How Many Sacks Will Fields Take on Sunday and Moving Forward?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
This is an honest question, with the O-Line fully healthy, How many sacks will Justin take on Sunday? And for the rest of the season?

If there was one thing Bagent was good at, it was evading pressure and avoiding sacks. When evaluating Justin Fields over these next few games, I think it is pivotal to see how he compares in avoiding taking sacks.

With Fields at QB the Bears were averaging 4 Sacks allowed per game, which was 29th in the league. With Bagent at QB, the Bears allowed on average of 1 sack per game, which over the span of the last 3 games is tied for best in the league.

Before, I, as well as many others, have given Fields the excuse of playing behind a poor and unhealthy OLine. But the OLine is at full strength now and Bagent proved sacks can be avoided in this offense, even with a patchwork OLine. So moving forward there needs to be substantial improvement in this area for me to want to move forward with Fields. I want to see an average of 2.5 sacks or less moving forward. What say you?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think he will be sacked every time he goes back to pass and gets tackled behind the LOS or goes out of bounds before throwing the ball.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is an honest question, with the O-Line fully healthy, How many sacks will Justin take on Sunday? And for the rest of the season?

If there was one thing Bagent was good at, it was evading pressure and avoiding sacks. When evaluating Justin Fields over these next few games, I think it is pivotal to see how he compares in avoiding taking sacks.

With Fields at QB the Bears were averaging 4 Sacks allowed per game, which was 29th in the league. With Bagent at QB, the Bears allowed on average of 1 sack per game, which over the span of the last 3 games is tied for best in the league.

Before, I, as well as many others, have given Fields the excuse of playing behind a poor and unhealthy OLine. But the OLine is at full strength now and Bagent proved sacks can be avoided in this offense, even with a patchwork OLine. So moving forward there needs to be substantial improvement in this area for me to want to move forward with Fields. I want to see an average of 2.5 sacks or less moving forward. What say you?
We all want less sacks but we all also want more downfield throws. While I'd like Fields to pick up a few notes from his backup, I also know he'll still take more sacks because he's a big play QB and it comes with the territory.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
We all want less sacks but we all also want more downfield throws. While I'd like Fields to pick up a few notes from his backup, I also know he'll still take more sacks because he's a big play QB and it comes with the territory.

Yes, I agree. Thats why I am hoping for an improvement of 2.5 per game average. To average 4 when the backup averaged 1 is not a good look in my opinion.

This isn't Ohio State where your guys are 5* and the opponent has 3*s. You can't just sit back and wait for someone to break wide open. You have to operate the offense and create a rythm. You win more by sustaining Long methodical drives. Its what Brady did his whole career. Justin can still be a big play guy, but he needs to still improve his completion percentage and limit the negative plays. He makes the game too hard at times.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What do you mean? Elaborate..
They're still one of the worst teams in the NFL after two years of trying to rebuild. Poles has not drafted a single impact player that projects as a high level player in the next 4 years.

He traded away their best defensive player and is probably going to lose another one in free agency. All because he didn't draft those players.

None of his second year players look as good as Kmet Jenkins Johnson or Smith. The closest thing to a good player is Jaquan Brisker and he's absolutely ordinary.

They struggled mightily to beat the worst team in the NFL.

He spent draft capital on a position they didn't need because they loved how he cleaned up after his teammates in the meeting room.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
What plays is Getsy going to be calling for him, the quick 1, 2 dump offs or the hold the ball behind an oline letting players go free to the QB?

Bust

Liked Posts:
Probably 2-3 tbh. I would be more worried of ball security. His grip might be a bit loose, he could be prone to a lot of strip sacks/fumbles.

Fields has 35 fumbles in his career already, yuck! 4 fumbles this season before he got hurt. 27 picks and 115 sacks eaten in his career, yuck x2!!

When sacks/fumbles happen, besides loss of down the Bears are going backwards which equates to poor field position where the opponent is starting on their 40 yard line to start drives while the Bears are pinned on their side of the field. No wonder the Bears are 6-25 in games he starts!

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Fields has 35 fumbles in his career already, yuck! 4 fumbles this season before he got hurt. 27 picks and 115 sacks eaten in his career, yuck x2!!

When sacks/fumbles happen, besides loss of down the Bears are going backwards which equates to poor field position where the opponent is starting on their 40 yard line to start drives while the Bears are pinned on their side of the field. No wonder the Bears are 6-25 in games he starts!

Starting Field position is an underrated stat alot of fans overlook. And you are right, with Fields at QB we were dead last in the league. When I glanced at the stat earlier in the year when Fields was still QB our starting field position was the 24 yard line which was 32nd in the league. Now, after Bagent has played a few games, our starting position is at the 27.2 yard line which is 25th in the league.

In the past, I always put alot of the blame for this stat on the defense for failing to force 3 and outs and allowing teams to drive the length of the field on them. To me it seemed like Justin was put in a tough position to succeed.

But, after watching Bagent play, I'm having to second guess myself. Defense still takes blame. And yes, they are improving. But Bagent has come in and has done a better job at converting on 3rd downs and at least moving the chains. With Justin, it feels like boom or bust. With Bagent, it felt like he could string a few first downs together and at least do his part in helping win the field position battle.

I will have to re-examine this stat again after the season. As I noted, the defense is playing somewhat better. Also the OLine is finally healthy. So maybe we keep improving in this area as it takes good complimentary football on both sides.

Last edited:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Fields will take way more sack than Bagent. But Bagent was throwing 3 yard passes so who really cares if the offense doesn’t get a 1st down with either QB?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really good post by @vabearsfan15 . Just like @Spartan 's "Fields is miserable in the fourth quarter" post, both are backed by stats and/or rankings. I would love to see more content like this.

Just shows that blaming the entire team - coaches included - to protect one player should be setting off alarms for regular fans that fan bois are manipulating the narrative.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Fields will take way more sack than Bagent. But Bagent was throwing 3 yard passes so who really cares if the offense doesn’t get a 1st down with either QB?

The Bears are actually decently efficient at converting on 3rd downs. They convert 43.6% of the time on third down which puts them at 7th best in the league. While Fields was QB they were 40.5%. Over the last 4 ganes with Bagent, the Bears were 48.1% which us fairly good.

Now if you are talking about simply just getting a 1st down, your point is well taken as the Bears aren't as good. They are 21st in the league averaging 19 total first downs a game. With Bagent at QB, the offense averaged 20.25 First downs a game which over the course of the season would be 12th best in the league. With Fields they were around 18.1 first downs which would be 24th in the league.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Really good post by @vabearsfan15 . Just like @Spartan 's "Fields is miserable in the fourth quarter" post, both are backed by stats and/or rankings. I would love to see more content like this.

Just shows that blaming the entire team - coaches included - to protect one player should be setting off alarms for regular fans that fan bois are manipulating the narrative.

I'm definitley still a big meatball and cheering for Justin Fields to suceed. He has demonstrated some really good potential at times.

At the same time, Tyson Bagents play has opened my eyes to some of the pitfalls of Field's game that I did not want to admit, but are now glaring.

Still though, it seems like consistent QB play in the NFL is becoming more and more difficult to find. Guys that had some temporary success are unable to sustain it. And it seems like where the league had so much potential in their young QBs, now everyone is second guessing who can actually play. So that leaves me hesitant to give up on someone with a high ceiling potential as it won't take as much as maybe once perceived to be a top 10 QB in the league. Just gotta realize part of that potential.

Last edited: