3 (at best) receiver on a title team?

I fully admit that I hated the WR room last year at all points during the season. I watched every game that Hopkins played while with the Texans. He was a #1 right away and never stopped being a #1 receiver. Right now, I consider Claypool and Mooney to be closer to #3 WRs at best on a title team but hope that midway through 2023-2024 season that I'll be saying they've elevated their games to be a #2 caliber receiver on a title caliber team. Hopkins and Moore would be an elite duo immediately so if there's an opportunity to acquire him, I'd think strongly about doing it.

Plus the Bears would gain the added benefit of getting rid of Velus, ESB and Pettis. So yes, sign me up.

That said, unless they make a couple more moves (at least) to the defensive line, I'm not expecting them to be in any position to win anything of substance.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hopkins is great and would make a ton of sense. He's my favorite receiver in the league so I'd love to him on the Bears. Like you said, I don't think it's likely but he'd instantly be the 2nd best player (at a minimum) on the offense if acquired. He's never been a burner, always been a possession guy who catches damn near everything thrown to him regardless of how accurate the initial pass was.

I think it all comes down to how one perceives the current WR room. I believe the current room is a significant upgrade over last seasons but I still don't think it's all world by any means. Mooney has the ability to be a #2 caliber receiver when healthy - will he be healthy and the same player after the injury? Claypool has shown he can be a quality receiver but can he become a consistent #2 receiver or is he destined to be a #3 (at best) receiver on a title team?

I fully admit that I hated the WR room last year at all points during the season. I watched every game that Hopkins played while with the Texans. He was a #1 right away and never stopped being a #1 receiver. Right now, I consider Claypool and Mooney to be closer to #3 WRs at best on a title team but hope that midway through 2023-2024 season that I'll be saying they've elevated their games to be a #2 caliber receiver on a title caliber team. Hopkins and Moore would be an elite duo immediately so if there's an opportunity to acquire him, I'd think strongly about doing it.

Plus the Bears would gain the added benefit of getting rid of Velus, ESB and Pettis. So yes, sign me up.

That said, unless they make a couple more moves (at least) to the defensive line, I'm not expecting them to be in any position to win anything of substance.

Sign Houston or Clark. If the season is going well…. In the playoff hunt and Fields is balling…thats when you make a trade for one of Washington’s DE’s or someone else. If it’s not going well keep picks for the draft.

I admittedly am just having some fun spitballing here….. but DJ and DeAndre is fun to dream about.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Wou

Would you want to keep Claypool if he put up 865 yards, his average his first two years in Pittsburgh?
If he put up 865 yds next year? How many TD's to go with that 865 yds? It would also depend on what kind of contract he's wanting after next year. He also has on and off field issues.

Canth

Liked Posts:

The part that I previously agreed about and thought was dumb was the idea that you should trade away Mooney or Claypool if you somehow acquired Hopkins.

I would be onboard with the idea of just adding Hopkins. I just thought it was dumb when it was suggested that if you did that, the next move should be to get rid of one of your previous #2/3 guys.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The part that I previously agreed about and thought was dumb was the idea that you should trade away Mooney or Claypool if you somehow acquired Hopkins.

I would be onboard with the idea of just adding Hopkins. I just thought it was dumb when it was suggested that if you did that, the next move should be to get rid of one of your previous #2/3 guys.

Dump Pettis and ESB.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Dump Pettis and ESB.
If i can get a 3rd for Claypool after adding Nuke then i'm taking it. Both Claypool and Mooney will need new contracts after next year and with Nuke there's no reason to sign Claypool and Mooney to new deals so take a 3rd if you can get it over letting him walk for nothing. Just my opinion obviously.

Canth

Liked Posts:
If i can get a 3rd for Claypool after adding Nuke then i'm taking it. Both Claypool and Mooney will need new contracts after next year and with Nuke there's no reason to sign Claypool and Mooney to new deals so take a 3rd if you can get it over letting him walk for nothing. Just my opinion obviously.

I don't see anyone giving a 3rd for either Mooney or Claypool at this point of the offseason, so I consider that a moot point.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No one is giving up a 3rd for Claypool. Hopkins also isn’t even remotely considering Chicago. And Poles isn’t even considering Hopkins either.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don't see anyone giving a 3rd for either Mooney or Claypool at this point of the offseason, so I consider that a moot point.
Not much that gets talked about on here does happen so just playing the part.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
No one is giving up a 3rd for Claypool. Hopkins also isn’t even remotely considering Chicago. And Poles isn’t even considering Hopkins either.
Thanks, do you know what Claypool, Hopkins and Poles are having for dinner tonight to?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I initially thought that. Then I saw he was considering Houston again.