I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I never said they aren't impactful. I said their job is to put people in the right position by looking at the metrics, and letting data dictate their moves. Many managers are better at this than most, and it shows.
i mean, by your own statements it sounds like the cubs would be better off just having AI computers make the decisions for them then. since all a manager can do in your words is look at the advanced metrics and make the decision based off that

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
i mean, by your own statements it sounds like the cubs would be better off just having AI computers make the decisions for them then. since all a manager can do in your words is look at the advanced metrics and make the decision based off that

The only conclusion I can draw is that Craig is great at reading spreadsheets and that is how we determine that he's putting 'players in the right position and doing well'. Must be a great job, get paid a bunch of money to read off a spreadsheet and whatever happens doesn't matter because it's the player's fault for not performing. But damn did he read that spreadsheet well!

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The only conclusion I can draw is that Craig is great at reading spreadsheets and that is how we determine that he's putting 'players in the right position and doing well'. Must be a great job, get paid a bunch of money to read off a spreadsheet and whatever happens doesn't matter because it's the player's fault for not performing. But damn did he read that spreadsheet well!
1000_F_72297195_7mIeiBDkBmotKfnWxwimrgJ5lQUsvXDs.jpg
CRAIG COUNSELL'S REPLACEMENT EVERYONE!!!!

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'll never say Counsel is a bad manager, because he's not. He just wasn't needed at this particular time. I think Knox and I were one of the few that felt Ross was doing a very good job handling an under manned team. And since the idiot GM did little or nothing to improve his roster...why dump millions on a new manager particularly when the players busted their ass for the old one. If it was my team, that's the question I'd be asking.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Oh there is more to it than that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I will read this a bit today. Took a few days off from the Cubs.

This was Jed's quote so the vibe is sell unless they go into a win streak. But the reality is they are rolling play off teams except the Halos so shit is over.

Hoyer was then asked if selling at the Deadline was off the table.
“We have to play well this month,” Hoyer said. “You have to be a realist when you get to that point. That's not where we are mentally [right now], but yeah, always in this job, you have to be a realist. You have to make the best decisions for the organization based on the hand you're dealt that year. And we'll see what that is.”

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Common sense IMO is to get your corner OF open for Caissie and Canario.

Canario has 15 HR at AAA and Caissie is running a .390 OBA.

So that puts Happ and Tauchman on the bus and Bellinger if a team wants to deal with that contract.

Getting a return you really want a 3B prospect.

Rotation wise Taillon makes sense. By the time the ASG rolls Brown should be back so they have the arms available to make that deal.

I don't see a total flush. But they do need to retool and drop contract and open playing time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Another way of approaching this is getting Busch in at 3B. Bellinger makes sense at 1B if this happens

Cody will be a hard sell with his opt unless it is to a contender like the Yankees. They lost Rizzo and can play Cody.

So.thst makes sense for both sides.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'll never say Counsel is a bad manager, because he's not. He just wasn't needed at this particular time. I think Knox and I were one of the few that felt Ross was doing a very good job handling an under manned team. And since the idiot GM did little or nothing to improve his roster...why dump millions on a new manager particularly when the players busted their ass for the old one. If it was my team, that's the question I'd be asking.

Mixed bag. I think that the choice to compete and develop was the downfall.

They started great by trading up and starting to rebuild the farm. Then drafting pitching.

So the rotation and the depth that we have seen this year has been far better than the Theo years.

Hitting wise they have 2 corner OF and a CF on the team that are core pieces.

If you wait Shaw should become a strong 3B option as he matures.

So TBH the team is still in transition and our expectations are causing stress.

Going in no one thought that this was a play off conversation until Cody resigned. Then the drama started. Then a strong Apr caused the Kool aid to get the fans drunk

The rest of the year has shown a team that was in transition with injuries popping up that really kicks the tires off of any consistency that is needed to get winning streaks going.

As a realist it is a mixed bag. 220 M mixed bag and that reflects bad on Jed not the GM as the final word is on Jed not Hawkins

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So kinda blame the fan base. They expect more and forces Jed to make bad decisions like resigning Cody vs giving a year to mature PCA and Caissie.

They would have been better off getting tier 2 3B and letting Tauchman play CF and keep Morel playing DH

The Busch trade was a plus. Also Mike (Shota) was a plus. Yes he changed his first name. He is buying into America hard. Love that dude

CSF77

Liked Posts:
06/28/24Chicago Cubs placed RHP Keegan Thompson on the 15-day injured list retroactive to June 27, 2024. Right rib fracture.

06/28/24Chicago Cubs designated RHP Vinny Nittoli for assignment.

06/28/24Chicago Cubs signed free agent SS Jake Hager to a minor league contract.

06/28/24Chicago Cubs recalled RHP Ethan Roberts from Iowa Cubs

06/28/24Chicago Cubs selected the contract of RHP Jorge López from Iowa Cubs.

So that is one off of my check list. Lopez seems to have some anger issues that he needs to keep in check. We will see if he is an asset. Looking back at the numbers he seems like a decent pick up but I never watched him throw.

Roberts is a max effort type. So it is good to see him back up at the majors

It is a start. They do need to start putting out the word on who they are looking to sell soon.

oso4lyf

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
so if a manager is suuuuuuper limited in the impact they can have....whats the point in paying counsell damn near twice as much as the next highest paid manager in the sport?!?!
Because the guy who put this mess together did it? This Cubs team is failing at the most basic things of baseball. Base running, defense, etc.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Because the guy who put this mess together did it? This Cubs team is failing at the most basic things of baseball. Base running, defense, etc.
Shouldn’t a manager be teaching base running, defense, etc?

oso4lyf

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Absolutely. I'm just answering who was the idiot who paid him this much and just how far off this team has fallen under his watch. The lack of hitting was going to be a problem. But this Cubs team is awful at the most basic of things. Did you see the game today? It was absolutely comical to everyone except Steele

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
At the major league level, absolutely not. You have assistant coaches for a reason and if they arent doing it properly. It's probably not going to change at that level. We aren't talking HS or young college. Also, it wasn't your comment on them doing it bad but Im not sure it's bad. The only glaring one is third. Walking into the season, Swanson, Horner, Ballinger up the middle is rested one of the best in MLB. Now, add PCA and the defense doesn't change. Happ is an above average LF. Busch has been a + at first.

When you blow 17 saves is what is harmful and the plethora of one run games they keep losing. Yet again, that wasn't your comment just expanding.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
At the major league level, absolutely not. You have assistant coaches for a reason and if they arent doing it properly. It's probably not going to change at that level. We aren't talking HS or young college. Also, it wasn't your comment on them doing it bad but Im not sure it's bad. The only glaring one is third. Walking into the season, Swanson, Horner, Ballinger up the middle is rested one of the best in MLB. Now, add PCA and the defense doesn't change. Happ is an above average LF. Busch has been a + at first.

When you blow 17 saves is what is harmful and the plethora of one run games they keep losing. Yet again, that wasn't your comment just expanding.

The D has taken a step back this year. I doubt anyone will dispute that.

I did like Steele getting pissed off.

Justin-Steele-1-768x381.jpg

Ya wanted him to bash something.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
wake the f up.

x.com

I'm pretty sure his next pod cast is going to be primed.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obviously Counsell isn't taking the fall for this disaster but yeah be hasn't exactly been earning his massive salary. Injuries or not, Hoyer's seat has to be getting warm though.