How does it taste St. Louis?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who are you and whats this about railing fat chicks? You better know your superior and his fetishes.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
no thanks bro. I think I'll celebrate beating the cards tonight. We're gonna win it this year but we can't afford to let this party chance tonight pass bye.

Not my point. Beating them is great. I feel great about it. At the same time we really haven't won anything yet. If we go out like we did in 84 or in 2003 and screw the pooch with the goal in site then we will look ridiculous. It is even more ridiculous when we go out and act like poor sports after beating the Cardinals.

I've seen this happen enough times to know that until that final out is in that final glove anything can happen. I am sure we have the talent to win it all this year. But like everything the baseball gods can shine on you one week and rain on you another. So lets be happy about this but lets not rub the nose of the Cards in this too much. It's like beating Green Bay. Until we hoist another Lombardi all that boasting just seems hollow.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The Cards are very good and will continue to be very good but winning this series really changes the mindset of fear or whatever you wanna call it when it comes to playing them

On another site there's been a theme about big brother and little brother. Little brother finally won. Nothing is the same. From now on when they meet it will be as equals.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not like we dominated them or are a shoe in to win the division next year. They were very much in every game of the series and probably feel like a few plays going the other way would have been enough. This is a new stage of the rivalry where the teams are closer to evenly matched, but we have not decisively come out on top yet and they are thinking about reasserting themselves next year.

Personally I am savoring the hell out of this series and looking forward to whatever happens next.

OBearsWon Kinobi

Liked Posts:
Not my point. Beating them is great. I feel great about it. At the same time we really haven't won anything yet. If we go out like we did in 84 or in 2003 and screw the pooch with the goal in site then we will look ridiculous. It is even more ridiculous when we go out and act like poor sports after beating the Cardinals.

I've seen this happen enough times to know that until that final out is in that final glove anything can happen. I am sure we have the talent to win it all this year. But like everything the baseball gods can shine on you one week and rain on you another. So lets be happy about this but lets not rub the nose of the Cards in this too much. It's like beating Green Bay. Until we hoist another Lombardi all that boasting just seems hollow.

Completely understand where you're coming from buddy. I guess it comes from years of that "smugness" that Cardinal fans have walked around with for years. The night we beat Pitt to advance to the NLDS we were cheering and a smug smarmy Cards fan walked by and told us with absolutely no doubt in his mind that it was all well and good that we won but didn't stand a chance in the NLDS.
I might have been a little over the top in bragging/shit talking but this deserved to be celebrated even if they don't win it all. Every Cubs fan should consider this year a monumental success regardless of what happens next. The best part is we are young, the farm system is still loaded and we should be in contention for the foreseeable future. Nothing wrong with letting the Cards know that the old ways are dead and welcome to the new age......que the music.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Hope the guy from the St Louis Dispatch who mocked the death of Ron Santo feels good.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
In fairness, the Cardinals, their fans, their St. Louis style pizza, their organization, and the Arch all suck.

And I'm a Sox fan.

Don't leave out toasted ravioli, their contribution to the culinary world. It sucks, too.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
In fairness, the Cardinals, their fans, their St. Louis style pizza, their organization, and the Arch all suck.

And I'm a Sox fan.

Don't leave out toasted ravioli, their contribution to the culinary world. It sucks, too.
Ted Drewes Custard is pretty good and Pappy's Smokehouse is tasty BBQ though.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
I have been a Cardinals fan my entire life, we have lost in the postseason before and it sucks obviously. Glad Cubs fans have something to celebrate though, it's been a long time. The Cubs are an exciting team to watch and I will be watching them for the rest of the ride. No need for Cub fans to be douchebags though, and none of the Cub fans I know personally have been.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ted Drewes Custard is pretty good and Pappy's Smokehouse is tasty BBQ though.
We get Ted Drewes every time we are in StL. I like StL personally, as half of my family hails from there (the other half Chicago)...but I hate the Cardinals as much as I hate the Packers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck off asshat

Huh?

I can never turn away good BBQ especially with a side of watermelon and gritz. Haven't been to Louisiana in awhile but need to get back there!

Last edited:

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Huh?

I can never turn away good BBQ especially with a side of watermelon and gritz. Haven't been to Louisiana in awhile but need to get back there!
WTF are you talking about?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
While many Cards fans have been classy, Cardinal Nation criticized the Cubs for celebrating " on the field" and "too long", and told the teAm full of rookies to "act like you've been there".

Glad to hear one sane St Louis radio guy shout that down, reminding their dbag fans that the Cards did the same, and celebrated on top of the dugout, spraying champagne.

Their fans, in general, are smug, pompous and instantly bitter when they lose.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I hate Cardinals fans, with the exception of a few very close friends that are among them. My guys called and texted to congratulate and I knew they would. So many of them are just awful though. The funny thing is St. Louis is one of my favorite cities. I get there a couple of times a year on business and sometimes on pleasure. They have great restaurants (PI Pizza is tremendous and helped throw a great party for a friend who was suffering from a terminal illness last year, he passed away shortly after), a couple nice music venues (I love the Pageant) and the people are pretty nice, sometimes even during baseball season unless they go all meatball-y on you. The funny thing is though the fans weren't always this way. Thirty years ago Cardinals fans would come up to Wrigley and we all had fun together. Something changed though around the time of LaRussa, who I hate with a white hot fury btw, and it's stayed that way. It was satisfying to beat them but for my Cardinal fan friends and others like them I do feel their pain and take nothing away from their city.

On an only partially related note the Cubs were pretty damned nice to that dying friend as well. They followed his condition on his blog, which was the horrible disease ALS, sent swag to the family and on the day he passed away put his name on the Wrigley Field Marquee. They later made his widow and two young sons feel like royalty when they hosted them for a game. Sheer class.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I grew up in STL but moved to CHI after graduating from Bradley in 1990. Been here 25 years now.

Was easy to become a Bulls fan, as there was no STL team, and Jordan, duh. What a wild run THAT was. That's how I met my wife.

Bears has also been a fairly easy transition (albeit painful) as the football Cardinals moved to Arizona and the Rams are not my team, so...I root for the Bears.

Blues/Blackhawks, that's been tough, saw them play a lot when I was a kid, still have a signed stick from Ed Kea. My best friend played hockey, and my brother won a Skate/Pass/Shoot contest got to travel with the Blues. But I've enjoyed watching the Blackhawks play.

Cubs/Cardinals, that's been really intense. My MOM has been trolling me, my brother, my cousin. They were all FAIRLY gracious in the loss, but there are a lot of STL people there that are total jerks about it. I think it's the whole STL/CHI thing, with Chicago being such a big city, the Cubs almost "America's Team" with people coming here to sit in the bleachers and get drunk, Cubs fans not always that knowledgeable, etc. But this year has been different. My wife is from Chicago, my kids born here, she grew up in Ravenswood, and we've always been "northsiders," as I lived on the Gold Coast, in Lincoln Village, Bucktown/Wicker Park, and Logan Square. This team, watching the "kids" come up, and grow, really develop, Madden and Theo, it's been very exciting. This is my team now, I just haven't been able to follow the Cardinals the last 20 years, too hard to get on tv, with baseball being my third favorite of the four major sports. We just bought a bunch of Cub gear, it's really all very cool, very exciting.

I get home to STL several times a year, love Imo's Pizza and Ted Drewes, it's a good city, small, very nice people, but the Cardinal fans DO tend to get a little nasty. LOL.